New England Hot Dog Buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuisine Purity

Assistant Cook
New England Style hot dog buns.

Oh yeah! Today I tweaked a recipe to make fresh gluten and corn free hot dog buns. They were perfectly moist and springy. The only problem I had was that using the pan means that my fat little hot dogs didnt really fit in the buns and the bottom split. Time to start making my own hot dogs too lol. The ones at the store are all bland or corny. Well that will be a project for another day I suppose. :chef:

Oh yeah! Today I tweaked a recipe to make fresh gluten and corn free hot dog buns. They were perfectly moist and springy. The only problem I had was that using the pan means that my fat little hot dogs didnt really fit in the buns and the bottom split. Time to start making my own hot dogs too lol. The ones at the store are all bland or corny. Well that will be a project for another day I suppose. :chef:

You could consider buying thinner hotdogs with different ingredients.

You can wrap your raw dough around the hotdogs and bake them as pigs in the blanket. They won't split that way. Feel free to wrap them in cooked bacon, cheese, or thin-sliced ham. Add a bit of sour kraut, or chilli to the filling, or even salsa, before wrapping the dog. Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I am going to try to find some better flavored hot dogs. My local organic store only sells uncured or smoked hot dogs that have corn ingredients so that is why I would like to make my own.

Unfortunately corn and gluten free is a lot more complicated than regular baking because you literally start with a batter. If you do not, the low protein and high carb content will not have enough time and, moisture to cook. You end up with a dry crumbly mess. It makes it impossible to form. Eventually I will try adding a low mold source of protein like a little buckwheat. I do not like millet in anything other than desserts because it is overwhelmingly sweet to me.

I am going to try to find some better flavored hot dogs. My local organic store only sells uncured or smoked hot dogs that have corn ingredients so that is why I would like to make my own.

Unfortunately corn and gluten free is a lot more complicated than regular baking because you literally start with a batter. If you do not, the low protein and high carb content will not have enough time and, moisture to cook. You end up with a dry crumbly mess. It makes it impossible to form. Eventually I will try adding a low mold source of protein like a little buckwheat. I do not like millet in anything other than desserts because it is overwhelmingly sweet to me.

As the bun is made from a batter, put a popsicle stick into the hot dog, dip in batter, and fry as you would a corn dog. In the past, I have used a plastic drinking straw to remove the center of the hot dog, and then stuffed the dog with various things, like salsa, or American cheese. The fillings you can put in your hot dog are only limited to your personal tastes.

To remove the core of the hod dog, simply spin the straw while shoving it through the center length of the hot dog. Then, stuff it, dip it, fry it, and enjoy.

Another way you might be able to work this is to make tamale dough, and wrap that half way around your dog by spreading the dough onto parchment paper, then placing the hot dog in the middle, and using the paper to roll the dough around the hot dog. Finally, place the paper and dough wrapped hot dog into a steamer and cook for 20 minutes. Serve with chili or tamale sauce.

Just a couple of ideas to get your mind thinking outside the box.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I miss New England style hot dog buns. the closest thing that I have found here is at Trader Joe's, they are nice and soft sided and can be grilled, but they are whole wheat, and I don't wanna be healthy when I'm eating a hot dog! :LOL:

I tried making them a couple of times using a 7x11 brownie pan.

I could never get that Wonder Bread texture right so now I buy a couple of packages every summer.

They are great toasted and stuffed with shrimp salad!

I tried making them a couple of times using a 7x11 brownie pan.

I could never get that Wonder Bread texture right so now I buy a couple of packages every summer.

They are great toasted and stuffed with shrimp salad!

One of the benefits of living in beautiful New England is having both styles of hot dog buns available.

After hot dogs, their best use for a NE style bun is for a lobster roll.

I bought a NE hot dog bun pan from King Arthur. It works decent, but I'd still like a larger bun sometimes.

I bought a NE hot dog bun pan from King Arthur. It works decent, but I'd still like a larger bun sometimes.

I agree, they seem to be available in only one size. When I used to buy quarter-pound hot dogs, I had to shift to a larger roll in place of a hot dog bun. Now that I'm back to 'normal' size dogs, standard buns are fine.

I actually ran into some at Walmart a week or so ago. Got 2 pkgs .. both still in the freezer though. It was the first time I'd ever seen them here.

Okay, "I'll bite" what is the difference between New England hot dog bun and the kind I might get here in the "left" coast?

The NE style buns are baked all together in a pan so the sides are white (unbaked). The cut is made into the top where the crust is. So when there is a dog in the bun, the top has a crust and the sides do not.

With the other kind of bun, when the dog is in the bun, one side is the top crust of the bun and the other side is the bottom crust of the bun

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
The NE style buns are baked all together in a pan so the sides are white (unbaked). The cut is made into the top where the crust is. So when there is a dog in the bun, the top has a crust and the sides do not.

With the other kind of bun, when the dog is in the bun, one side is the top crust of the bun and the other side is the bottom crust of the bun

Thanks Andy! I think I remember hearing that......duh! It was probably me who asked before. "Mind like a sieve" lol!

I miss New England style hot dog buns. the closest thing that I have found here is at Trader Joe's, they are nice and soft sided and can be grilled, but they are whole wheat, and I don't wanna be healthy when I'm eating a hot dog! :LOL:

I'd be happy to send you some. Pm me if you want

that description seems kinda odd to me.

almost all of the store bought hot dog buns that i buy are baked in close proximity so that the sides are a bit white and still slightly comnnected as such, not with the (somewhat negligible) crust.

the only difference, imo, is how they're split.

am i missing something?

I guess it depends on what you consider the sides, Tom, or which way you hold the hotdog.

One of the benefits of living in beautiful New England is having both styles of hot dog buns available.

After hot dogs, their best use for a NE style bun is for a lobster roll.

Now you are talking my language. It is the one way I will never turn down lobster. And it definitely has to be on a N.E. style toasted bun.

For those of you who don't know what a New England style hot dog bun looks like, take a plain piece of white bread and fold it, top to bottom. The only crust is on the top and it too is very soft like that on white bread. The split is on the top of the bun, not the side. And it has a flat top. Spread soft butter on both sides and place on the grill or frying pan until toasty brown. You now have a taste of heaven.

The lobster roll was started in Maine. (Where else would you expect it to be founded) Just chunks of lobster, chopped fine celery and mayo with a little salt. Served on a N.E. style hot dog bun. I just can't imagine it being served up on any other style bun. The butter toasted bun is the final much needed touch. :angel:

I have eaten here. The church where I was working made a day trip up there at a members summr home. We all stopped there on the way up and had a lobster roll.

There is a clam place in Ipswich that serves only Ipswich clams. It is called The Clam Box. The building is shaped like a clam box. They get their clams fresh every day from the local clammers on the beaches and clam beds in Ipswich. To die for. To walk right over Grandma to get to them. Even step on her if necessay. Big fat bellies. My mouth is watering.

http://www.ipswichma.com/clambox/ :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom