Need a spark of direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't think of anything that hasn't already been suggested at the moment, so I'll just add my two cents to one of the previous suggestions:

Potato bread is great stuff. Potato flour is available in a number of grocery stores near me, from Safeway (the big chain) to the little markets. It makes things a good deal easier if (like me) you don't otherwise make potatoes often. It's also nice to have around to add to other types of bread, it does nice things to the texture. That said, making potato bread from potatoes is cheaper and better. I usually get yukon gold or red potatos and boil them, though I've heard others say the flavor is better if you bake the potatoes (I haven't tried that). Here's a great recipe for a potato bread that's a big hit in my house. I've made it with both commercial yeast and with sourdough and it's always a favorite here. Have always left out the bacon though it sounds great to me. I live with a vegetarian who loves the bread, so I'd feel bad leaving her out.

The recipe I linked suggests that it works fine with leftover mashed potatoes, salt and all, but since I make mine specifically for bread use, I always boil them unsalted to keep my measures simple.

What a great-looking site, RK! Can't wait to try some of the posted recipes.........the potato bread looks yummy!!!! I also like the idea of adding the chives (only found garlic chives over here but I think that'd they be great), bacon, and a bit of cheese........thanks for the site;)

What a great-looking site, RK! Can't wait to try some of the posted recipes.........the potato bread looks yummy!!!! I also like the idea of adding the chives (only found garlic chives over here but I think that'd they be great), bacon, and a bit of cheese........thanks for the site;)

It is great. A great community of helpful and knowledgeable folks - a lot like DC, but bread-specific. Glad to hear that you like it.

I'm Russ over there, BTW.

Here's one I bake quite often.

DILL AND ONION BREAD​
Adapted from​
The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors – Jeff Smith 1990

INGREDIENTS:​
2 envelope quick rising yeast
½ cup warm water (105F)
4 Tablespoons melted butter
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups warmed small curd creamed cottage cheese. (Not hot)​

2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
2 Tablespoons dried dill weed (or 4 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill)
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
4 ½ to 5 cups all-purpose flour​
FOR BAKING:​
cornmeal for the baking sheet; 1 egg yolk, beaten with 2 Tablespoons water
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water (105F).
2. Combine the yeast and water with all the ingredients except the flour and mix well in a
heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the batter blade
.**

3. Add 2 cups of the flour and blend well.
4. Change to the dough hook on your machine and mix in the remaining flour.​
Add the last
½ cup of flour only if you feel that the dough is too wet and it will not pull away
from the side of the bowl and kneading it for about 10 minutes.
If you do not have a
heavy-duty electric mixer, you must knead in the last 2 ½ to 3 cups of flour by hand.
5. Place the dough on a plastic countertop and cover it with a large stainless-steel bowl.
6. Let the dough rise until double in bulk, punch down and let rise again.
7. Knead the dough again until it is smooth and elastic.
8. Shape into 2 loaves and place on baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal.
9. Cover the loaves with a cloth and let rise until doubled in size.
10. Paint the loaves with the diluted egg yoke.
11. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. The bottoms will
sound hollow when tapped with your finger.

Notes:​
* I used a combination of cottage cheese and sour cream, about 50-50.

**I mixed everything in my Bosch Universal with the dough hooks.

Here is an olive/pepper jack cheese bread that is a killer.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/ULnLSG...Old Camp Cook/Olive Pepper-Jack Sourdough.pdf

The Kalamata Olives are a bit pricey, but do make a huge difference in the taste. Don't cut the cheese any smaller or it will melt away into the bread. In fact, I usually cut mine into one inch cubes.

Bob

That sounds yummy, too! I can forgo sweets at any time--even chocoloate but I adore savories esp. breads.......once and a GREAT while we'll get a pepper jack in the imported section but you have to hand over your first born for payment -----and it's a Food Club brand no less......isn't always here....as MexicoKaren said living overseas is a challenge in the kitchen at times.......will give that one a try, too

Adillo, see you have lots of bread on your hands. Just wanted to ask if you saw my post. ;)

Here is the recipe for Rich Tomato Bread from my Cooking Light collection:

Rich Tomato Bread Recipe - Rice/Grains - MyRecipes.com

Reread the Spinach Cheese swirls & one is made with puff pastry, & the other with crescent roll dough. Can post them if you are still interested. Did find two yummy spinach cheese breads.

Hearty Spinach and Feta Cheese Bread « Toxo Bread
(Makes me want a Tomato & Mayo sammie ;-) )

Cheese Bread: Spinach Cheese Bread Recipe

I make an english muffin toasting bread that is a nice change from my usual breads. I can't find the recipe but I'm sure you could Google it and find lots of recipes to choose from. It makes a great tuna salad or chicken salad sangwich.

Hi Amy - I did see your post. Thank You.

I am sorry for not acking it sooner. It has been some "strange" days lately. Good strange.

Sedagive - English muffins are on the try list over the winter.

Amy et all - I am terribly jealous of all of you that have cooking pages of your own. I am desparately trying to put time in my schedule somewhere to learn some HTML so that I can put up some of my recipies.

DC has improved what I cook, allowen me to meet new friends and pushed me in another direction in my 45 years in the comuter business.

Thank You DC!
AC

Amy et all - I am terribly jealous of all of you that have cooking pages of your own. I am desparately trying to put time in my schedule somewhere to learn some HTML so that I can put up some of my recipies.

Hi AC,

I just wanted to say that you don't really need to learn HTML in order to start a blog these days. Most of the major blogging sites make it very easy to post content and adjust the presentation without the need for learning HTML.

I won't go too deeply into detail here since I feel like I'm getting pretty far off the main topic, but if you want some pointers, PM me and I'd be glad to help you get started.

OLDCAMPCOOK - you're just a little way out of Tulsa - find a middle east market there. The olives are very inexpensive and they keep so well. Usually a lot of varities as well.

Back
Top Bottom