May Have Goofed Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
Okay I am working on making some cheese crackers that you start out with flour, cayenne pepper, rice crispies, MARGARINE, sesame seeds and salt. Well I ended up getting butter instead of margarine and decided to go ahead and use that. Is there a time when you should use margarine instead of butter? I have already started blending everything together so I either need to toss it or continue making it. What say you?

I agree with Andy and Mudbug, use the butter, I'll wager you have a fantastic cracker coming along.:)

kadesma

LOL thanks all. Still don't know if it will turn out okay because I made 5 batches at one time and accidentally left out one stick of butter. Hopefully they will turn out okay.

Well the crackers are a flop. I can't even pick them up without them crumbling and I have no clue what is wrong. The only thing I can think of is that I made them about the size of a half dollar and I finally realized that they were way to big. Each batch was suppose to make 56 crackers and I made 5 batches. I think the total amount that I ended up making was about 200. I tried cooking them longer and that seemed to make the crumbling worse. :( Even though they taste really good, they do have a floury taste to them and they are soft and crumbly. :(

IcyMist - if you will post the recipe you were using - and what you did differently - that might give us something to work from to help you figure out the problem. Without out those two things it's impossible to tell.

Since you forgot one of the sticks of butter, that's probably your problem. This is my 'Cheddar pennies' recipe - you can get an idea of the basic ingredients from it:

SPICY CHEDDAR PENNIES W/PECANS

Makes about 20 dz.

1 stick unsalted butter
1 pound very sharp cheddar, shredded, at room temp.
1 ½ cups AP flour
½ cup rice flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne (more or less, to your liking)
½ cup very finely chopped pecans

Heat oven to 325; line baking sheets with parchment.

In food processor, cream butter til smooth; add cheese, process til all mixed together. Add flours, salt, cayenne, and pulse til it forms a ball.

Remove from processor, work in pecans with your hands. Divide dough in 4ths; divide each 4th into 2 strips, and roll out under hands to make a ‘rope’ about the diameter of a penny. Repeat with all; place on a flat sheet and chill 30 minutes.

Cut each rope into slices about 1/8 inch thick, place on baking sheet (you can place pretty close together, as they don’t spread); then take your thumb and flatten them a bit.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, til light brown on top. (If you taste one and it’s a little chewy in the middle, put the sheet back in the oven another few minutes; you want ‘em crisp!)

I also think they may have been too big; how large did the recipe say to make them? IE, bigger crackers, longer cooking time, more chance of not cooking all the way through to a 'dry' state.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom