"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #51
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Bread bakers are one of the oldest professions ... maybe not "the" oldest profession .. but you know what I mean.

Bread was made for 8,000 years before King Arthur flour ... bread is still made today all around the world without it.

I know for a fact that perfectly acceptable (actually quite good) bread can be made without it - using those supposedly "inferior" store brands.

Maybe as passioncook said in the title of this thread, "Cost of flour........need to switch" - it might be time to explore less expensive flours.
Point is, Michael, there is likely NOT to be much in the way of "inexpensive" flour of any kind soon, given the cost of fuel, and the new uses for grain, compounded with the floods in the midwest, where most of the grain is grown....

Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Tell me about it! It's up to 4.99 by me here in northern NJ. Pillsbury was only 2.59, so I bought that. Like you, I do lots of baking so flour is necessary.

I made biscuits today, and needed some flour for the board. After I panned the biscuits, I used whatever was left on the board to make the roux for the gravy. Cannot waste even an ounce..

Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Point is, Michael, there is likely NOT to be much in the way of "inexpensive" flour of any kind soon, given the cost of fuel, and the new uses for grain, compounded with the floods in the midwest, where most of the grain is grown....
You're absolutely right ChefJune! But, I believe that if you look at what I actually said, what you quoted, I never said anything about "inexpensive" flour ... what I said was, "it might be time to explore less expensive flours."

I like the consistency of KA; as well as Bob's Red Mill, Pillsbury, Gold Medal, etc. - but there are less expensive store brand alternatives that will make quite acceptable loaves of bread.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #54
Head Chef

In Richmond, KA is $3.59 today. I really don"t know what it was a couple of months ago as KA is not on my things I can substitute list. I like the Unbromided and Unbleached idea. Bread, wheat, and all purpose the same price.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Maybe it's time to get a wheat grinder and make your own flour? It's not easy to get whole grain wheat but I bet it's cheaper in the long run especially if you live in a wheat growing area. A good grinder can be expensive but will pay off in the end and makes the freshest most heatlhy bead ever. My mother used to grind her own wheat and made the best bread ever.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I prefer the unbleached white flour and also I keep whole wheat and other grains etc depending on what I'm making. I could kick myself for not buying more of the the Hungarian High Altitude flour at $3.74 for 5 pounds at Walmart a couple of months ago.I only bought 2 bags. Another thing to maybe stock up on is dried yeast.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #57
Head Chef

I get yeast in 3 pound bags at Costco for around 5 bucks. I am not a serious baker, so 3 pounds lasts over a year. I put it in a ziplock and store it in the freezer. I have never had it go bad.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Maybe it's time to get a wheat grinder and make your own flour?
Like I really need that idea to bounce around my head.

All the questions, all the possibilities.

I wonder if I can convert my coffee grinder into a flour mill? Wife may stop complaining about having it around (My grinder is about the size of a KA600. LOL)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I get yeast in 3 pound bags at Costco for around 5 bucks. I am not a serious baker, so 3 pounds lasts over a year. I put it in a ziplock and store it in the freezer. I have never had it go bad.

3 1/4oz packs: $1.20, ~ $1.60/oz
1 4 oz jar Red Star: ~$5.00, ~ $1.25/oz
Per ounce from Mr. Bulky: $0.25 ~ $0.33
1 2lb bag Red Star, ~ $5.00, ~ $0.16/oz

I figure 1/4 oz yeast / loaf, 1/2 oz per batch. Around 1 lb flour/ loaf, 2 lb per batch. A batch is 6 to 8 buns and a loaf, 2 batches a week.

Thats about right, a jar a month and a sack a week for just breads. Adds up but is still far cheaper than 'store bought chemistry bread", even adding in the honey or whatever else I'm adding to that batch.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #60
Head Chef

You are probably right, Costco yeast is in 2 pound bags. It is Red Star. Homemade bread costs less than a buck a loaf. I use only a bread machine, and only to knead the dough. Takes less time to bake a loaf than to go the store and get one.

Tags
None