"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well....don't look at it then! Seriously, I don't even see it as being ugly! Geoduck is ugly! Too ugly to eat! That bread is beautiful! (oh, hi son, how the heck are you?)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Master Chef

looks scrumptious to me!!! my tummys a-rumblin.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I think the bread looks great. I'd eat it. Because of the oil in the cheese and salami I would have assumed it might be hard to get the bread to bind top and bottom. I mean, look at calzones, they don't fill in the gaps around the internal ingredients.

Looks good to me ~ and Kitchenelf ~ thanks so much for THAT image you put in my head. YUCK!! I need to go back and look at Joe's bread some more.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I think the bread looks great. I'd eat it. Because of the oil in the cheese and salami I would have assumed it might be hard to get the bread to bind top and bottom. I mean, look at calzones, they don't fill in the gaps around the internal ingredients.

Looks good to me ~ and Kitchenelf ~ thanks so much for THAT image you put in my head. YUCK!! I need to go back and look at Joe's bread some more.
I've never eaten a calzone (or that ducky thingy either), so I'll step out in faith and trust your explanation. I'll go back to my laboratory and see what other concoction I can come up with.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

A Geoduck is a clam that is, to keep it clean for the kiddies, very ugly. I can only imagine what the person who named it was thinking when he bestowed the name on it.

Calzones are pizza dough filled with cheese and deli meat, and sauce for those that like it, and the pizza dough forms around the middle. The oils in the salami and/or pepperoni keep the dough from sticking together. Your bread is essentially the same principle. Essentially, your bread looks great and I'm sure it tastes fabulous.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Seem to me it might be a proofing problem. But let me check with with my bread expert.

Okay so the bread expert says: Over proofing
Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #17
Head Chef

Thanks for your detailed (?) explanation of these foodstuffs. I have conjured some interesting mental images that are better left in their mental state.

OMG, I Googled Geoduck, and can now see why some might have a problem with preparation and consumption. Enough said!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I don't know anything about bread baking but if you put those heavy ingredients in a loaf of bread it seems to me that it wouldn't rise while cooking like it did without those heavy things in it. Between the extra oil/grease and the weight - there has to be gaps like that. I would assume it is perfectly normal.

Seriously - - - it looks GREAT!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Oh and yes I think your bread was beautiful and I am sure it was yummy! I can't hardly get bread out of the oven without devouring it. I eat it as soon as it won't burn my mouth.

Bread is the vessel on which I eat my butter!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef2337 View Post
Seem to me it might be a proofing problem. But let me check with with my bread expert.

Okay so the bread expert says: Over proofing
The bread proofed for 60 minutes...it was the oven spring that did the damage. Actually, I was surprised at how little it actually rose while it was covered on the counter. Oh, well, I know what to expect if I ever make it again. The dog was surely happy!

Tags
None