"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

New England Hot Dog Buns

New England Style hot dog buns.

Oh yeah! Today I tweaked a recipe to make fresh gluten and corn free hot dog buns. They were perfectly moist and springy. The only problem I had was that using the pan means that my fat little hot dogs didnt really fit in the buns and the bottom split. Time to start making my own hot dogs too lol. The ones at the store are all bland or corny. Well that will be a project for another day I suppose.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisine Purity View Post

Oh yeah! Today I tweaked a recipe to make fresh gluten and corn free hot dog buns. They were perfectly moist and springy. The only problem I had was that using the pan means that my fat little hot dogs didnt really fit in the buns and the bottom split. Time to start making my own hot dogs too lol. The ones at the store are all bland or corny. Well that will be a project for another day I suppose.
You could consider buying thinner hotdogs with different ingredients.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:

You can wrap your raw dough around the hotdogs and bake them as pigs in the blanket. They won't split that way. Feel free to wrap them in cooked bacon, cheese, or thin-sliced ham. Add a bit of sour kraut, or chilli to the filling, or even salsa, before wrapping the dog. Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I am going to try to find some better flavored hot dogs. My local organic store only sells uncured or smoked hot dogs that have corn ingredients so that is why I would like to make my own.

Unfortunately corn and gluten free is a lot more complicated than regular baking because you literally start with a batter. If you do not, the low protein and high carb content will not have enough time and, moisture to cook. You end up with a dry crumbly mess. It makes it impossible to form. Eventually I will try adding a low mold source of protein like a little buckwheat. I do not like millet in anything other than desserts because it is overwhelmingly sweet to me.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
I am going to try to find some better flavored hot dogs. My local organic store only sells uncured or smoked hot dogs that have corn ingredients so that is why I would like to make my own.

Unfortunately corn and gluten free is a lot more complicated than regular baking because you literally start with a batter. If you do not, the low protein and high carb content will not have enough time and, moisture to cook. You end up with a dry crumbly mess. It makes it impossible to form. Eventually I will try adding a low mold source of protein like a little buckwheat. I do not like millet in anything other than desserts because it is overwhelmingly sweet to me.
As the bun is made from a batter, put a popsicle stick into the hot dog, dip in batter, and fry as you would a corn dog. In the past, I have used a plastic drinking straw to remove the center of the hot dog, and then stuffed the dog with various things, like salsa, or American cheese. The fillings you can put in your hot dog are only limited to your personal tastes.

To remove the core of the hod dog, simply spin the straw while shoving it through the center length of the hot dog. Then, stuff it, dip it, fry it, and enjoy.

Another way you might be able to work this is to make tamale dough, and wrap that half way around your dog by spreading the dough onto parchment paper, then placing the hot dog in the middle, and using the paper to roll the dough around the hot dog. Finally, place the paper and dough wrapped hot dog into a steamer and cook for 20 minutes. Serve with chili or tamale sauce.

Just a couple of ideas to get your mind thinking outside the box.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I miss New England style hot dog buns. the closest thing that I have found here is at Trader Joe's, they are nice and soft sided and can be grilled, but they are whole wheat, and I don't wanna be healthy when I'm eating a hot dog!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Master Chef

I tried making them a couple of times using a 7x11 brownie pan.

I could never get that Wonder Bread texture right so now I buy a couple of packages every summer.

They are great toasted and stuffed with shrimp salad!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I tried making them a couple of times using a 7x11 brownie pan.

I could never get that Wonder Bread texture right so now I buy a couple of packages every summer.

They are great toasted and stuffed with shrimp salad!
One of the benefits of living in beautiful New England is having both styles of hot dog buns available.

After hot dogs, their best use for a NE style bun is for a lobster roll.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought a NE hot dog bun pan from King Arthur. It works decent, but I'd still like a larger bun sometimes.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I bought a NE hot dog bun pan from King Arthur. It works decent, but I'd still like a larger bun sometimes.

I agree, they seem to be available in only one size. When I used to buy quarter-pound hot dogs, I had to shift to a larger roll in place of a hot dog bun. Now that I'm back to 'normal' size dogs, standard buns are fine.

Tags
corn free, england, gluten free, hotdog buns, other