I did it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok everyone heres the recipe!!!These directions are for a conventional oven, but they also have directions for a bread machine, so if anyones interested please let me know! This bread is quite "heavy", assuming I did it right:ermm: I think its great for dipping in flavored oil.It tasted great to me! If you adjust anything let me know how it turns out:)
Enjoy!:chef:

If anyone wants the recipe for Kathe's "Pillsbury's Rustic Italian Bread" she will be glad to PM it to you - just contact her. - Thanks, kitchenelf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
I finally have a use for that oddball sized measuring spoon King Arthur sold me when I was ordering some baking stuff last year.... they said to use it whenever a recipe called for a package of instant yeat. :)
This bread is getting made this week.

Dang girl... please please share your secrects!!!! I can't make bread if my life depended on it!!! Great job toots!!!

Ok, sorry, did not see the post for the rec till I acted a fool! Gonna have to give this one a try!

Dang girl... please please share your secrects!!!! I can't make bread if my life depended on it!!! Great job toots!!!

Ok, sorry, did not see the post for the rec till I acted a fool! Gonna have to give this one a try!

Thanks for the recipe, GrantsK. Sounds easy enough, but I'm with Sattie. Up north, perfect bread. Down here,
What the what? No luck. But I'm gonna try again.
Luckily, I don't have photo equip, so I won't embarrass
myself. At least with bread...............LOL!

I took out some beef this morning for some stew. Then I'll make some goulash the next day or two. All in anticipation of when I make this bread. I sure hope it looks as good.

I took out some beef this morning for some stew. Then I'll make some goulash the next day or two. All in anticipation of when I make this bread. I sure hope it looks as good.

Im assuming you have baked bread before so therefore it will probably turn out better than mine....please let me know what you think once you've made it!!!
Me thinks it will be very good for sopping up gravy:pig:

Me, bake bread? Noooo.
I made crusty bread once, but won't count that because it didn't quite come out. Maybe it did, but it was a little too crusty. Virtually all my bread baking has been done in a bread machine...... like I said in another thread, set it and forget it ;)
This will be my first attempt at a "real" loaf.

Question:
On the final rise, after you have shaped it into a loaf, what do you cover it with?
I've got this fabric stuff.... I don't remember what it's called, but KA sold it to me, it looks like burlap and they said to keep it in the freezer. I think I can use that.... would I dust it with flour first?
Or, would I spray some plastic wrap with oil and cover the loaf with that?

Question:
On the final rise, after you have shaped it into a loaf, what do you cover it with?
I've got this fabric stuff.... I don't remember what it's called, but KA sold it to me, it looks like burlap and they said to keep it in the freezer. I think I can use that.... would I dust it with flour first?
Or, would I spray some plastic wrap with oil and cover the loaf with that?

I just used a cloth kitchen towel, no flour or spray...I had no problems with it sticking. Im not sure about the burlap, if its kept in the freezer it will be cold and you dont want that, you want to put the bread in a warm place, covered. HTH

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that was its use, to cover bread..... it's been a while since I ordered it. The freezer is to store it after using and I used it once. I just don't remember if I put it on the dough, or put the dough on it :wacko:
I'll let it warm up some.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that was its use, to cover bread..... it's been a while since I ordered it. The freezer is to store it after using and I used it once. I just don't remember if I put it on the dough, or put the dough on it :wacko:
I'll let it warm up some.

lol
Well Im just guessing here, but I would think you should put it over the bread, since you have formed it already it should be on the pan with the cornmeal on it, ready to go in the oven once it rises:)

For covering rising bread I use an old cloth diaper.... However not ever used as a diaper!!!
I bought them for spit-up rags when the oldest was born, but they were the wrong kind.... without the padding in the middle... (they all spit ALOT) and after several years of washings have become rather thin... perfect!
They're also good for squeezing liquid out of thawed frozen spinach. :)

GrantsKat said:
I finally baked my first loaf of bread!!!! I also managed to roast garlic correctly!!!! Yummy:w00t:
I could very easily become addicted:LOL:
I think you're sprung now.:ohmy:
I wont let my boys eat it till their daddy gets home.....he just called asking about it! We LOVE crusty bread, but its so hard to find here...
Gives new meaning to The Bread Line Blues.:)

Congratulations and welcome from a fellow junkie.:cool:

You Must Try New York Times Bread Recipe

WOW...success. GREAT looking loaf.

Now you MUST try the New York Times Bread Recipe. You can check the thread that Gretchen started a while back.

You can also check post #195 that has my directions. On post #360 you can view a photo of the loaf I baked.

This is a wonderful thread to visit. Many members and many super tips.

And the BREAD....one to must try. Aria

OK so I am in the middle of making your bread Grantskat! It is rising right now!! Wish me luck because I have only made bread 2x's in my life and that was about 10yrs ago!! If this goes well the NY bread recipe is next!
....I can't be the ONLY one on this sight who doesnt make their own bread!!;):D

lol deelady!!! Im sure it will come out wonderful! Hey even pacanis made it & his looked even better than mine:ermm::LOL:
I have yet to try the NYT bread yet. Ive been playing around with different flavored bread sticks & focaccia!!
Hmmmm I wonder if its too late to start some for dinner:rolleyes:

I can't be the ONLY one on this sight who doesnt make their own bread

Nope I make the people at work make bread for me lol

Very nice...A beautiful loaf

Another bread baker for the group...YEAH!!!!

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom