"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mark View Post
suggestion Katie...go to your favorite bakery-request owner to order you a case.
I used to do that, Mark. Unfortunately the bakery won't do it any longer.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
We tend to do things somewhat knee-jerk on our side of the pond, ...

That includes belief and opinion.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Currently KA flour is $3.19/5-pound bag at our area Wal-Mart stores. Last week a local market had Gold Medal on Saturday Special for $.99/5-pound bag. I bought 2 bags because I was nearly out of bench flour. Normally I use Aldi's house flour for bench flour, but their flour is now up to $1.69/5-pound bag. I use bench flour for breading, etc. so I don't have to "sacrifice" my prized KA flour for those tasks.

As an experiment, I purchased a 25-pound bag of Sam's bread flour a few weeks ago. It was less than $11. I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison with bread made with KA flour and the same bread made with Sam's flour. We'll see.

My current plan is to buy extra flour when it goes on sale and vacuum seal it and store it in a cooler/darker area of the house. No room in the freezer or I'd store it there.

In the end, we all do what we have to do when things get tight. One thing I know Buck and I won't do and that's give up our homemade bread. Actually, we couldn't afford commercially-produced bread. That's gone way off the scale price-wise.
I like Sam's bread flour, we get the big bag.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Well, I don't bake much, so I don't really worry about flour quality vs. price/lb. However, the statistical geek in me was piqued by the 1 Euro / Kilo of flour price quoted by the person in France. I converted currencies, then weights, and that comes out to $3.60US / 5 lb bag of flour, before sales tax (assuming where you live charges sales tax on food, OK does).
Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
We tend to do things somewhat knee-jerk on our side of the pond, often without a great deal of thought going into it for the long range outcome.
In a better reality perhaps.....

It has been reported that wheat prices are being affected by two dynamics: a shortage on the supply side and an increase on the demand side. Supplies have been hurt by droughts in Ukraine, Europe, Canada and Australia, which are four of the world's leading wheat producing. The U.S. is the world's #1 exporter, and U.S. farmers are churning away, exporting about 16.5m tons of wheat this year, almost double the amount they sold in the same period last year.

However, a severe drought cut Australia's wheat crop last year to just 10 million tons, less than half the year before. Meanwhile, Ukraine, the world's eighth-biggest wheat exporter, is already cutting exports after drought cut its grain harvest to 30 million tons, its smallest since 2003. The country will ship 58 percent less grain this year, according to its Agricultural Ministry.

While sellers have less wheat to sell, buyers keep coming in with more orders. That's especially true in traditional emerging economies such as Brazil and India, but demand is coming from some surprising places, like South Korea, and Egypt. Egypt bought 10 times more wheat last month than it did a year earlier, in anticipation of higher prices, according to the country's General Authority for Supply Commodities.

There is a third factor affecting the global wheat market, and that is Russia, the world's fourth largest exporter of grain. Russia has created a "working group'' to consider measures that may include export restrictions, duties and quotas. Kazakhstan also said it plans to introduce licenses for grain exports....and on it goes.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Well, the cost of flour goes well beyond just the cost of flour, so even those who don't bake are going to feel it. Think about quick (pancake, etc.) mixes, cereals, breads, buns, pasta ... all of those processed convenience things many people take for granted. I am big on food drives, and many of the affordable staples people fall back on are going to be just a bit harder to reach. I think it's scary times, personally.

Good info mcnerd, thanks for sharing that.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post

Good info mcnerd, thanks for sharing that.

Same here. But isn't it considered good form to include a link to the pasted source? Or at least a mention of the original citation?

The Grain Drain: 3 Reasons For The Current Wheat Shortage

As you walk by supermarket shelves stocked with loaves of bread and pasta, it seems hard to believe, but the world is currently experiencing a major wheat shortage. ...
Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #28
Master Chef

What is the deal? Is flour really that expensive now?????? YOu can make decent bread flour recipes by add some prebought gluten--I found mine in the local grocery----1 Tbsp. or less is all that you need........here, and I know none of you want to hear it, flour is still very cheap and they have 4 grades......maybe I'll stock my suitcases when I leave in May for Texas.....I'd heard that pizza prices were out of sight now......I guess this is why
Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Well if anyone is interested in stocking up, KA is having free shipping on any purchase over $75 right now.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
I think it's scary times, personally.
When have times NOT been scary? They are just different scary today than they were yesterday. I don't even let it bother me any more. Que sera, sera.

Joe

Tags
None