"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy

Much like KFC & their secret herbs & spices.

Do most use same or similar recipes to that posted by WayneT or are there any dramatic changes?

Please post.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:40 PM   #12
Head Chef

G'Day, Brooksy! I have to say that donuts are rarely consumed here, but WayneT's (and obviously yours) is one I gravitate to and will make over the holidays. I prefer cake donuts and your recipes seem perfect. I can well imagine how quickly they disappear from the table!

Old 10-21-2004, 10:20 PM   #13
Senior Cook

This thread reminds me of the bread pudding made with Krispy Creme donuts...It's Paula dean's recipe and still up on the fn site, I'm sure as it was pretty popular. here goes. not for the faint hearted.

2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 (4.5-ounce) cans fruit cocktail (undrained)
2 eggs, beaten
1 (9-ounce) box raisins
1 pinch salt
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Butter Rum Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cube donuts into a large bowl. Pour other ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes. Mix all ingredients together until donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible.

Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled. Top with Butter Rum Sauce.

Butter Rum Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
Rum, to taste
Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Hey Audeo,
Yeast donuts are better (in my opinion).

What I do is roll the dough up after first into a rise roll about 1.5 - 2 inches dia., cut slabs upto 1/2" thick, with floured index finger & thumb push through donut to form the hole. Twirl donut on your finger to increase the size of the hole because it will close up as the dough rises.

Flattenning out the cut pieces also allows for jam in the middle but ensure a seal is formed to keep the oil clean (jam free).

Bewdiful.

To be honest, I've only ever tried making the cake donuts once & didn't like them as much as 'real' donuts. Remind me of commercial junk. (And they are junk up here in my town)

The only difference between WayneT's recipe and mine is the sugar. I only used white. Raw or granulated will be a nice change.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I guess it's time to bust a couple of myths:

From what I've gathered, the "kreme" part of Krispy Kreme comes from the fact that the batter has sour cream in it. Anyone have a sour cream donut recipe?

I know all eleven of KFC's secret herbs and spices. They are:

Salt, pepper, and MSG. The real secret is the fryer, which is a pressure-fryer, half pressure cooker, half deep-fryer.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:56 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Southerncook,

Looks absolutely brilliant!!! The end result must be an eye opener as well. The smell! I can smell it from here. :)

I've printed it out & when I get a chance I'll do it. Bread & butter puddings are popular here so your recipe WILL go down a hoot. Never gave it a thought, but we never end up with spare donuts.

What is a stick of butter? About 1/4 pound?

Rum? Dark - OP or UP? Would my medicinal Rum be ok. That's dark OP Rum my DW doesn't know about. :) Clears up everything from ingrown toe nails to Orchitis.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Sour Cream in the batter, interesting. Are you going to give it a try?

KFC's pressure fryers - yep I worked for them after school & weekends in the late 60's - 70's. At that time the pots were all manually filled and placed on the burners. We had a 16 pot line and boy oh boy was it hard with all burners going. Stinking hot & slippery as hell. The spices came in sealed bags & were simply added to their dish as the level went down. Each chook was in its own bag, already potioned, same with coleslaw & everything. You didn't have to be an Einstein, probably why I was good at it.

10 minutes from sealing to depressurising if my memory serves me correctly. Every piece of chicken placed on the draining rack had to de bones down to drain properly..... Oh God, flashbacks - AAaaggghhhh.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy
Southerncook,

Looks absolutely brilliant!!! The end result must be an eye opener as well. The smell! I can smell it from here. :)

I've printed it out & when I get a chance I'll do it. Bread & butter puddings are popular here so your recipe WILL go down a hoot. Never gave it a thought, but we never end up with spare donuts.

What is a stick of butter? About 1/4 pound?

Rum? Dark - OP or UP? Would my medicinal Rum be ok. That's dark OP Rum my DW doesn't know about. :) Clears up everything from ingrown toe nails to Orchitis.
Please consult your doctor before baking!
yes 1/4 lb=1 stick
I don't think the rum matters, I'd use whatever you have.
please let me know how you like it, as I don't have the guts to try it, but I have a really good imagination!!!
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:24 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

southerncook, I can do it all, but not the fruit cocktail. Ate way too much of that stuff as "dessert" when I was a kid.

yes, we all fought over who got the single maraschino cherry from the can.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy
The only difference between WayneT's recipe and mine is the sugar. I only used white. Raw or granulated will be a nice change.
Hey Brooksy, are you talking about the Cinnamon sugar, as there is already white sugar in my dough.
.........Do you use the vanilla essence.?

.........It took about six batches (and a few pounds/kilos in body fat) before I added the vanilla, I knew something was missing in the flavour, but finally worked it out.

.........I like your finger in the doughnut way of making holes. This is saves heaps of time when making for family, but for guests I prefer to use cutters for uniformity. The first time I made them they looked "homemade".

......... For testing purposes I found that if they looked like store bought doughnuts my victims seemed to respond better. I just served them on a platter and said nothing. They loved them.

.........I guess I got an ego buzz when they found out I made them.

Tags
None