"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need to switch flour due to cost

Well, flour is ridiculous these days as most of us know. I always buy KA flour (both bread and AP) and today at the store it was $5.50 a bag. Sheesh! I do a lot of baking and go through a lot of flour and this just isn't feasible.

Are any of the other brands decent - like Gold Medal, Pillsbury, etc.? I was going to buy it direct from KA but that doesn't end up being any cheaper, in fact its a bit more expensive by the time you add in shipping.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
They are all just fine and all cost just the same. I paid 5.50 for Pillsbury today. Thats just the way it's gonna be.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm a prolific baker and have used Gold Medal unbleached all purpose flour for many years - it's excellent.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Head Chef

I like Gold Medal Bread flour for all of my bread formulas
Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
We really do prefer King Arthur, and have tried a couple other like Hodgson's and Bob's (not sure if I got those names right, but they seem familiar), as well as Pillsbury and Gold Medal. Since we're just baking for family consumption, I'm in a place where I have to buy what's affordable, even if that means the store brand. I do notice a bit of difference on some things, but it's still good home cooking and all you can do is all you can do! I'm running out of things to cut back on ...
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
We really do prefer King Arthur, and have tried a couple other like Hodgson's and Bob's (not sure if I got those names right, but they seem familiar), as well as Pillsbury and Gold Medal. Since we're just baking for family consumption, I'm in a place where I have to buy what's affordable, even if that means the store brand. I do notice a bit of difference on some things, but it's still good home cooking and all you can do is all you can do! I'm running out of things to cut back on ...
I've been doing test baking with store brand Shoprite unbleached AP , it really isn't bad, good enough for the artisan and no-knead baking I do. I do have more expensive flour too and probably will not buy more of those. The breads and cakes are good enough for hubby and me.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought some KA bread flour last week at Wally World and it was $3.89/5 lbs.
I haven't boughten bread in so long, is that going up, too?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Count your blessings. Where I am (Japan) 2.5kg (5lb) bag of flour is 10USD. Butter is 7USD for four sticks and milk, eggs, meat -- everything -- is continuing to rise.

But I feel your pain -- but it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I can get King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat flour for $3.18 a 5 pound bag at Wal-mart. I will pay what ever it takes to buy King Arthur ww flour. Bread is a significant part of our diet, we will sacrifice to eat nutritious bread. I do not compromise when it comes to bread ingredients.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Head Chef

Here in NE Ohio we have a chain store called Marcs (discount grocery store), and I just bought two 5# bags of Bob's Red Mill unbleached bread flour for $2.58 per 5# bag. Guess I'll have to go stock up and get 8-10 bags if the price is going that high. Just ran some numbers the other day and figured that with premium ingredients my bread costs right around $1 per loaf. Compared to the store prices of $2.38 +++ per loaf, I'm still ahead of the game. I didn't realize flour prices were that volatile. I think someone along the way is cheating the public, especially if I can get Bob's Red Mill shipped from Oregon to Cleveland, Ohio and buy it for $2.58 a bag, and I have to presume the grocer is making SOMETHING on the sale. Something is fishy here, and I'm not sure this is all market driven. Call me cynical, but I'd say there's more opportunistic greed at work here than just changing market conditions (international situations excluded).

Joe

Tags
None