I need advice on dutch oven for making crusty bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I just went into the basement to dig out my CI Dutch Oven and it's rusty inside and out to the point I would have to wire brush it and re-season it.
My crusty bread is going to be ready to pop in the oven around 4 PM.
What am I going to use?

I've got some large TFal pots, but they have plastic handles on them.
I've got a SS pasta pot (looks like a stock pot I guess) with a glass lid with a small hole in it.

Aren't DOs supposed to be on the heavy side, even if it isn't a traditional CI DO? Do you think I could get by by lining my DO with foil and setting the dough on parchment paper?
Maybe I have time to re-season it if I get a move on... even though it will never be the same from all those years of using it..... :(

Sorry if this should be under cookware instead....

I can't believe this :(

Hi Pacanis ~ Sorry about your Dutch Oven. I have a question -- Why do you need a Dutch Oven to bake bread? I always put mine on a baking stone or on a baking sheet. It turns out crusty and delicious. Maybe, I'm not understanding the type of bread you are baking -- does it absolutely have to be cooked in a Dutch Oven? Good Luck!!

You need a heavy, dense pot to bake the bread in, pacanis. Yes, if you hurry you could use your DO. Just line it with foil so that some of the new seasoning and/or rust doesn't get on the bread. Actually, if you don't have the time to season it, just line it with foil.

The stainless steel pot won't have enough mass to bake the bread the way it needs to be baked.

I've used my Le Creuset cookware (sans the knob) to make the type of bread (I suspect N.Y. Times) and have had excellent results. Again, LC is enamel-coated iron, so the mass is there.

Best of luck. Don't you just love it when you're thrown a curve in the middle of a project?

Last edited:
Thanks for answering back.
Maybe it doesn't...... I just read through the instructions and it just says heavy, covered pot. For some reason I was under the impression it had to be a Do... maybe I read it in someone's post.
So I could use a glass covered "casserole" dish?

Being done as we speak, Uncle Bob.
I've got 12 qts of cone brade in their baking right now ..... :LOL:

I didn't realize how rusty some of my stuff has gotten. Must be because I store HCL caplets down there, though they are in a plastic container..... and I can't smell chlorine... My welding jacket, which was sitting on top of the boxes of HCL fell right apart, but I got one last use out of it.

I wired brushed the heck out of the dutch oven and got the coal miner's face to prove it. Cried the whole time I had to take a good layer of seasoning off. sniff.

Last edited:
If it's the N.Y. Times recipe, don't worry. The dough can handle plenty of abuse. It isn't unusual for me to let mine sit for almost 22 hours before I start the second stage. It's very forgiving.
yes it is forgiving . First time I ever made the dough it sat 23 hrs :LOL:, we had gone shopping and didn't get back til late.

Hi Pacanis ~ Sorry about your Dutch Oven. I have a question -- Why do you need a Dutch Oven to bake bread? I always put mine on a baking stone or on a baking sheet. It turns out crusty and delicious. Maybe, I'm not understanding the type of bread you are baking -- does it absolutely have to be cooked in a Dutch Oven? Good Luck!!
the ny times recipes specified DO. Another recipe specifies stone. I used both recipes with their respective methods with success. :chef:

Oh, and thanks for letting me know I have a little extra time with the dough!

Mods, if possible, please change subject to crusty bread fiasco

OK. A picture is worth a thousand words.....
How do I shape this into a ball? Or by ball, do they really mean goopy mess?
The stuff is like trying to pick up Jello :mad: That sticks to everything

Attachments

• crustybreaddough.jpg
    crustybreaddough.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 173
The dough is perfect, pacanis. Does it have to "rest" now? If so, before you place it on a sheet to let it rest, put some parchment paper on the sheet. Then all you will have to do when it's time to put the dough into the hot pan, just lift the parchment up, like a sling, and put it all (parchment, too) into the pan. It will make it much easier to get the dough IN and OUT after baking.

Hang in there.

It's due for a two hour rest now, but too late on the paper idea. I was already getting too far beyond the 15 other period....
So in other words, the dough can't be shaped into a ball? Why the h did the recipe say that then? Geez....

The spice shaker was a great idea! I was trying to use a large spoon with holes in it. I found it worked better if I didn't scoop as much.

So here it is, what's left of it. The "ball". A lot went down the drain (and I guess dough clogs a slow drain) and a lot stayed on the counter, but I'm hanging in there.
Better start on my breadmachine loaf now just in case...

Attachments

• doughoncouche.jpg
    doughoncouche.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 202
  • doughoncounter.jpg
    doughoncounter.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 179
I got my counter clean again. It had to be scraped with a knife. That dough is some tough stuff after it dries.
The ball is looking like a calzone and about ready for me to flip it into the DO. Seam side down I guess, but beats me where the seam is.... so I'm sure some side will be down :rolleyes:
I'm starting to get excited. I can't believe something done so haphazardly can come out so good.

Thanks again for riding alongside of me for this one, Katie. This thing has almost found a home in the 13 gal file a few times....

And here it is. Plopped into the Dutch oven. The "ball".
I have to wonder if all that coating I was supposed to "generously use" should have been blown or brushed off first... :huh: The directions didn't say to, so I didn't!

Attachments

• mmm crusty bread.jpg
    mmm crusty bread.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 186
No, you didn't have to brush anything off. It'll just get a little "toasted" during baking.

Sometimes the first effort is an immense learning curve. You learn little tricks on your own and gain information from others. Next time will be different and...better.

Might as well put the finished product up here.
It was good. It had to be torn because the crust was impervious to normal cutting strokes with a bread knife. I know, most people tear bread and rolls, I like to cut them :rolleyes:. It didn't seem to hold butter very well. I think if it was higher and not so flat I would have had a better inside surface for buttering. And I couldn't use it very well when eating my stew.... the hard crust prevented me from sopping up the stew gravy with the soft part of the bread. I just couldn't press it into the plate all that well. I think this would be better as a dipping bread. Or serve the stew in a bowl next time.
But, bottom line..... I'll make it again. After I go through that monster thread to pick up some tips :)
BTW, I don't like learning curves, Katie. I like to follow instructions/recipes that have everything come out the way they are describing... as if you couldn't sense my frustration :LOL:

Attachments

• CB in the DO.jpg
    CB in the DO.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 190
  • CB finished.jpg
    CB finished.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom