I need advice on dutch oven for making crusty bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just had a couple pieces with lunch. Upon further inspection, I think I went overboard on the "generous" amount of cornbread meal I used on it during its last phase, but that all knocks off anyway. I liked it better the second time around because the crust was soft and chewy and not hard and crunchy. I don't mind a thick crust, but I don't like a hard crust. BTW, it was room temp and not heated.
I need to find a way to make it where it isn't so messy.

That is too cool
Thank you very much.
Although mine didn't exactly plop out the first time out of the bowl... it had to be pealed out. I must have done something wrong when mixing the ingredients.. maybe I mixed them too well.
Anyway, Round 2 is still on the not so distant horizon and I'll follow this recipe instead.

Just to add to your frustration, where she says you have to have the oven preheated, I also do that recipe from a cold oven. You might need to check to see how long it actually takes your oven to reach the 450°F. You will need to add that time to the baking time.
I like to do it with a cold start because it eliminates some of the danger of messing with a preheated baking container. And I find that the resulting breads are similar.
And please take a look at the great videos at Bread Baking Instructional Videos and Baking Supplies..
You need to bake the last 15 mins uncovered to get a good brown, crips top crust.
My one problem in baking in my cast iron Dutch Oven was that the bottom was getting somewhat burned. I now use a baking sheet upside down under the DO. Seems to give it an air cushion.

Thanks OCC. Every little bit helps. I never paid attention to anything being baked as a kid, so trying to read directions and compare what they are saying to what I'm actually getting is really stretching it for me.

Yeah!

From what I can tell you did everything right. Except maybe the cornmeal. Just toss some on the bottom of the dutch oven next time.

The dough has a very fluid consistency and it's hard to form it into a ball. I usually have to add some more flour and then "stretch" the top, tucking the dough under the sides as I go. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Then I just plop it into the hot LC french oven. I've sized down my baking vessel so that the bread rises higher.

A somewhat hard crust and open holes in the bread are the hallmarks of this particular kind of bread and are what makes it so good -- that and the long rise which really gives the bread great flavor.

You can easily cut it with a bread knife, too.

Congratulations and I hope you make another loaf again soon!

Congratulations and I hope you make another loaf again soon!

Oh, heck yeah. My DO is still setting out. I didn't go through all that to put it away again anytime soon.
And armed with a little more knowledge..... I can be 5x as dangerous! :LOL:

I came into this thread late, so my advice isn't worth much. I bake my NYT bread in a pyrex casserole, which I preheat in the oven. Works great.

(I am a volunteer with a local humane society, and we do bake sale fundraisers all the time. I make 10 or 12 loaves of bread each time, and they all sell out. I sprinkle them with Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence before baking.)

I came into this thread late, so my advice isn't worth much. I bake my NYT bread in a pyrex casserole, which I preheat in the oven. Works great.

(I am a volunteer with a local humane society, and we do bake sale fundraisers all the time. I make 10 or 12 loaves of bread each time, and they all sell out. I sprinkle them with Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence before baking.)
that is a good idea about sprinkling herbs! thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom