"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-16-2006, 02:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

My own oven spring problems

I know that there was another thread going on several months back, but I would rather not revive an old thread.

Anyway, my story is that I bake bread as a hobby. It's a casual thing so I am severely limited in equipment. I do have the basics, just nothing fancy like bakings stones or material for creating steam.

Lets see now, I'm currently experimenting on making a great oven spring for white bread. It is a pan loaf in a glass pan of which I am unsure of the dimensions. I use three and a half cups of flour and add random amounts of water based on the consistency of the dough. Then I do the usual thing, let it rise, release the gas, then let it rise some more in the pan. Then I bake it for about 35 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

My problem here is that I have very little to no oven spring. I've managed to have great oven spring about a year ago about two times where it almost doubled in size. My mom has tried it once and, without letting it rise in the pan, managed to make it enormous and very fluffy inside. This proves that it is possible to have great oven spring.

However, I have tried it several times since then and have failed every single time to get good oven spring (nearly twice the size). I have experimented like adding butter or keeping the crust moist or even making steam inside of the oven, which was an extremely difficult thing to do. Every single experiment failed. I have no idea what to do next. None of the books I find in the library or the bookstore give any tips at all regarding this and I believe this forum is my only hope.

Can anyone help me?

Old 09-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Is it the exact same recipe you are using? Not all breads have a good oven spring. That is a pretty high temp for bread ina pan, I think. Is there a tad of sugar in your dough? Some shortening will make the dough "springier". Are you using fresh yeast? Do you proof your yeast before continuing the process?
I bake my white bread in a pan at 350-375*. Good oven spring.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Is it the exact same recipe you are using? Not all breads have a good oven spring. That is a pretty high temp for bread ina pan, I think. Is there a tad of sugar in your dough? Some shortening will make the dough "springier". Are you using fresh yeast? Do you proof your yeast before continuing the process?
I bake my white bread in a pan at 350-375*. Good oven spring.
That's pretty much how I did it. I have not tried sugar yet but I have tried adding butter. I also used dry yeast, the type you have to put in warm water for a while before adding it to the dough. I have no idea where to get fresh yeast and frankly have little to no time to bother.

Please note that I am unsure of how terms like "proof" is used. I have a good idea of what it means, but I'm not sure how to use it correctly.

Also, I use that temperature because most if not all of the recipes I could find use it.

Incidentally, when my mom had a huge oven spring she didn't add any salt to the dough. It was completely bland but the texture was incredibly light!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Everymom

Quote:
Incidentally, when my mom had a huge oven spring she didn't add any salt to the dough. It was completely bland but the texture was incredibly light!
Well that would do it. The salt impedes the action of the yeast. I guess you have to decide now whether the texture or the taste is more important.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Well that would do it. The salt impedes the action of the yeast. I guess you have to decide now whether the texture or the taste is more important.
Maybe I should add the yeast to sugar water instead? Last time I did that the yeast mixture was extra foamy.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

You add the yeast to the sugar and water and let it activate. It will get foamy. Mix the salt with the flour and add that combination to the yeast and wataer mixture.

If you add the salt to the water and yeast, you are killing the yeast.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Sugar gives the yeast extra "food" (besides the starch in the flour) and makes it more effective. And salt kills off/impedes the yeast, as Andy said. And the temperature is important. Also, altitude is a factor. How high are you above sea level, and how high is your mother?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You add the yeast to the sugar and water and let it activate. It will get foamy. Mix the salt with the flour and add that combination to the yeast and wataer mixture.

If you add the salt to the water and yeast, you are killing the yeast.
Just to point out that I actually use less salt then the recipes I use. For approximately three and a half cups of flour I use about one teaspoon of salt. I'm not sure but I think that the butter I used last time had salt in it. But most of the time I don't use butter at all.

Maybe the sugary yeast will work after all. I use two teaspoons. I'm not sure if I should mix the yeast in the water or just sprinkle it on.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I make breads in my mixer bowl. I add the yeast and sugar and then pour in the water and give it a quick stir.

Don't skimp on the salt, it makes a huge difference in the flavor.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFrench
Sugar gives the yeast extra "food" (besides the starch in the flour) and makes it more effective. And salt kills off/impedes the yeast, as Andy said. And the temperature is important. Also, altitude is a factor. How high are you above sea level, and how high is your mother?
We're not that high above sea level and I live with my parents. Same house, same oven, same yeast, etc.

Tags
None