I'm tired of commercial bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need to let bread go stale or dry out or get moldy -- it freezes quite well. Just pull off the slices you need at the moment, carefully defrost them in the microwave or toaster, and you won't know the difference. If you buy whole loaves and like to serve big chunks to go with soups or stews, etc., cut the loaf into chunks and freeze them in a good zippered plastic bag. Beats the heck out of stale or moldy bread, and it allows you to keep several varieties on hand.

Stored in a paper bag on the counter, 2 days before going stale. The third day you should plan on French Toast.

In plastic in the refrigerator, unless you're freezing it, you'll lose your crust - it will turn soft, but still be usable for up to 3 days, and becomes bird food on the morning of the 4th day.

Making bread is easy which I have just found out. It is superb, unbeatable. The texture and flavour is so good. The first one that I did was nan, an Indian bread which I made to go with tandoori chicken. I didn't bake or grill it but just panfry it. It was so good & goes great with the tandoori chicken. Check it out how I did it at Keep Learning Keep Smiling » Tandoori Chicken And Nan

Cheers,
shalinee

img_847371_1_070211a331d87efa48ad5bc546a864ac.png

Why not make your own?

hmm why not try to bake your own bread?
I make use of the recipes that i have learned from my mom's book..
You can add fruit juice and walnuts to make your bread's flavor more interesting :D ...I always love to use concentrated apple juice...Make sure not to forget fresh eggs :chef:

Apart from baking Irish Soda Bread on St. Paddy's Day -- no yeast needed -- my most recent attempt at 'real' bread was a healthful recipe using whole grains and added gluten. I felt very virtuous (and healthy) eating the dense slices, even shared the second loaf with my DS and D-in-L, who very practically used theirs for a door stop. ;)

Those inspirational photos already posted have led me to copy the New York No-Knead recipe to give it another try.

I love to bake bread and since moving over seas well the bread here is horrid compared to what your getting. Pita bread is what everyone eats here so the load bread is always hard regardless. I make my own white bread and its amazing. I also like knowing what goes into my food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom