ISO Irish Soda Bread recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanx!!!!

Thanks very much, buckytom!!!! That certainly does help.

If anyone has a recipe, which does not require eggs, that would also be great. I dont always have eggs, in the house, when i feel like whipping up some bread.

Mel

Mel, try this recipe for Irish Soda Bread without eggs:

IRISH SODA BREAD

Ingredients:
500gm (abt 1 lb) plain flour plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
300ml (1/2 pint) buttermilk or 1/2 milk & 1/2 yoghurt
90ml (3 fl oz) tepid water
Oil for greasing

Method:
1. In a bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt together. Add buttermilk/milk & yoghurt and water. Mix well to form a soft dough. Transfer dough on to a lightly floured board. Shape into round.
2. Place loaf on a greased baking pan and cut a deep cross in the top.
3. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees C/400 degrees F for 40-45 minutes

Thanx

Thanks Boufa

That is exactly the receipe, i need, for when i dont have eggs, in the house.

Mel

Thanx

Thanks very much daisy.
Hopefully, i can find wholemeal flour, in Germany.
Irish soda bread is great, because one doesnt have to go to all that trouble with waiting for yeast to rise, etc.

Mel

Traditional Irish Soda Bread
4 cups all-purpose flour 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp.salt
2 large eggs
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp. caraway seeds
1 cup golden raisins
1 tbsp. milk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a large bowl.stir in the flour,sugar,baking soda, baking powder and salt together.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and oil together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Add the caraway seeds and raisins. Stir until a soft dough has formed.

Shape the dough into a large ball on a lightly floured board(flour your hands if necessary for easier handling). With a sharp knife, make a cross on the top. Place on the prepared pan. Brush the top with the milk. Bake in the center of the oven until golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Serves 12.

Thanks andcaliope and aria

Those are cool variations, on the soda bread. And i often have currents, in the house, so these are convenient receipes.

I have just been in Ireland, for a couple of days. I brought back some extra mature cheddar cheese. I will make irish soda bread for Christmas, and serve it with the cheddar cheese. I presume my cheese will stay good, in the fridge, until then.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom