Irish Soda Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lyndalou, Traditional Irish Soda Bread
4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp.baking soda
2 tsp.baking powder
1tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
1 cup golden raisins
1 tbsp.milk

Prehead the oven 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet

In a large bowl,stir the flour,sugar,baking soda,baking powder and salt together.

In a separate bowl,beat the eggs,buttermilk and oil together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Add the caraway seeds and raisins. Stir until a soft dough has formed.

Shape the dough into a large ball on a lightly floured board (flour your hands if necessary for easier handling) with a sharp knife,make a cross on the top. Place on the prepared pan. Brush the top with the milk. Bake in the center of the oven until golden brown,30-40 minutes. Serves 12.

and another one - don't know why I only make this once a year - just love it!!

Soda Bread
4 c a.p. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c superfine sugar
2 c. buttermilk

Oven to 425°. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan or a 9 X 5" loaf pan.
Sift flour, b. soda, cream of tartar, & salt together into a large bowl.
Stir in the sugar.

Make a well in center, add the buttermilk, & w/a fork, work the milk into the flour till a soft dough is formed.
Turn into the prepared pan & bake for 10 min.

Reduce temp to 400° and bake till bread is golden brown & firm to the touch, ~45 min. Let cool slightly before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf.

This bread also makes a great crust for meat & game pies when rolled out to ~1/4" thickness.

lyndalou, I had the same idea this morning! Thank you for asking the question ... these look like great recipes.

One question, just out of curiosity, I have for some wise soul is - why do some recipes call for raisins or currants and others don't? Also, why do some call for the flour to be cut with butter before adding the wet ingredients? I did a search on the foodnetwork as well and found both variations. Anyone know why?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom