"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 05-20-2004, 01:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to get a nice browned crust on bread?

it seems i never get a nice darkend crust with "white, Italian, or French" breads unless I am adding whole wheat to the mix.

After browsing thru the forum here i stumbled into the "Braided Loaves" or Braided Loaf topic... and saw the picture of the results.

I've tried egg washes, water washes, more steam, less steam, longer bake times, and hotter bake temps... all these in all sorts of combos.
But i still only get a blonde or speckeled loaf.

I made a couple loaves tonight testing out my new mixer and both came out smelling great but light colored crusted. I let it go a few extra minutes hoping for a darker crust but had to stop so i wouldnt burn the bottoms.

Someone mentioned a while back that I should take the loaf and turn it upside down directly on the oven rack for a while before its done.
Is this what you all do?

I never have a problem with the taste or texture of the bread but I am getting tired of blonde loaves.

Any help wouold be appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry

Old 05-20-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I don't know if this helps, but I have noticed much more even browning since I started baking with my baking stone. My braided challah used to brown in one area before the other, but now when I use my stone, it browns everywhere uniformly at the same time. I can now produce some pretty darn dark challah loaves. (not that I want to mind you, I prefer a light golden color) My guess is the stone evenly absorbs and distributes heat, eliminating hot spots.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Yeah, I have been wanting a baking stone but have yet to get to one of the home centers that sell the larger unglazed tiles.

what is purturbing is that the bottom crusts always come out nice. I currently use a set of old baking sheets that my grandmother bought almost 70 years ago (or longer). Over the years they have developed that deep dark patina from wear and tear that turn out great bottom crusts on everything. now if i could just get the rest of the loaves to get that nice mahogany color as well.

LOL I was lucky enoough to get her baking sheets and equipment but not her baking secrets. When I was a kid, I guess i should have paid more attention when she was baking. I didn't miss much when she was cooking or canning. But back then i was more interested in eatinig her baked goods than how to make them.

Jerry
Old 05-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
I would crank my oven up to around 500*. I wonder what would happen if you brushed the dough with olive oil??
I have A stone in my oven for bread and pizza. I cook at 550*, and they seem to turn out fine. I brush olive oil on my pizza crust, and it browns right up. My vote is to go get A stone or quarry tile. If you get quarry tile, you can get more than 1 and put them together in the oven. Keep us posted! Good luck.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Thyme Send a message via MSN to Thyme

You should try brushing your bread with butter instead of an egg wash, I find that this browns the crust much better then eggs or cranking up the heat.

Hope it works!

-Thyme
Old 05-21-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
Senior Cook

is interesting how different people in different results using the same methods. I don't use in baking stone. I baked and from 335 degrees to 475 degrees depending upon the recipe and have no trouble getting a good brown crust but I don't get the deep mahogany color. It for a rich color I use a a wash with the yield
Old 05-21-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Sorry about the errors above. I yried using a dictating program to write it. Looks like I have some more training to do. :) And OK

That last line should have read saing an egg wash with the yolk.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Old Coot, that was my next plan till i get the baking stones I have been wanting, using a whole egg wash including the yoke.

thanks everyone for the ideas!

Jerry
Old 08-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Bread

As soon as the bread comes out of the oven, brush the top with butter or margarine and the heat from the bread will "cook" the butter and brown the top.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
water

i don't know if this is the reason, but i put a cassarole pan of water on the lowest rack. i also you a egg wash with the whole egg. maybe this is help

Tags
None