How to make the bread darker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
I use a gluten free flour blend that is high in fiber, but it is very white. So when I make bread people think it is loaf. I make lots of bread every week for 5 families because they don’t want to make and they like my bread.

Is there anything I can add that make the bread look darker?
I now it sounds stupid.. But I hope some one can have some ideas!

Brush the top with milk when you begin baking. It will darken the crust naturally.

Oh, and just as the others have already said, a couple of tablespoons of molasses used as the sweetener for your yeast mixture will add a pleasant caramel color. Cocoa may impart a peculiar flavor.

I use a gluten free flour blend that is high in fiber, but it is very white. So when I make bread people think it is loaf. I make lots of bread every week for 5 families because they don’t want to make and they like my bread.

Is there anything I can add that make the bread look darker?
I now it sounds stupid.. But I hope some one can have some ideas!
Try mix 1/2 your flour with whole wheat flour.

I would use molasses as the sweetener, AND add a portion of each unsweetened cocoa and instant espresso powder in lieu of the equivalent of flour. Using both the cocoa and the espresso powder will ensure you will not have an overwhelming taste of either in the finished product.

I always add some to my rye bread so it will be darker. :)

Just a note. Back in my Soviet days I used to buy dark rye bread, very tasy and very dark. Rye is naturally a dark flour, here in the states it has been bleached, if I understand corectly, there there was no need for darkening agent because flour was dark. Makes a world of difference, because like June mention the additieves can add to the taste.

The rye flour I buy is organically grown by a local farmer, and it is not manipulated in any way. Still, alone, it does not produce a dark rye on its own. I grew up with "grey" rye bread, so I'm not averse to it, but for pumpernickel, or Boston Brown Bread, the bread definitely needs darkening.

Neither tea nor stout will darken the finished loaf appreciably. Cocoa powder or instant espresso powder added to the flour will make the biggest difference. I would also add some molasses.

Curious, isn't there gluten free ww flour available?

I made some pumpernickel a week ago w/rye, whole wheat, cornmeal and white flour. To make it dark and rich, for 2 loaves, 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 3/4 cup molasses. It turned out delicious and stayed nice and moist. It was very dark bread, we liked it.

Back
Top Bottom