ISO your best cornbread recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettyR

Senior Cook
I'm making red beans and rice for supper tonight and I have a cornbread recipe that I've been using for years; it's a good recipe and we like it but I'm getting bored with it.

Does anyone have a recipe that they really like and wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks,
Betty

Try adding some corn, pepper, onions or all three. It changes the bread. We like it with cheddar cheese in it also. Also, sometimes I make corn cakes, I fry the batter like pancakes. That changes things up too.

Miss Betty, you could change the oil maybe. Try using or adding bacon drippings. Jalapenos would add some zip as well. Then the corn "cakes' Miss Carol suggested are really good. I actually fry them in a small amount of oil so they will be a little crispy!

Enjoy!

I'm making red beans and rice for supper tonight and I have a cornbread recipe that I've been using for years; it's a good recipe and we like it but I'm getting bored with it.

Does anyone have a recipe that they really like and wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks,
Betty
\
just ask uncle bob, his hush puppies are :wacko:sooooooooooooo:wacko: good

Thank you both; those are some really good suggestions!!!

I happen to have a can of cream corn in the pantry that I picked up by mistake. I think I'll add that along with some cheese and jalapenos; that should jazz it up a bit.

Thank you both; those are some really good suggestions!!!

I happen to have a can of cream corn in the pantry that I picked up by mistake. I think I'll add that along with some cheese and jalapenos; that should jazz it up a bit.

Miss Betty, I do't know how much bread you are making, but a whole can of cream style corn may be a bit much. Depending on the reicpe of course.

Miss Betty, I do't know how much bread you are making, but a whole can of cream style corn may be a bit much. Depending on the reicpe of course.

This is my recipe, I thought that I'd decrease the milk by 1/2 cup and add 1 cup of cream corn in its place. What do you think?

Golden Corn Bread

1 cup AP flour
2 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1-1/2 cups milk

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

Preheat oven 400°

Mix the dry ingredients together, make a well in the middle. Add oil, eggs, and milk in the well and mix with a wire whisk.

Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the hot skillet and tilt to cover the bottom and sides with the oil, pour the batter into the skillet and bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes.

This is my recipe, I thought that I'd decrease the milk by 1/2 cup and add 1 cup of cream corn in its place. What do you think?

Golden Corn Bread

1 cup AP flour
2 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1-1/2 cups milk

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

Preheat oven 400°

Mix the dry ingredients together, make a well in the middle. Add oil, eggs, and milk in the well and mix with a wire whisk.

Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the hot skillet and tilt to cover the bottom and sides with the oil, pour the batter into the skillet and bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes.

I say go for it!! If it's too much/too little for your taste you will know next time.

Ok,,,,Now I want cornbread!!:LOL:

I second using the bacon drippings. I also add caramelized red onion, peppers, a load of fresh cilantro and jalapeño. The addition of a good smoked cheddar or pepper jack cubes(small) is nice too.

can also add a little more corn meal, some cream, roasted garlic, fresh parsley and do it Italian kinda. Not saying to pair with your red beans and rice though.

Here's the one I use. I have no idea where it originally came from, but I know I've made major changes to it as I've used it over the years. I just made this last week, as written, to go with my jambalaya and it turned out great, as it always has.

CORNBREAD

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for skillet
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • melted butter for brushing top
PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 425°. Put oil or shortening in a 10-inch iron skillet and place in the oven to preheat while making batter.

In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and butter. Combine with dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are moistened. Batter will be like a thick pancake batter.

Carefully, with heavy oven mitts, lift skillet out and turn to coat all of the inside surface with oil. Pour in batter and return to oven. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until browned. A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.

Last edited:
This is my favorite..

Sour Cream Cornbread

Ingredients:

3 large eggs
1 c. self rising cornmeal
1 can (8 oz) cream style corn
1 carton (8 oz) sour cream
1/4 c. veg.oil

Directions:

Heat a lightly greased 8 in. cast iron skillet in a 400 degree oven for 5 min. In a bowl, combine all ingerdients, and mix until all is moistened. Pour batter into hot pan. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 20 min. or until golden.

Back
Top Bottom