"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I use what I call the survival system. I break the stale bread up into very small pieces, and I scatter them on the lawn. The bread feeds the birds, and the slow birds feed my cat.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Great ideas, I have so many because I have a restaurant and use much bread. I just hate wasting the ends each day. I will use some as binders now and croutons as well, thanks. Will also try some of the other ideas too.I am new here and find it so nice to be able to ask these questions.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabechef
Great ideas, I have so many because I have a restaurant and use much bread. I just hate wasting the ends each day. I will use some as binders now and croutons as well, thanks. Will also try some of the other ideas too.I am new here and find it so nice to be able to ask these questions.
I've eaten at many good restaurants that use the leftovers for homemade croutons. They are far better than any mass produced ones anyway, and you can make many different flavours.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Here's another idea.
We don't use bread crusts as such, because bread over here is long and thin; ie; baguette, Gallego, Campesino - - - Italian, French, Portuguese or Spanish type breads.
Once the bread begins to get stale ( 1 or 2 days), we slice it into thin rounds (with your crusts this would not be necessary), pplace it on a baking tray, and "bake" at 225º for about an hour. This will dry the bread out completely. It can then be stored in biscuit tins - almost indefinitely.
We use it for Cocktail snacks - ideal for a dip, a salsa, a lump of cheese, etc.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
Here's another idea.
We don't use bread crusts as such, because bread over here is long and thin; ie; baguette, Gallego, Campesino - - - Italian, French, Portuguese or Spanish type breads.
Once the bread begins to get stale ( 1 or 2 days), we slice it into thin rounds (with your crusts this would not be necessary), pplace it on a baking tray, and "bake" at 225 for about an hour. This will dry the bread out completely. It can then be stored in biscuit tins - almost indefinitely.
We use it for Cocktail snacks - ideal for a dip, a salsa, a lump of cheese, etc.
What an excellent idea!!! I will be doing this with my left-over baguette slices. I usually make croutons, which are wonderful, but something crispy with basically NO flavor is perfect for this kind of snacking!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I use what I call the survival system. I break the stale bread up into very small pieces, and I scatter them on the lawn. The bread feeds the birds, and the slow birds feed my cat.
and the cat feeds... ?

Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 AM   #17
Senior Cook

rusks, a cookie (technically biscuit, since it's twice cooked) that most of our grandparents would know.

usually made with thinly sliced leftover baguette or other long, thin bread.

dry out the slices. brush with simple syrup and dry out in the oven.

on the syrup you can sprinkle cinnamon sugar, or you can flavor the syrup with ginger. a good snack for fat and cholesterol concious folk who just can't ignore their sweet tooth. if you make them, better just start off with a whole baguette or two, 'cause they go quickly.

Tags
None