My sloppy Joes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Here's my sloppy joe's recipe.

Warning "it has ground lamb in it"

Ingredients:
1-1/4 pounds ground Ground Lamb
chuck
2/3 large diced White onion
2/3 large diced Red Bell Pepper
2/3 celery stalk, diced
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato
soup

3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire
sauce
4 hamburger buns
2 X slices of Munster cheese per sandwich

Directions:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (4). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (6).
1.Place the Dutch Oven over medium heat / High heat. Crumble the ground beef into the D.O and cook until brown. Add the onion, pepper, and celery and cook until soft. Stir in the tomato soup, ground cumin, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; simmer until hot. Ladle meat onto hamburger buns; top with Munster cheese.

Here are the photo's of the sloppy joe night with the family!

The Dutch Oven Sloppy Joe mix.
709489789_joiiL-X3.jpg

The Sandwich Station.
709490210_926aT-X3.jpg

The sandwich, Sorry about not lifting the top bun off the sandwich for display "my bad"
709490392_L87vM-X3.jpg

Low Sodium [for me] meal. ( except for the cheese )

Last edited by a moderator:
You are the only other person besides my wife and her family that I have ever met who use Campbell's Tomato soup as the base flavor sauce. Btu I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. Her version is simply a pound of browned ground beef mixed with on can of tomato soup. That's it. And it tastes good. I won't print my recipe here. It's rather involved, but tastes great too.

It just goes to show that sometimes simple is just fine.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You are the only other person besides my wife and her family that I have ever met who use Campbell's Tomato soup as the base flavor sauce. Btu I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. Her version is simply a pound of browned ground beef mixed with on can of tomato soup. That's it. And it tastes good. I won't print my recipe here. It's rather involved, but tastes great too.

It just goes to show that sometimes simple is just fine.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
What other bases can we use for sloppy joes?

124mg in the lamb (100g)
640mg (125g) in the soup. (Didn't bother calculating the bun or cheese) Whats your total daily allowance CC? For a 1/2 cup serving of this sloppy joe you are nearly at 1000mg. Better only have one helping! ;)

If you are looking to lower sodium content a good way to start would be to use real tomatoes, and get rid of the tomato soup. Any processed soup is killer with regard to sodium content.

Like the idea with ground lamb though. We don't get that often around here.

124mg in the lamb (100g)
640mg (125g) in the soup. (Didn't bother calculating the bun or cheese) Whats your total daily allowance CC? For a 1/2 cup serving of this sloppy joe you are nearly at 1000mg. Better only have one helping! ;)

If you are looking to lower sodium content a good way to start would be to use real tomatoes, and get rid of the tomato soup. Any processed soup is killer with regard to sodium content.

Like the idea with ground lamb though. We don't get that often around here.
Thanks Alix, And the daily intank about 3000 sodium. However I didn't put that much on my bun. I probably put only a 1/4th cup of the mix on my bun so I could have more cheese & what not. Then the rest of the night I had to eat fruit since I was pretty much at my limit.

Man I really hate this freaking DIET.

Please be careful CC. I haven't said much but here is a link about RDA of sodium. Your 3000mg is well above the recommended limit for healthy adults and would put you into high sodium territory.

As I mentioned, this recipe would be easy to alter sodium content with a few minor changes. Basic premise of this is more processing = more sodium. So if you use less processed foods your sodium content drops dramatically.

Please be careful CC. I haven't said much but here is a link about RDA of sodium. Your 3000mg is well above the recommended limit for healthy adults and would put you into high sodium territory.

As I mentioned, this recipe would be easy to alter sodium content with a few minor changes. Basic premise of this is more processing = more sodium. So if you use less processed foods your sodium content drops dramatically.
I'm trying to be careful but it's hard to stay on a diet even a medical one.

Hmmm the real tomatoes idea was a pretty good idea. And I'm pretty much sticking to leaner meats such as lamb, and what ever else might be considered leaner. I'm also eating more fish as well.

Lamb isn't really considered a lean meat. Try ground turkey instead.

Canned soup is generally high in sodium.

Like others have said, your sloppy joe with cheese, though probably delicious, is NOT a low sodium meal, like you claim.

And 3000 mg of sodium per day is NOT a low sodium diet.

If you really do have a sodium problem, IMO you need to seek better medical and nutritional advice ... and soon.

Good luck. :chef:

I second that. It sounds like you need to see a nutritionist as far as your "medical diet" goes.

Well heck if we are beating the Chili, I'd like to know how that limited food budget is working out. Sounds like you found some income....

;)

I have some ground lamb, I might just try it in a chili concoction myself!

I havent had sloppy Joe's since i was in school...those lunch ladies really have the tastiest sloppy joe's i have ever tasted...

as for different bases for sloppy joes - i use heinz chili sauce....sort of like spiced ketchup (but not "hot" spicy)...ive seen lots of recipes call for this....brown your meat (turkey, beef, whatever - i really like the idea of lamb) with onion (we skip the peppers)....add the chili sauce until its the thickness you like, some chili (or chilli?) powder, a small squirt of mustard, and a few splashes of worcestershire sauce....best served on cheap white buns....this is my favorite way, and really reminds me of the classic kind as a kid

For those who do not know - Chile is on a 3,000mg sodium restricted diet for Congestive Heart Failure (CHF). The standard recommended sodium content for a CHF diet is either 2,000mg or 3,000mg sodium/day. There are other similar diets online, and basically what you will be given by your physician and/or dietitian - but this one is well laid out and explained for an example: Diet For The Treatment of Heart Failure

While it is true that this recipe could be tweaked to lower the sodium content even more, I applaud Chile for making an effort to follow the advice he was given by his physician and dietitian. It is, if nothing else, a step in the right direction.

There is a debate over the RDA - in the UK it is 1,600mg, the American Heart Association used to be 3,000mg but they dropped it to 2,400mg and now lowered it to 2,300mg - other equally informed and researched sources still have it at 3,000mg - 3,500mg. The only thing they all seem to agree on is nobody knows exactly what the Required daily intake is, and that we all tend to consume more than we need.

Michael, I personally didn't see anyone being anything but supportive to CC and thanks for clarifying, I sometimes forget that not everyone reads every thread! The only question I saw that arose was around the comment "low sodium recipe" that CC posted originally. For anyone just arriving on the forum that might be misleading. For CC it is likely lower than usual but it is by no means an actual low sodium recipe.

Anyone on a restricted sodium diet can find wonderful online resources for calculating the sodium in each and every ingredient they are using in their cooking. If anyone needs help with that I would be happy to help. I regularly put together information for parents to help their kids eat better.

Michael, I personally didn't see anyone being anything but supportive to CC and thanks for clarifying, I sometimes forget that not everyone reads every thread! The only question I saw that arose was around the comment "low sodium recipe" that CC posted originally. For anyone just arriving on the forum that might be misleading. For CC it is likely lower than usual but it is by no means an actual low sodium recipe.

Anyone on a restricted sodium diet can find wonderful online resources for calculating the sodium in each and every ingredient they are using in their cooking. If anyone needs help with that I would be happy to help. I regularly put together information for parents to help their kids eat better.
Hey Mich, Your correct but it's hard to stick to a diet like this since you've been eatin normally for years. You know what I mean?

By the way I want to know how I can make my own tomato soup?

I know you start with fresh tomato's, then you can add 600grams of chicken/beef boulin and have tomato soup that's around 600 grams of salt for a pan full, instead of 600 grams of salt in every 1/4th cup of the store bought stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my recipe for sloppy joes:

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup water

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain and return to pan. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and water. Stir well, cover, reduce heat and cook 20 minutes.

You could certainly leave out the salt, use no salt ketchup and a low-sodium Worcestershire sauce.

Here's my recipe for sloppy joes:

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup water

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain and return to pan. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and water. Stir well, cover, reduce heat and cook 20 minutes.

You could certainly leave out the salt, use no salt ketchup and a low-sodium Worcestershire sauce.
This is close to what I make.. I add a bit more Brown sugar but balance it out with cider vinegar.. sweet/sour thing... I also use more Worcestershire sauce than that..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom