Making bread with wine yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jenni said:
Hi,

Quick question for you bakers. I'm a vintner and usually have a bunch of wine yeast left over after fermentation.

I recently purchased a bread maker, and today I tried making bread with Montrachet wine yeast. It didn't work (didn't really rise that much).

Store bought yeast is expensive (and it seems especially so when I throw away orders of magnitude more yeast than it takes to make bread).

In as much as you have a bread maker, and until you find a way to use the wine yeast, I have an alternative.

Don't buy store bought yeast/super market yeast. It probably has not been taken care of as a living thing.

If you have a good health food store, you might be able to buy yeast in bulk. When I lived up north, I could find it at the local health food store. It was stored in the fridge in 1 pound package. When I move to the south I could not find any health-food stores that carried it. I had to call the health-food store up north and order. I ordered 5-1 pound pkgs. I am in my now down to less than 1/2 pound. That was in 1993. My yeast is still alive and working well.

It is important how you store it. I have a small bottle of yeast, which I store in the fridge, upside down, for day to day use. The remainder is stored in the freezer. It wont be long before I will need to buy more.

Here is a source to order from if you are unable to find one near you. http://waltonfeed.com/yeast.html

Successful Italian Bread!

I,too, was having trouble finding bread yeast and before purchasing wine yeast, read all of your posts. After seeing the instructions for making a sponge, I went ahead and ordered wine yeast, and successfully made an Italian Scali Bread using the sponge. Attached is the PDF of the recipe, including photos of the process as I went along. The dough was easy to work with, rose beautifully, and the loaf looked and tasted wonderful. I don't know that the wine yeast would work with all breads, but it certainly did for this one and I will continue experimenting, and posting results. I hope you enjoy the same results that I did!

Attachments

• Italian Scali Bread Recipe with Photos.Using Wine Yeast for Sponge.pdf
    271.6 KB · Views: 42
Making own sourdough starter

Thanks, RCJoe, I will check out the broadcast! I like having a variety of options for baking and will try this one out.

Back
Top Bottom