"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

King Arthur Flour

I use KA flour (both unbleached white and bread) but have just made the switch the last couple of months. Has anyone noticed having to add a tiny bit more liquid to ingredients when using this brand of flour? Maybe the flour is finer and measures more than other brands? I've especially noticed it with my breadmaking. I really like it, but I was just wondering if it was me or anyone else had to make some adjustments.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Hmmm, I switched to KA bread flour (white, unbleached organic, I think) and I noticed I have to add less water than with the four I was using before. It's more humid here than it is in MO so maybe that is the difference but I definitely have had to adjust the liquids in my bread.

Where's Katie E? She's one of the baking gurus here and I think she uses KA exclusively.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Like Fisher's Mom, I exclusively use King Arthur flour, passioncook. However, since I bake by weight, using an electronic scale, I can't address your question. As for the "region," I'm in far western Kentucky, so I would guess we enjoy a similar climate. I've been using King Arthur flour for years and years and love it. I can't imagine using any other brand of flour.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

All flour can vary slightly as to the amount of water they absorb. It can vary from batch to batch of flour from the same brand. I bake bread most weeks by weight and I notice differences from week to week.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Executive Chef

yes, I add water to my KA whole wheat traditional flour, much more then the recipes call for. Can't speak about the white flour, but ww definitely.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

I love King Arthur flour esp. the white wheat. I always use a recipe as an approx. guide and then based on the consistency add more flour or liquid depending on what's necessary. Usually I end up using a bit more flour if anything---maybe because of Houston's humidity. By the way, KA has a wonderful sandwich bread recipe that makes the most wonderful toast.

Tags
None