I did it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey we can all open up a chain of bakerys around the states! DC Bakery!:chef:

NOT ME! I already have a business, and baking is my HOBBY that I enjoy. Bakeries open early in the morning so you can buy fresh bread, which means someone WORKED all night so you could enjoy it. As for me, I'll sleep during the night and bake during the day when I have time. I'll come visit your bakeries and buy some of your goodies.:LOL:

Joe

Can't say I blame you on that one Joe! I wouldn't last long myself working the graveyard!
But my DF and I are contiplating opening a coffee/pannini shop in the future:cool::cool:

Well I did it too!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
It came out very tasty, and after her 3rd piece my DD was still asking for more!:pig::pig:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 168
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 169
Magnificent! Pass the butter, please... Oh, and you might as well start making another loaf, this one's almost gone!:LOL:

Joe

Thanks Joe! And youd better believe I used butter on it, right fresh and hot out of the oven I cut a slice and slathered it! YUM!

But I have two questions, how come even though I ziplocked it, the bread seemed to dry out quite a bit a couple of hours later....? It started out the outside crunchy and the inside perfect and soft, Its still edible and the flavor is still great but it seems alot dryer?
Also how do you get a bread to have more holes in the center, is that just a different kind of bread altogether? This seemed more like a white bread. I guess I was expecting more of a french bread....

I haven't seen the recipe for this bread (would someone please PM it to me? Thanks!), but the first thing that comes to mind regarding dryness is the absence of any butter or oil.

Both pictures of this bread show it as being a low loaf when baked. It's almost as if it needs more liquid, especially since Kat said her's was heavy/dense. Hydration affects the outcome of the bread, but I'm sure someone with more experience than me can contribute to this diagnosis. I'll get back after reviewing the recipe.

Joe

Ok, I looked over the recipe, and the first thing that jumped out to me was the yeast. The recipe calls for Active Dry Yeast, but they say to just mix it with the dry ingredients rather than to proof it in the warm water which most recipes describe. Also, the proofing times seem to be too short, especially with using Active Dry Yeast.

If it were me, I would use 1-1/2 t Instant Yeast incorporated with the dry ingredients, then cover and allow to proof for 1 hour or until doubled in size (or mix the Active Dry Yeast with the warm water and allow to proof until foamy, about 10-15 minutes). After shaping the loaf, cover and allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size. The hydration looks fine, I just think the problem is with the yeast anbd its prep.

Here's a good recipe that I've modified and makes 2 loaves of Italian Bread that everyone loves. It's not really very different than the Pillsbury recipe, but it's different enough. Below the recipe is a picture of how it comes out.

Basic Italian Bread

Ingredients:
2 Cups water, lukewarm (16 oz.)
2 ½ teaspoons Instant Yeast
5 3/4 Cups bread flour (1# 13 oz.)
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar (Regular brown sugar works fine)
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Egg white, lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds

Directions:
Mix flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and blend ingredients so they mix well. Using a dough hook attachment, add the flour and brown sugar to the water and mix on low speed until the dough starts to form. Drizzle the oil into the dough and beat on medium speed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a smooth, firm, elastic dough is formed. (At this point I take it out and hand knead, adding flour if needed, for 5 minutes or until I’m happy with the texture of the dough. You want it smooth, not sticky.)
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and spray the dough with a thin coating of cooking spray. Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap (I use plastic shopping bags instead of wasting plastic wrap. Put the bowl in the bag and tuck the handles underneath to keep out any breeze) and set aside to proof in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in size. Remove the plastic wrap (bag), punch down and flatten the rounded dough with the heel of your hand, and split into two equal pieces. Roll the dough up tightly, sealing the seam well. The dough should be elongated and oval-shaped, with tapered and rounded (not pointed) ends.
Preheat the oven lined with a pizza stone to 400° F. Alternately, an inverted baking sheet may be used in place of a pizza stone.
Place the dough on a baker's peel heavily dusted with semolina flour, or cornmeal, or alternately on an inverted baking sheet. (I use parchment paper on my peel dusted with cornmeal, so I can slide it all onto my pizza stone) Allow the dough to proof, loosely covered with sprayed plastic (I cut up the bag) and a dishtowel, for about one hour, or until doubled in size. Brush the dough with the egg white and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. Using a razor blade or sharp knife, score 3 (1/4-inch deep) slashes across the top of the dough at a 45 degree angle.
Spray the dough with water from a water bottle and place in the oven on the baking stone. Immediately close the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Open the oven door and spray the dough again with the water bottle. Close the oven door and bake for an additional 3 minutes before spraying the dough for a third time (the spraying of the dough will ensure a crisp golden brown crust). Bake the dough for 30 minutes, or until a hollow thud is heard when the bread is whacked with the bowl of a wooden spoon. Bread should have internal temperature of at least 200° F. Allow the bread to cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.

img_679784_0_3cd0d2d6fd76ea90358be6cede87c6ef.jpg

This is the same recipe, but I braided one of the loaves.

Joe

Thanks Joe! And youd better believe I used butter on it, right fresh and hot out of the oven I cut a slice and slathered it! YUM!

But I have two questions, how come even though I ziplocked it, the bread seemed to dry out quite a bit a couple of hours later....? It started out the outside crunchy and the inside perfect and soft, Its still edible and the flavor is still great but it seems alot dryer?
Also how do you get a bread to have more holes in the center, is that just a different kind of bread altogether? This seemed more like a white bread. I guess I was expecting more of a french bread....

Hey deelady, the same thing happened with my bread. I believe this recipe is designed to make a denser/heavier bread. I will PM you my recipe for the breadsticks, its a lighter dough. Of course Joe:chef: is a master at bread making, so you could just make his:LOL:

Like I said we had NO problem eating it! In fact my DD was asking for more "bed" at 8:00 at night! ;)I would love the breadstick recipe, thanks Kat.
And thank you Joe for your recipe and suggestions! I love the braided look!
I also have a white bread recipe tucked away somewhere that was my mothers that I would like to try some day...I was told it was always requested for her to make it for any special occasions :) Once I have TNT it I would gladly post it, unless you would like to veiw it sooner....? Just let me know.

Once I have TNT it I would gladly post it, unless you would like to veiw it sooner....? Just let me know.

Don't keep us on pins & needles, you can post the recipe and we can play with it also.:LOL: Pleeeeeeeeeze?

Joe

Well gee, now that I said it and went to go get it in the file I thought it was in..now I can't find it! :( I always come accross this paper but now that I want it, it is no where to be found!
So I guess you'll have to stay on pins and needles till I can figure out what I did with it!.......sorry. I'll post it asap!

Well gee, now that I said it and went to go get it in the file I thought it was in..now I can't find it! :( I always come accross this paper but now that I want it, it is no where to be found!
So I guess you'll have to stay on pins and needles till I can figure out what I did with it!.......sorry. I'll post it asap!
No problem deelady, I know you'll find it in the last place you look for it.:-p

Yeah knowing me lately probably the freezer or my sock drawer....:wacko::(

Hey, never discount an odd drawer....
Couldn't find the kitchen tv remote for 3 weeks. Tore apart the kids rooms... that usually where it runs to.....
Finally found it under the Saran wrap in the drawer with the wrapping up stuff yesterday!
DUH!
:rolleyes:

Hey, never discount an odd drawer....
Couldn't find the kitchen tv remote for 3 weeks. Tore apart the kids rooms... that usually where it runs to.....
Finally found it under the Saran wrap in the drawer with the wrapping up stuff yesterday!
DUH!
:rolleyes:

Well see there....you should have looked there first! :LOL:

I found it, I found it!! I found my mother's recipe!!:clap: It was actually in a very safe place after all! I found it in my emergency file of important documents we would need to grab first in case we had to leave quickly for some reason (fire, ect...) who would have thunk it that I was actually organized with something!! lol :LOL:
Well I'll post it for you later after my monster goes to bed...can't do anything for more than 2 minutes when she is up!!

Yeah, I'm so happy:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom