"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
My sloppy Joes

Here's my sloppy joe's recipe.

Warning "it has ground lamb in it"


Ingredients:
1-1/4 pounds ground Ground Lamb
chuck
2/3 large diced White onion
2/3 large diced Red Bell Pepper
2/3 celery stalk, diced
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato
soup

3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire
sauce
4 hamburger buns
2 X slices of Munster cheese per sandwich

Directions:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (4). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (6).
1.Place the Dutch Oven over medium heat / High heat. Crumble the ground beef into the D.O and cook until brown. Add the onion, pepper, and celery and cook until soft. Stir in the tomato soup, ground cumin, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; simmer until hot. Ladle meat onto hamburger buns; top with Munster cheese.


Here are the photo's of the sloppy joe night with the family!

The Dutch Oven Sloppy Joe mix.


The Sandwich Station.


The sandwich, Sorry about not lifting the top bun off the sandwich for display "my bad"










Low Sodium [for me] meal. ( except for the cheese )

__________________

__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 333
Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
tasty
__________________

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
tasty
Thanks, I know I messed up twice on the recipe ( I forgot to edit it before I hit the post )


By the way the sloppy joes would have tasted better on kaiser buns.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
You are the only other person besides my wife and her family that I have ever met who use Campbell's Tomato soup as the base flavor sauce. Btu I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. Her version is simply a pound of browned ground beef mixed with on can of tomato soup. That's it. And it tastes good. I won't print my recipe here. It's rather involved, but tastes great too.

It just goes to show that sometimes simple is just fine.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
You are the only other person besides my wife and her family that I have ever met who use Campbell's Tomato soup as the base flavor sauce. Btu I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. Her version is simply a pound of browned ground beef mixed with on can of tomato soup. That's it. And it tastes good. I won't print my recipe here. It's rather involved, but tastes great too.

It just goes to show that sometimes simple is just fine.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
What other bases can we use for sloppy joes?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
124mg in the lamb (100g)
640mg (125g) in the soup. (Didn't bother calculating the bun or cheese) Whats your total daily allowance CC? For a 1/2 cup serving of this sloppy joe you are nearly at 1000mg. Better only have one helping!

If you are looking to lower sodium content a good way to start would be to use real tomatoes, and get rid of the tomato soup. Any processed soup is killer with regard to sodium content.

Like the idea with ground lamb though. We don't get that often around here.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
124mg in the lamb (100g)
640mg (125g) in the soup. (Didn't bother calculating the bun or cheese) Whats your total daily allowance CC? For a 1/2 cup serving of this sloppy joe you are nearly at 1000mg. Better only have one helping!

If you are looking to lower sodium content a good way to start would be to use real tomatoes, and get rid of the tomato soup. Any processed soup is killer with regard to sodium content.

Like the idea with ground lamb though. We don't get that often around here.
Thanks Alix, And the daily intank about 3000 sodium. However I didn't put that much on my bun. I probably put only a 1/4th cup of the mix on my bun so I could have more cheese & what not. Then the rest of the night I had to eat fruit since I was pretty much at my limit.



Man I really hate this freaking DIET.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Please be careful CC. I haven't said much but here is a link about RDA of sodium. Your 3000mg is well above the recommended limit for healthy adults and would put you into high sodium territory.

As I mentioned, this recipe would be easy to alter sodium content with a few minor changes. Basic premise of this is more processing = more sodium. So if you use less processed foods your sodium content drops dramatically.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Please be careful CC. I haven't said much but here is a link about RDA of sodium. Your 3000mg is well above the recommended limit for healthy adults and would put you into high sodium territory.

As I mentioned, this recipe would be easy to alter sodium content with a few minor changes. Basic premise of this is more processing = more sodium. So if you use less processed foods your sodium content drops dramatically.
I'm trying to be careful but it's hard to stay on a diet even a medical one.

Hmmm the real tomatoes idea was a pretty good idea. And I'm pretty much sticking to leaner meats such as lamb, and what ever else might be considered leaner. I'm also eating more fish as well.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
Lamb isn't really considered a lean meat. Try ground turkey instead.

Canned soup is generally high in sodium.

Like others have said, your sloppy joe with cheese, though probably delicious, is NOT a low sodium meal, like you claim.

And 3000 mg of sodium per day is NOT a low sodium diet.

If you really do have a sodium problem, IMO you need to seek better medical and nutritional advice ... and soon.

Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.