"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Serian Bread

In Milwaukee (Cudahy) there was a ma and pa serbian restaurant named Brakovich's (sp) which served the best bread. I'm looking for a similar recipee. It was very chewey, looked a little like a natural sponge inside and had a taste something like cream of wheat. I have tried all kinds of recipees and haven't found anything like this. Does anyone know of a bread that fits the bill? [/b]

Old 05-03-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Welcome! I'm sure you will find a lot of friendly helpful people here.

I did a search for Serbian breads and only found Pocaga, which is a flat bread. This doesn't sound like what you are asking for, so I didn't post the recipe. If it is, let me know and I will post it.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

:) Barbara

Old 03-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Serb Bread

Steamin - I too am searching for "exactly" what you describe (Serbian bread). I enjoyed this same bread as a child and have been trying to duplicate. The bread is indead refered to as "pogaca"...it is typically 12" diameter and a bit thicker in the middle than on edges. The ingeredients were very basic and limited to flour, salt, oil, sugar, yeast, and water. The trick seems to duplicate the "chewy" texture and the "sponge like" appearance inside. Could have something to do with high baking temps (coal stove)...cake yeast vs rapid-rise...twice raised vs single. Much to learn. Would appreciate any/all feedback.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin
In Milwaukee (Cudahy) there was a ma and pa serbian restaurant named Brakovich's (sp) which served the best bread. I'm looking for a similar recipee. It was very chewey, looked a little like a natural sponge inside and had a taste something like cream of wheat. I have tried all kinds of recipees and haven't found anything like this. Does anyone know of a bread that fits the bill? [/b]
Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
Master Chef

Welcome, stemin and Bill! I hope you find what you're looking for at DC! I'm going to move this to the Breads Forum to make sure folks see it and help.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Bill,

As I said, I found this when I did a search. I've never tried it myself. I found this at Recipezaar. I hope it helps.

Barbara

Pogaca (Serbian Bread) #22138
recipe by Manda
Nice, simple Serbian flat bread. Posted in response to a recipe request. (Prep. time does not include rising time)
1 loaf

45 minutes 15 mins prep

1 1/4 cups water 2 teaspoons water 1 1/2 packages dry yeast 2 tablespoons sugar 3 tablespoons oil 1 egg 3 1/2 cups flour
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
  3. Add sugar oil and egg.
  4. Gradually stir in flour until combined and soft dough forms.
  5. Knead in bowl for 1 minute.
  6. Place dough in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled.
  7. Roll on floured board into large, slightly flattened circle.
  8. Prick with fork all over.
  9. Brush top with oil or butter and let sit 20 minutes.
  10. Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

lapinje

Hello to my new friends. I am new to this group. On my "home" group much has been discussed about cevapcici served on lapinje, a flat bread which sounds different from the one mentioned here in an earlier post.

Does anyone have a recipe for lapinje or know of a printed source where I am likely to find it.

I have one wonderful Serbian cookbook, but, alas, no such recipe.

Ron, Van Nuys, CA
Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

Hi Ron! Welcome to Discuss Cooking!

Glad you're here - why don't you post a "hello" in the introductions forum (when you're ready to get bombarded by happy faces!)

Also, if you post an "ISO Lapinje Bread" in the breads forum, you may have some luck!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your suggestion to post an intro.

I've just done that. It's a bit of a wilderness finding one's way around a new site, but I know that with a little time/practice, I will be able to do so.

Ron
Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

quick tip, Ron: click on the "New Posts" tab at the top and it will bring you to the most recent topics. That'll get you started.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

looking for a flatbread recipe

im looking for a flatbread recipe and not sure of its spelling but to spell it the way its pronounced ..."lepna" but after looking online all morning a doubt if its the right spelling.. could anyone help me out with the spelling as well as the recipe...

Tags
None