"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Sous Chef

My sloppy Joes

Here's my sloppy joe's recipe.

Warning "it has ground lamb in it"

Ingredients:
1-1/4 pounds ground Ground Lamb
chuck
2/3 large diced White onion
2/3 large diced Red Bell Pepper
2/3 celery stalk, diced
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato
soup

3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire
sauce
4 hamburger buns
2 X slices of Munster cheese per sandwich

Directions:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (4). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (6).
1.Place the Dutch Oven over medium heat / High heat. Crumble the ground beef into the D.O and cook until brown. Add the onion, pepper, and celery and cook until soft. Stir in the tomato soup, ground cumin, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; simmer until hot. Ladle meat onto hamburger buns; top with Munster cheese.

Here are the photo's of the sloppy joe night with the family!

The Dutch Oven Sloppy Joe mix.

The Sandwich Station.

The sandwich, Sorry about not lifting the top bun off the sandwich for display "my bad"

Low Sodium [for me] meal. ( except for the cheese )

Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
tasty

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
tasty
Thanks, I know I messed up twice on the recipe ( I forgot to edit it before I hit the post )

By the way the sloppy joes would have tasted better on kaiser buns.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Master Chef

You are the only other person besides my wife and her family that I have ever met who use Campbell's Tomato soup as the base flavor sauce. Btu I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. Her version is simply a pound of browned ground beef mixed with on can of tomato soup. That's it. And it tastes good. I won't print my recipe here. It's rather involved, but tastes great too.

It just goes to show that sometimes simple is just fine.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
You are the only other person besides my wife and her family that I have ever met who use Campbell's Tomato soup as the base flavor sauce. Btu I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. Her version is simply a pound of browned ground beef mixed with on can of tomato soup. That's it. And it tastes good. I won't print my recipe here. It's rather involved, but tastes great too.

It just goes to show that sometimes simple is just fine.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
What other bases can we use for sloppy joes?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Everymom

124mg in the lamb (100g)
640mg (125g) in the soup. (Didn't bother calculating the bun or cheese) Whats your total daily allowance CC? For a 1/2 cup serving of this sloppy joe you are nearly at 1000mg. Better only have one helping!

If you are looking to lower sodium content a good way to start would be to use real tomatoes, and get rid of the tomato soup. Any processed soup is killer with regard to sodium content.

Like the idea with ground lamb though. We don't get that often around here.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
124mg in the lamb (100g)
640mg (125g) in the soup. (Didn't bother calculating the bun or cheese) Whats your total daily allowance CC? For a 1/2 cup serving of this sloppy joe you are nearly at 1000mg. Better only have one helping!

If you are looking to lower sodium content a good way to start would be to use real tomatoes, and get rid of the tomato soup. Any processed soup is killer with regard to sodium content.

Like the idea with ground lamb though. We don't get that often around here.
Thanks Alix, And the daily intank about 3000 sodium. However I didn't put that much on my bun. I probably put only a 1/4th cup of the mix on my bun so I could have more cheese & what not. Then the rest of the night I had to eat fruit since I was pretty much at my limit.

Man I really hate this freaking DIET.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Everymom

Please be careful CC. I haven't said much but here is a link about RDA of sodium. Your 3000mg is well above the recommended limit for healthy adults and would put you into high sodium territory.

As I mentioned, this recipe would be easy to alter sodium content with a few minor changes. Basic premise of this is more processing = more sodium. So if you use less processed foods your sodium content drops dramatically.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Please be careful CC. I haven't said much but here is a link about RDA of sodium. Your 3000mg is well above the recommended limit for healthy adults and would put you into high sodium territory.

As I mentioned, this recipe would be easy to alter sodium content with a few minor changes. Basic premise of this is more processing = more sodium. So if you use less processed foods your sodium content drops dramatically.
I'm trying to be careful but it's hard to stay on a diet even a medical one.

Hmmm the real tomatoes idea was a pretty good idea. And I'm pretty much sticking to leaner meats such as lamb, and what ever else might be considered leaner. I'm also eating more fish as well.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Master Chef

Lamb isn't really considered a lean meat. Try ground turkey instead.

Canned soup is generally high in sodium.

Like others have said, your sloppy joe with cheese, though probably delicious, is NOT a low sodium meal, like you claim.

And 3000 mg of sodium per day is NOT a low sodium diet.

If you really do have a sodium problem, IMO you need to seek better medical and nutritional advice ... and soon.

Good luck.

Tags
None