Milk & Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a young lad, visiting my Grandma, she would pour me a bowl full of milk, then break white bread into it and sprinkle all with sugar. I loved it. My wife thinks it's disgusting.

I also used to love dipping cake doughnuts into milk, along with any kid of cookie. Milk is my favorite beverage and goes well with nearly everything.

I have to admit though, the cornbread and milk idea sounds like it would be so much better than the bread and milk.

Ever try milk and your wife's toes? Me either. Just thought I'd throw that out and see who bites.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That really does sound, although I never would have thought of it!

Does anyone have a good corn bread recipe?

Thanks!

-Mary

I'd forgotten about doing this, Uncle Bob. My daddy liked to eat cornbread in milk, too. He also enjoyed crumbling saltine crackers in a glass of buttermilk for a bedtime snack. I could never get my taste buds wrapped around that one though.

My grandpa used to eat both. I've never tried it with the cornbread, but I love crackers and milk. It's just a comfort thing, I guess.

I've never heard of the Milk & Saltines combo.....Milk and "Light bread" was used only if there was no leftover cornbread. Here, Cornbread rules!!!!!;)

Uh-oh, here we go again ....

Okay, UB, what's "sweet milk"?

Lee

:LOL: Hey Miss Lee

"Sweet Milk" (I think) was/is a term used in the South, and in other areas too maybe, to describe regular milk as opposed to buttermilk. I think it comes from the era when people were milking cows, churning butter, making there own buttermilk etc. Even young folks like me still use the term from time to time. I grew up hearing the term used by my grandmother, and mother!

When I was a kid, my dad's favorite thing was crumbling up cornbread into a glass of buttermilk. He was raised in OK so maybe it was a regional thing with the buttermilk.

In Indian cuisine there is a recipe called Shahi Tukre (Royal Bites) that is made with bread and milk and then embellished with ricotta cheese and nuts and spices. It is interesting how simple ingredients like milk and bread can turn into gourmet dessert.

It's not as simple as what Uncle Bob listed but here is a general recipe. Next time you have left over bread and milk you can give it a try. You will also need a few more ingredients to make it authentic like saffron and cardamom which for me are basic pantry staples but may not be for everyone. Youc an also experiment with other flavors:

Milk - Cook it down until it reduces to a quarter in volume (regular milk boiled down by stirring until it's thick and coats a spoon). Add sugar to your liking. Stir in cardamom powder and saffron and let it cool.

Bread - White bread (any kind of sandwich bread or french will do). Cut the corners and pan fry them in some butter until golden.

Ricotta Cheese - Cook a cup of ricotta until the water evaporates and add a tiny bit of sweet butter to it and some dry milk to ensure it is of a crumbly texture.

Nuts - Sweet cashews, almonds and pistachios - roughly chopped and fried in some butter and reserved

To assemble.

Dip the bread in the thick milk and put it in a large pan in a single layer. Next sprinkle the ricotta over it (use your hands for sprinkling). Pour the any remaining milk. Finish with the nuts and chill prior to serving.

The bread will soak up the flavored milk and that along with the rich ricotta texture and crunchy nuts make for a very delectable dessert.

Great for Individual serving or a Buffet.

Soggy bread, yuk! One of those mouth sensations I can't handle.
But I LIKE bread pudding... go figure!

Soggy bread, yuk! One of those mouth sensations I can't handle.
But I LIKE bread pudding... go figure!
Exactly! I never ate the cornbread & buttermilk because it just didn't seem right. But bread pudding is one of my favorite treats! Also banana pudding (with it's slightly soggy vanilla wafers) and tiramisu (with the soggy lady fingers).

My dad ate this pretty regularly. Milk and bread, milk and crackers, milk and cornbread. Sometimes he would use buttermilk. I always found it to be disgusting for some reason and I can't even watch someone eat it. But my dad sure loved it!

This thread reminds me of when I was a kid my grandmother used to soak Pilot crackers in hot water until they swelled. Then top with butter and sugar. I think I will have to look for those Pilot crackers next time I am in the market.

Grandma from Georgia, and Nanny & Grandpa from Mississippi, all used to eat cornbread crumbled up in a glass of buttermilk ... either for supper or for a bedtime snack. Heck ... Mom, all my aunts and uncles did, too.

When I was sick I used to get milquetoast - toasted white bread with a pinch or two of sugar and sweet milk.

humm ... talk about comfort food!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom