Need help with Garlic Bread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband and I, 2 other couples are all having dinner together Monday night, and we are in charge of bringing garlic bread. (They're having Spaggetti for the meal)

But for us, i've just always buttered a couple slices of bread, and sprinkled them with garlc powder..... I'd like to do something fancier than that.

What kind of bread should I buy for it?

Anyone have a good recipe I can use??:chef:

You can get french baget, it works really well. I usually just throw bunch of fresh garlic and butter and salt into small food processor, mix really well, spread, bake.

You could do what Buck and I do. Roast a whole head of garlic, then squeeze out the sweet, soft cloves. Mix the cloves with some softened butter or whipped butter, a little finely chopped fresh parsley and enough salt to your taste. Spread this mixture on the toasted bread slices of your choice.

I make our own baguettes here, so I simply slice the bread about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick and toast until golden and, while still a bit warm, spread with the garlic-butter mixture.

You could guild the lily a bit by sprinkling a little grated Parmesan cheese over.

Pretty tasty way of "kicking up" garlic bread. We like it in our house.

Last edited:
I would go with a french loaf. Dice some fresh garlic, mix it with some butter, spread, and go. :)
Have fun.

Should toss some mixed mozz/cheddar cheese on that too, in my opinion.

We usually use a French style baguette. presliced diagonally, The slices not fully cut. We then mixed pureed garlic, butter & mixed herbs and spread it through the part cut slices. Wrap in tinfoil and bake.

But for us, i've just always buttered a couple slices of bread, and sprinkled them with garlc powder..... I'd like to do something fancier than that.
:chef:

I used to do that if I didn't have a roll on hand, in which case I would do the same thing to a roll.
I would follow one of the other recipes posted for taking your bread to a friend's, but for yourself next time, try brushing some EVOO on the bread (I use thick sliced homemade), toast it, then simply rub it with a clove of fresh garlic. The toasty texture of the bread will act like sandpaper and shave down the clove onto the bread.
Why open a jar of powdered if you don't have to?
Geez, I can't believe I just said that :LOL:

This is the one we are addicted to in my house. It takes a little time to prep, but it will REALLY wow them!

Recipes : Kicked up Stuffed Garlic Bread : Food Network

If you don't want to do the filling part, the bread w/ the garlic butter is also very good by itself.... I make it as my regular, unstuffed garlic bread. :pig:

The stuffed version works as a whole meal sometimes!

My local pizza store does a couple of stuffed garlic breads -

"Bad Breath" - cheese, garlic, onion, fresh tomato
"Filled Garlic Bread" - pineapple, herbs, bacon, onion and cheese
"Chicken Filled Garlic Bread" - chicken, cheese, garlic, onion and fresh tomato

I like all of them but if the chicken one came with pineapple and bacon, it would be even better!! I don't have them very often - once in a blue moon. And they are very filling.

They also offer "Sweet Chilli and Cheese Garlic Bread" and "Turkish Garlic Bread".

All of the recipies are fantastic - you can't go wrong with butter or olive oil and fresh garlic on bread. My suggestion is put the ingredients on the halved bread at home and bring it on a cookie sheet covered in foil to your friend's house. This is now ready to go under their broiler shortly before dinner is served(be sure to remove the foil so that the bread gets toasted and the butter and garlic get absorbed into the bread). Keep an eye on the bread as it only takes a few minutes to toast. The aroma will drive everyone crazy!

I used to do that if I didn't have a roll on hand, in which case I would do the same thing to a roll.
I would follow one of the other recipes posted for taking your bread to a friend's, but for yourself next time, try brushing some EVOO on the bread (I use thick sliced homemade), toast it, then simply rub it with a clove of fresh garlic. The toasty texture of the bread will act like sandpaper and shave down the clove onto the bread.
Why open a jar of powdered if you don't have to?
Geez, I can't believe I just said that :LOL:

This is similar to the original bruschetta recipe. In older times, bread was dipped in first-pressed olive oil, roasted in the field over open fire, then rubbed with raw garlic. Bruschetta, if I remember correctly, means toasted bread. It was used to test the quality of the olive oil.

Eventually, it was discovered by the British and other toppings were added. Historically, the garlic bread we know (butter and garlic) was the rich-person's version while bruschetta was the peasant version. But after the British began using it, bruschetta became the prefered, or rich-person's version. Personally, I love a good bruschetta, made the old world way. Of course I use my charcoal grill to toast the bread, with wood on it to give some smoky flavor. EVOO + crusty french baguette + garlic + fire = great bruschetta. I'd take that to anybodies anything. But that's just my opinion.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yummy ideas all!! I like to serve Garlic infused EVOO in individual servings allowing each guest to add a little salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Dip the warm, crusty bread in the oil and enjoy!

I just remembered this one.
I had it as an appy at a place in CHicago, been doing it ever since....
Cut the tops off 2-3 heads of garlic, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper, Wrap tightly in foil and roast at 425 about 45 min.
Warm a nice crusty loaf of french baguette, serve with butter.
Slice bread, spread with butter, squeeze a clove of yummy garlic on top and spread.
This is the BESTEST garlic bread ever... and self sere so its way too easy!
I like the toasted way too, rubbing raw garlic on it.
I'm really wanting to feed my garlic monster.....

What I like to do for great garlic bread is to confit (cook it until soft, in olive oil) some garlic in oil, and then smash it with my knife. I then work in a slightly larger amount of room temp. butter, smashing the garlic and butter together until it is well combined. Smear this generously on top of whatever type of bread you have, season with some kosher salt, and pop it under the broiler until browned. For a little extra twist, pull it out from the broiler a couple minutes before it has fully browned and sprinkle with shredded parmigiano reggiano for cheesy garlic bread.

That stuff is horribly unhealthy, but it sure is good.

In case anyone was wondering the dinner got moved to tonight, instead of last Monday..

So I have a couple questions... When you say "Head of Garlic" are you meaning the little ball shaped garlics, that are about the size of a golf ball? I have a couple boxes with 2 of those in each box, and a bag full of them. I bough them a while ago just for this. I bought 2 loafs and am planning on making them some different ways..

I like the idea of wrapping them in foil with EVOO and baking them, then squeazing it ontop of the bread. So do I just need 2-3 of these?

My second question, is if I just want to chop some garlic up, and mix with butter, evoo, seasonings,etc.. Do i have to peel the garlic first?

In case anyone was wondering the dinner got moved to tonight, instead of last Monday..

So I have a couple questions... When you say "Head of Garlic" are you meaning the little ball shaped garlics, that are about the size of a golf ball? I have a couple boxes with 2 of those in each box, and a bag full of them. I bough them a while ago just for this. I bought 2 loafs and am planning on making them some different ways..

I like the idea of wrapping them in foil with EVOO and baking them, then squeazing it ontop of the bread. So do I just need 2-3 of these?

My second question, is if I just want to chop some garlic up, and mix with butter, evoo, seasonings,etc.. Do i have to peel the garlic first?

Hi, Beginner. Yes, a head of garlic is the whole bulb, made up of a lot of little cloves. I'd probably do all three heads for two loaves, unless you want to do some of the bread with chopped garlic.

And yes, peel the garlic before chopping. I cut off the root end of the clove (not the pointed end), then carefully whack it with the flat side of my chef's knife. This will loosen the skin and you can take it off. It also does half the chopping for you ;) Whacking it breaks the clove into little slices (not necessarily even, but that's okay). Now you just have to slice the slices and you have tiny pieces.

HTH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom