"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I like spreading the dough with butter and then covering with sugar and cinnomin. Roll up. Bake and then make a powdered sugar like glaze to pour over. Eat while still warm from the oven.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Here's one I make all the time. I got it from one of the threads here and don't remember whose it was, but it's delicious.

MOZZARELLA MEAT PIE
(DOUBLED)
2 lb. Ground Beef
1 Cup Chopped Onion
1 Cup Chopped Celery
8 oz. Sliced Mushrooms
12 oz. Tomato Paste
8 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Dash of Pepper
2 Cans Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Rolls

· Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

· Brown ground beef; do not drain. Add onion and celery; cook until tender. Add tomato paste, ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and seasonings. Separate crescent rolls and place in a baking dish, pressing perforations together to form a crust. Fill with meat mixture; top with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes.

I'm still playing around with the cayenne pepper measurement, but other than that it's a good recipe and a keeper in my family.

Hope you like it.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Thanks Licia and Pds!
Sounds delicious!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I like to make Baked Pinwheels - I unroll the crescents, take about 2 triangles of the jumbo size crescents and pinch to seal them. I use really small cubes of ham, really small pieces of red pepper and slices of provolone cheese. I put them on the crescents and then I roll them. You can slice them about 1/2 inch thick and bake them.

They are great especially for parties.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #25
Head Chef

Pampered Chef's recipe Florentine Garden Ring is suppose to be good.
This lady I know in work made it and raved about it. I never made it though.

Here is the recipe:

Yahoo! Answers - What is that pampered chef recipe that uses leftover turkey and crescent rolls?

Note recipe uses either chicken or turkey
Old 05-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend
Here's one I make all the time. I got it from one of the threads here and don't remember whose it was, but it's delicious.
· Brown ground beef; do not drain. Add onion and celery; cook until tender. Add tomato paste, ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and seasonings. Separate crescent rolls and place in a baking dish, pressing perforations together to form a crust. Fill with meat mixture; top with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes.

I am assuming that you are using one of the leaner grades of ground beef that does not make a pot of grease. I like this recipe and have a question about the crescent rolls. Do you bake the crust before adding the filling? Would it be like a self rising pizza dough? I always get a wonderful edge on the pizza but the part with the filling lays flat.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
I am assuming that you are using one of the leaner grades of ground beef that does not make a pot of grease. I like this recipe and have a question about the crescent rolls. Do you bake the crust before adding the filling? Would it be like a self rising pizza dough? I always get a wonderful edge on the pizza but the part with the filling lays flat.
Sometimes I vary the grades of the ground beef (since I tend to double the recipe I'll usually get a pound of the leanest and a pound of chuck for a little flavor, haven't seen much grease from the meat mixture going either way), but on this recipe I use the leanest I can find; also I don't bake the crust ahead of time. I just lay them down flat, and use other parts to cover the sides, and whatever I have left over I tend to put on the bottom to reinforce the bottom. The kitchen smells real good when it is cooking up. Never tried pizza dough, though, so I might try that the next time.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #28
Sous Chef

That Cherry danish sounds pretty good!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Well, I've played around with something for some time... but I don't really have a formal recipe for it (I've done it a little different each time). I do have one little issue with it that I'd like to get some help on though.

I'll see if I can clean it up a bit and present it.

VaporTrail's Taco-Crescent Casserole

~2 lbs Ground Beef (leaner is better)
~1 cup Colby + Jack cheese (shredded)
~1 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
2 envelopes of Taco Seasoning (I've used the McCormick brand)
1 Medium onion chopped or diced. (I tend to use Vidalia)
1 or 2 cans of Crescent rolls (depending on size of pan you're gonna use).

Brown ground beef. Drain well
Prepare taco mix as directed on package.
In a 8x8 or 13x9 baking pan/pyrex dish combine taco meat, onion and cheese. (top with a little extra cheese if desired)
Cover with Crescent roll triangles and seal seams.

Bake in a 350*F oven for about 30 minutes or until the dough is done (it turns about the same color as your crescents usually do).

-----------------

The issue I generally have with this is that I seem to get a LOT of grease even from lean ground beef. Most of it seems to come from the cheeses during baking, as I've made a point of draining the meat as well as possible. It generally isn't much of a problem, I usually pull one serving out of a corner, tilt the pan and drain what grease I can into that corner and remove it with paper towels... but I'd rather find out if anyone knows a way to fix this.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I love the recipes on here. Thank you all for posting. I fill the dough with apple or pineapple filling with sprinkled powdered sugar. They're a great dessert or tea time pastry.

Tags
None