"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I bought some KA bread flour last week at Wally World and it was $3.89/5 lbs.
I haven't boughten bread in so long, is that going up, too?
You are lucky to get it at under $4/bag, but there are spot places where you can still get such low prices and people should be taken advantage of while you can. It will not last long.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Currently KA flour is $3.19/5-pound bag at our area Wal-Mart stores. Last week a local market had Gold Medal on Saturday Special for $.99/5-pound bag. I bought 2 bags because I was nearly out of bench flour. Normally I use Aldi's house flour for bench flour, but their flour is now up to $1.69/5-pound bag. I use bench flour for breading, etc. so I don't have to "sacrifice" my prized KA flour for those tasks.

As an experiment, I purchased a 25-pound bag of Sam's bread flour a few weeks ago. It was less than $11. I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison with bread made with KA flour and the same bread made with Sam's flour. We'll see.

My current plan is to buy extra flour when it goes on sale and vacuum seal it and store it in a cooler/darker area of the house. No room in the freezer or I'd store it there.

In the end, we all do what we have to do when things get tight. One thing I know Buck and I won't do and that's give up our homemade bread. Actually, we couldn't afford commercially-produced bread. That's gone way off the scale price-wise.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Master Chef

KA bread flour was $3.29 for a 5 pound bag last weekend at my reg supermarket.

My father and grandfather worked for General Mills and we were forbidden to use anything but Gold Medal flour and GM products.

But now that I'm a grown up, I won't use anything but King Arthur.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
OMG, I was in Sam's the other night and their bread flour was $26 ... you better get back there Katie, before it doubles again. I didn't get the AP flour there because it was bleached, and I prefer the unbleached. I can't remember the exact price, but it was a bit less than the bread flour.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
OMG, I was in Sam's the other night and their bread flour was $26 ... you better get back there Katie, before it doubles again. I didn't get the AP flour there because it was bleached, and I prefer the unbleached. I can't remember the exact price, but it was a bit less than the bread flour.
Thanks for the "heads up," Andrea. I'm doing my side-by-side experiment this weekend and will be back at Sam's next Wednesday. My test will determine if I buy any more of the flour at Sam's.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Another NE Ohio price report ...

Paid $5.12/10lb at one Super Wally World last week, $4.94/10lb at another Super Wally two nights ago.

Real tempting to buy whatever they have left. The small sacks are still in the $2 and $3 dollar range.

How long will flour keep both at room temp and frozen? Freezing would be done in air evacuated poly bags.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
Senior Cook

suggestion Katie...go to your favorite bakery-request owner to order you a case...maybe because I live in small community this is possible...if not a corp or chain...rest owners will do it too...King Arthur-maybe because I am a Medieval fanit is going to go up - so - get ready...we'll be paying Japan's prices before long-hope I'm wrong-don't think so
Old 04-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
Head Chef

Let's see... Chicken Little just told Goosey Lucy that the sky is falling... No, no, no, it's the Flour is Rising...Whatever!!! I'm headed to the store and getting several of those $2.58 bags of Bob's Red Mill unbleached this afternoon (just in case). While I'm there I think I'll buy a couple of chickens to see about bringing down my egg prices. $2.29/dz for large at the discount grocer.

Off to the store....
Old 04-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
Cook

I'm shocked. Here in Paris I pay about Euro1 per kilo!!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
I'm shocked. Here in Paris I pay about Euro1 per kilo!!
That's probably because France is not taking all their food crops and trying to turn them into some weird fuel (that actually gets worse mileage) to appease a few splinter groups of people who still dress like Hippies. We tend to do things somewhat knee-jerk on our side of the pond, often without a great deal of thought going into it for the long range outcome. We have found the enemy, and...

I digress before I get banned before I reach 20 posts. (My halo is tilted)

Joe

Tags
None