Need to switch flour due to cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I really need that idea to bounce around my head.

All the questions, all the possibilities.

I wonder if I can convert my coffee grinder into a flour mill? Wife may stop complaining about having it around (My grinder is about the size of a KA600. LOL)
:LOL: Sorry I brought it up. NOT!

Sir Lancelot has gotten so expensive that I've begun to cut back on the proportion of it which I use in my bread making. Unfortunately, for sour ryebread, there seems to be no good substitute for first clear flour. Thank goodnesss that Pillsbury bread flour has not gone through the roof (last time I looked), but I don't bake bread in the summer. I considewr bread and beans to be the staff of life and the price of both has risen far more than the gov's cpi.

I'm a prolific baker and have used Gold Medal unbleached all purpose flour for many years - it's excellent.

me too, i also have used the store brands over the years. usually less expensive. i figure baking is cheaper than a hunting rifle, or a fishing trip. all in your point of view. lol

babe:chef:

I agree the cost of flour has gone way up. I am out of bread and do not have time to bake till the weekend, I nnede to buy a loaf. Thinking that I would replace my homebaked bread with fresh baked bread, I bought a loaf at Zarros. Thye are a NYC baker. $3.75. A loaf of NYT uses 3 cups of flour. I am not sure how much 3 cups weighs, so I can calculate what the flour costs, but, I bet it is not that much.

Just a thought

AC

Flour here has topped at 10 pesos a kilo (roughly $1 for 2.2 pounds), and the price has been frozen by Presidente Calderon on this and 149 other staples until at least the end of this year.

I agree the cost of flour has gone way up. I am out of bread and do not have time to bake till the weekend, I nnede to buy a loaf. Thinking that I would replace my homebaked bread with fresh baked bread, I bought a loaf at Zarros. Thye are a NYC baker. $3.75. A loaf of NYT uses 3 cups of flour. I am not sure how much 3 cups weighs, so I can calculate what the flour costs, but, I bet it is not that much.

Just a thought

AC

By the time you add everything else in the recipe into the equation - 3-3.5 cups of flour will usually produce a 1-lb loaf. At least, that has been my experience.

I make NYT bread using 1# of Gold Medal AP flour ($1.68 per 5# bag) and pay $2.16 for 1# of SAF Instant yeast. My NYT bread ends up costing about $.40 per loaf not including the gas to bake two loaves. Pretty darn cheap in my book.

I feel bad that flour prices have not moved here in quite some time. I just bought flour on Monday at the local Marc's discount store and paid $1.68 for 5# of GM AP, and $2.58 for Bob's Redmill bread flour. Bought 20# of each. Guess it's just a matter of time before it catches up with us here.

Joe

Thank you all. I suppose that the information rhat I was trying to elicit, was the number of cups of flour in a 5# bag.
I know this is probably not an exact constant, but, a general number would be OK.
AC

I think that is why cakes call for sifted flour. EIther way, that is slightly over 8 loaves of bread, per 5 pound bag, or 50 cents a loaf. I think that the real savings is in the yeast. Those little packets cost tons of money.

Thank you all. I suppose that the information rhat I was trying to elicit, was the number of cups of flour in a 5# bag.
I know this is probably not an exact constant, but, a general number would be OK.
AC

A 5-lb bag of flour is about 75 1/4-cup (30g) servings (per the nutritional information panel on a bag of Gold Medal flour) - 5-lb x 16 (to convert lbs to oz) = 80-oz, 75 divided by 4 (to convert from 1/4 cups to cups) = 18.75 cups. 80-oz divided by 18.75 cups = 4.267 oz per cup.

So, in the simplest terms - 18-19 cups per 5-lb bag.

I didn't realize there was a difference in brands of flour... I just use what I can get cheapest. The commissary doesn't have a ton of options so I use Gold Medal a lot. I make all of our bread products (except hotdog and hamburger buns) from scratch and haven't had an issue. Although I'm still trying to find that sandwich bread recipe that I LOVE.

I buy King Arthur flour largely due to its lack of bromide and bleach. Generally speaking I prefer ingredients as unaltered as possible. However I think that it is just as important to buy ingredients from a store that does a high volume in a given item.
Case in point, I was in a low volume wine and beer store a few days ago, and they had a beer that is not readily available and that I like. On a whim, I checked their inventory records (they are usually on the computer), and the beer had been sitting on a warm shelf for over a year. I didn't buy that beer.

Just got a 2 pound brick of Red Star (dry active) Yeast Saturday.

Under $5.

Same place has ConAgra APF for around $11 / 25 pound bag.

I get Red Star as well. Last I checked, our local Costco sells it for around $2.79. It does freeze well, and considering that those little packets cost around 50 cents, is a really good buy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom