"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 04-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #31
Master Chef
I remember 1990 when we closed on our house.......savings and loans had been closing left and right and I had to bring an ATM receipt showing what we had in the bank because they were not taking our word for the salary that my husband was bringing....we had no debt, a flawless credit rating and plenty in the bank but I had to still bring in an ATM receipt of our savings right before the closing....ridiculous and insulting.........

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef
At the market today:

KA AP = $3.99/5 Lb

KA Bread = $4.29/5 Lb

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #33
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Well, I don't bake much, so I don't really worry about flour quality vs. price/lb. However, the statistical geek in me was piqued by the 1 Euro / Kilo of flour price quoted by the person in France. I converted currencies, then weights, and that comes out to $3.60US / 5 lb bag of flour, before sales tax (assuming where you live charges sales tax on food, OK does).

No sales or any other tax...in France its all included, including prices in restaurants...no extra service charges or tipping unless you really want to!
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #34
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
To anyone in Metro NYC area, northern NJ. I just got an e-mail form KA flour. Free shipping on any order over $75.00. Maybe make a large order and distribute.

Hope this type of post is not frowned upon on this site.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
No sales or any other tax...in France its all included, including prices in restaurants...no extra service charges or tipping unless you really want to!
Is there still a VAT tax in restaurants? I remember I loved the "no tipping" custom beyond leaving the coins in your change.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #36
Sous Chef
King Arthur Bread flour

Bread flour is distinguished from all-purpose flour primarily by it's slightly higher protein content (which is a result of the choice of wheats used to mill that flour). In general, the higher the protein %, the better the flour for developing gluten. However, higher values for protein don't automatically translate to better bread.

As a rule of thumb, for most bread, around 12% protein is what you want to aim for. Protein values higher than that are for speciality breads such as bagels, or for breads that may contain a very high percentage of flours that have little or no gluten (such as some multi-grain breads). Too high a protein value can actually result in bread that is tough and has a dense crumb.

My brand of choice for most bread baking is "Harvest King" from General Mills. It has 12% protein. While all flours have increased in price over the past 6-9 months, the cost of Harvest King flour remains significantly less than all types of King Arthur flour.

Here are the protein percentages for some King Arthur flours...
Unbleached Bread flour - 12.8% protein
Unbleached All-Purpose flour - 11.7% protein
European-style Artisan Bread flour - 11.7% protein

You'll notice that KA Unbleached All-Purpose flour is actually a better choice for most bread baking than it's Bread flour.

For biscuits, cookies or pastry, you would ideally want a flour with a lower protein value - about 11% or lower.

You can often find the protein content of a brand's line of flours by going to it's web site; if you can't find it in the retail section of the web site, look for a section aimed at professional bakers (or look for a category called "Hotel and Restaurant" which may be abbreviated "H & R". You can also usually contact the manufacturer directly from it's web site and email them your inquiry about their flour specifications.
subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #37
Executive Chef
Have you seen Harvest King available for sale in supermarkets?
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #38
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I think for some people the problem is the quality of the wheat that is used to produce some of the mass-produced flours. The smaller producers are less likely to be using genetically modified wheat, and probably fewer pesticides in the production.

Personally, I have found that I don't have a sensitivity to wheat if I use only organic flour. I know it costs more, but I can't stand the gas the regular flour gives me!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #39
Senior Cook
I just paid $6.99 for a 5 lb. bag of KA bread flour. I was shocked. I usually pay $3.99 and when it's on sale, $2.99.
Sedagive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #40
Head Chef
I guess I really should count my blessings. I pay the equivalent of $1 for a kilo of flour, so for five pounds, I'm paying $2.27. AND, Presidente Calderon just announced a price freeze on 150 grocery staples, including flour, until the end of the year.

Oh, and Sedagive, we just watched Young Frankenstein Last night - still a very funny movie.

Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote