"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileinsp View Post
I was at a Bakery last week and had just the Best Challah Bread. I would love to be able to make it, but I need a recipe to the flavors and the texture in my memory. I have tried many different recipes ~ and none have done it for me.

Looking for ideas...
I'll try and get my wifes recipe tomorrow. Which bakery were you at?

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
There are so many challah recipes, it is impossible to know which one you would like.
Besides Challah is not really a recipe per se, but rather way to shape bread. You can take any bread recipe, shape it as a Challah, basically bread it, and there you go, you have a Challah.
Charlie mate you are correct for non Jews, Brioche contains eggs like challah but a non "kasher" baker will not check the eggs for blood, butter or milk would not be acceptable in a Challah for fear it may be eaten with meat.

Ps I am a bad Jew, one of my fav sarny's made with oven fresh challah is buttered slices with crispy bacon and fried egg. I respect anyone that has faith it is just not for me. Pig is the best meat in the world, everyone should eat it for peace

Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Master Chef

The good Book says, one shoud not judge him/her self. G-d will do that whe time comes.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
Master Chef

Challah.

Here is recipe I've used:
14 cups flour
4 cups water
1/8 cup yeast
1 cup sugar (I prefer less)
1 cup of oil
2 eggs
2 table spoon salt

Mix 1/2 of flour + 1/2 of water + yeast + some sugar. Wait for bubbles to form add the rest of ingredients, reserving oil for kneading. Mix everything well, until dough comes of the walls of whatever container you're using. Let it rise. Divide, roll out, make a braid, or make any other shape you like.
Make either an egg wash or plain water, make sure both have some salt in it. First will create a shiny finish, the second one sort of a bit harder crust.
Bake at 325 deg, for about 45 minutes to an hour. But really you should check, all ovens are different. I know for fact mine is all messed up.

Makes 4-5 loaves.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Good Evening Everyone
Thank You for all your help with this, it looks like I will be trying many recipes to taste - as my memory remembers... or maybe even better

Today I printed out Miriyummys Challah, Cinnamon Buns and Lucious Mug of Coffee - I am looking forward to test driving all three...

Thank You again, Please keep the ideas coming - I am really enjoying this
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

RE: What bakery was I at... Great Harvest Bread Co.

Please let me you If you find out anything
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Yay, Smile! I will let Mirj know you are trying her recipes. She'll be thrilled!

Tags
bread, other, recipe

ISO the "just right" recipe for challah bread I was at a Bakery last week and had just the Best Challah Bread. I would love to be able to make it, but I need a recipe to the flavors and the texture in my memory. I have tried many different recipes ~ and none have done it for me. Looking for ideas...:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews