Is French Bread unattainable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Goodweed

It is more than elegant enough, to explain how it works.
Thanks for the info.

Mel

Mel! said:
Thanks JDP

I think i will try brushing flour mixed with water, on the bread next time, and see what happens.
So far, I have just rubbed dry flour on.

Mel

Mel! 1 T corn starch t0 1/3 C water not flour.

JDP

Easy to make at home

Oh man, I make 100 loaves of bread a day at our restaurant (deli) and let me tell ya, there are few things better. The recipe at my site is what we base our bread on and getting it to french style is easy. Just follow the recipe, but preheat to 400f instead of 350f and brush with olive oil before you bake. You can also dust it with parmesan for a bit of a bite.
Keep an eye on it, if it is looking too dark, yank it our and tent it with foil for a while until it cools.
You cannot go wrong. Enjoy!!
Oh yeah, use a cookie sheet NEVER a loaf pan.:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
JDP said:
Hi DinaFine and hello again Mel!. Yes you can get a ceramic base to an unglazed pot but a simple baking or pizza stone works on the same principle. I love Alton and he likes to put those little twists in. I have combined parts of his recipe which I posted ealier as well as parts from my Cuisnart recipe and have come up with a good one. SOmeone mention rubbing the bread with flour, or corn flour. Try mixxing 1T cornstarch with a 1/3 cup water and brush that on the bread just prior to baking it makes a great crust and comes from Alton's recipe. And Dinafine the steam is good for the raising but is also great in the baking. It delivers that crispy crust.

All these suggestions are great. I am going to look for a stone or ceramic base of some sort and try it out. I used steam to bake for the last couple of breads, and I am pleased with the result. Also, what is the difference between using cornstarch with water to brush on and a flour water combination. Is there going to be a difference? ]

Thanks JDP

I will add corn starch, to my cuppord. I dont have any.

Mel

Wow!!! MCGib...

I really love that parmasan and olive oil idea. Sounds delicious. There are so many variations one can do, while cooking. Always one, to fit in, with what is currently in ones cupboards.

Mel

Lucky, for me, that there are a lot of variations on ingredients, which can go into just about any recipe.
I forgot, that today, is a holiday, in Germany. All the shops were closed, so I could not buy anything new, for tomorrows cooking.
Well, I have the indredients, for risotto and also for potato waffles. But a pity that I cant do something expermental, like I usually do, on Sundays.

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom