"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
tmh425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 27
ISO Stuffing/Dressing Recipes

Hello, just wondering if anyone has fabulous stuffing / dressing recipes they'd like to share. I'm cooking for @ 20, so I may make one with sausage and one without. We are having a smoked turkey, and maybe a deep-fried one as well. I still have herbs in my garden so any recipe with lots of herbs would be great! I will be baking these in the oven since the turkeys are done outside.

Thanks so much, can't wait to hear!
~tmh

__________________

tmh425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh425 View Post
Hello, just wondering if anyone has fabulous stuffing / dressing recipes they'd like to share. I'm cooking for @ 20, so I may make one with sausage and one without. We are having a smoked turkey, and maybe a deep-fried one as well. I still have herbs in my garden so any recipe with lots of herbs would be great! I will be baking these in the oven since the turkeys are done outside.

Thanks so much, can't wait to hear!
~tmh
I simply buy a box of Bell's seasoning and follow the recipe. Sometimes I add sausage or mushrooms.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
I'm a big fan of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing. Start with that and add away to your heart's content - sausage, oysters, herbs, shrooms. It's all good.
__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I'm a big fan of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing. Start with that and add away to your heart's content - sausage, oysters, herbs, shrooms. It's all good.
Me also I use chicken/turkey stock for the liquid, fresh mushrooms & ground dried porcini mushrooms, loads of celery & onions saute in butter. Fresh thyme, rosemary & sage, sea salt & fresh ground peppercorns (I use the 4 corn blend).
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
I use a recipe I got here years ago. It is wonderful simply saute several cups of finly chopped celery, 3 cups of diced white or yellow onions, 4 loaves of cubed bread I either make or get from the bakery. 3 melted cubes butter or more we like it buttery to pour over everything several cans of chicken stock you decided how much sauted fresh mushrooms I use assorted mushroom i've chopped roughly fresh parsley and poultry seasonings.marjorram is a herb we like Taste as you go when you get the taste you want put in a large casserole and bake covered with foil 20 min before removing from oven uncover and finish baking.
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
I still prefer the Betty Crocker cookbook stuffing, plain and simple.

My Mom used to make Pepperidge Farm stuffing, and remembering that I like it, I made it instead of my usual. I was very disappointed. Maybe they changed it in the intervening years or I got a bad bag. It had no flavor, like the spices were omitted.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,715
I have the best method of making dressing.

I send Kathleen into the kitchen and viola! great dressing.

How she does it, I don't know.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I use a recipe I got here years ago. It is wonderful simply saute several cups of finly chopped celery, 3 cups of diced white or yellow onions, 4 loaves of cubed bread I either make or get from the bakery. 3 melted cubes butter or more we like it buttery to pour over everything several cans of chicken stock you decided how much sauted fresh mushrooms I use assorted mushroom i've chopped roughly fresh parsley and poultry seasonings.marjorram is a herb we like Taste as you go when you get the taste you want put in a large casserole and bake covered with foil 20 min before removing from oven uncover and finish baking.
kadesma
You scare me.. Your recipe is almost identical to what I make.
I have a mushroom phobia dunno why it's not like they ever hit me or hurt me But other then the shrooms and butter it's what I do. I simmer the neck with celery onions sage and other spices and herbs use the broth from it with a few cans of chicken stock and call it stuffin.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have the best method of making dressing.

I send Kathleen into the kitchen and viola! great dressing.

How she does it, I don't know.
The day before, bake 2 pans of white cornmeal cornbread (without sugar), 2 dozen biscuits, and toast 8 to 10 slices of white bread. Shred everything and let it sit with a paper towel covering it overnight.

On the day you are serving it, add 3-4 stalks of celery (diced), a large yellow onion (diced), a tablespoon or two of ground sage (about a half of a small spice jar,) lots of black pepper...erm...maybe a teaspoon or two. Then add an egg and mix all well. Then add turkey essence (I take it from the roasting bird as I had added water to the roasting pan prior to baking...perhaps a quart or six cups or enough until it all sticks together.) Mix and add salt to taste.

Then you can make it in rounded patties on a greased cookie sheet or you can put it in a greased casserole. Bake until a knife comes out smooth. (350 degrees Fahrenheit about 20 minutes for the patties and 35 minutes (give or take) for the casserole.) I cut the casserole into squares.

This dressing is really fantastic if your breads and biscuits are great. This recipe has been in my family since before the civil war. It is not Thanksgiving without it around here.

~Kathleen
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have the best method of making dressing.

I send Kathleen into the kitchen and viola! great dressing.

How she does it, I don't know.
I use the exact same recipe....amazing. Except it's Mrs .40. I don't know anybody named Kathleen.

.40
__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I use the exact same recipe....amazing. Except it's Mrs .40. I don't know anybody named Kathleen.

.40

Might be able to rent you one.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I simply buy a box of Bell's seasoning and follow the recipe. Sometimes I add sausage or mushrooms.
Ahhhhh Bell's! I can finally find it here in the south, usually at specialty gourmet markets, but one regular grocery store carries it too.
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
You scare me.. Your recipe is almost identical to what I make.
I have a mushroom phobia dunno why it's not like they ever hit me or hurt me But other then the shrooms and butter it's what I do. I simmer the neck with celery onions sage and other spices and herbs use the broth from it with a few cans of chicken stock and call it stuffin.

Munky.
I told Gil we were sisters
cj
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
tmh425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I use a recipe I got here years ago. It is wonderful simply saute several cups of finly chopped celery, 3 cups of diced white or yellow onions, 4 loaves of cubed bread I either make or get from the bakery. 3 melted cubes butter or more we like it buttery to pour over everything several cans of chicken stock you decided how much sauted fresh mushrooms I use assorted mushroom i've chopped roughly fresh parsley and poultry seasonings.marjorram is a herb we like Taste as you go when you get the taste you want put in a large casserole and bake covered with foil 20 min before removing from oven uncover and finish baking.
kadesma
I ADORE mushrooms, and so does everyone in my family. This sounds great as one to try. It's funny, seems the guys in the family are the ones that like stuffing with sausage, but most of us gals prefer it without. I have done one with apples & fennel, but it's not been a favorite so will try something new.

I do love to see what other family favorites are. Thanks to everyone sharing! It makes my tummy growl.
tmh425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh425 View Post
...It's funny, seems the guys in the family are the ones that like stuffing with sausage, but most of us gals prefer it without...

That's certainly the case at our house. Which means we have stuffing without sausage.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
tmh425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 27
Seems par for the course! It's why I'm considering 2.
tmh425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Sometimes I like to make plain Betty Crocker style stuffing with a handful of frozen mixed vegetables with browned sausage as a one dish meal that I serve with gravy, either leftover gravy or a packaged mix that actually tastes pretty good and is quick.

In the turkey I prefer it without the sausage. I love stuffing, and if I had sausage in it, I wouldn't have room to eat anything else.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh425 View Post
I ADORE mushrooms, and so does everyone in my family. This sounds great as one to try. It's funny, seems the guys in the family are the ones that like stuffing with sausage, but most of us gals prefer it without. I have done one with apples & fennel, but it's not been a favorite so will try something new.

I do love to see what other family favorites are. Thanks to everyone sharing! It makes my tummy growl.
You might want to try this. It's so good. I buy a tray of puff pastry tarts,set in muffin tin then take 3-4 types of mushrooms, chop them a d add to skillet with some shallots, 2 bulbs of finely chopped garlic. Saute fully put in pastry top with a small piece of your favorite cheese melt and serve and enjoy.
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,992
my mother's stuffing yum yum
cutup 4-5 strips of bacon and saute along with chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped sm clove garlic under tender not brown. add to season bread cubes and add enough chix or turkey broth till moist. stuff bird or bake in casserole dish. if bakin separte add few dabs of butter on top.

she does her own sesaon own bread cubes - i shortcut and buy pepridge farms.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,835
We like corn bread stuffing/dressing. I don't use a recipe but dice onions, green pepper. and celery - saute in butter till translucent. I break up the corn bread that has been allowed to dry out a bit - add the veggies and start adding poultry seasoning, fresh parsley, chicken broth until I get the right texture and the right taste. Then I add the eggs and mix well before baking. With our large family gathering, we go thru a lot of dressing on Thanksgiving. Other times I may use a mix for part of the mixture.
__________________

__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×