"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Master Chef

No-Fat Banana Loaf

Goodweed's No-Fat Banana Bread
Made this yesterday on a whim. I didn't intend to make it no-fat but forgot to add the fat while making the batter. I tried a few things differently than with the traditional "Audio's Banana Bread" recipe that I'd gotten from a lady who used to be a part of DC. Oh, and if you don't have that recipe, let me know. I'll post it. It's a wonderful banana bread recipe.

What I did differently is that I used a stick blender to liquify four very-ripe bananas, and used confectioner's sugar in place of ordinary sugar. I also omitted the fat, again my accident. And finally, I changed the flavor profile by using mace in the batter. The result was was a silky smooth and moist banana loaf with a wonderfully different flavor, more complex than simple bananas and cinamon. Try this recipe for something a little luxurious. Maybe serve it up with a drizzle of good ganache spooned over top.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
4 very ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 tbs. double-acting baking powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. cinamon
1/2 tsp. mace
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mash four bananas in a non-reactive bowl until smooth and creamy. Using a stick blender will speed this process considerably. Add the water and eggs, and stir until incorporated into the bananas using a balloon whisk or the stick blender. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Grease and flour the loaf pan. Pour the batter in to fill 3/4 full. Use the remaining batter to make a couple of pancakes, for a treat while you are waiting for the loaf to cook. Place the loaf pan into the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Test with a butter knife. If it comes out clean after inserting it into the loaf, the banana bread is done. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Yum.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Everymom

Great minds GW, I was just going to post my banana oatmeal cake/loaf recipe when I saw this. LOL.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks MM. And Alix, post away. I'm ready!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None