NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
I do 500 degrees for 30 minutes with the lid on the whole time. After that it is done and I take it out and let it cook on a rack.

Sorry GB, is that "cook" or "cool"?

I bake mine at 450 degrees with cover for 30 minutes. Then remove to cool on a rack. SIMPLE. Works EVERYTIME. No failures. Enjoy the process and the bread.

it's in the oven now. I used my circulon 10 quart with lid to use as a receptacle. I hope that's okay. I'll soon find out. I preheated the oven to 515º and the pot too. Yesterday when I made the dough it was early, around 9:30, as the one from the day before did nothing. Never rose at all.
So, couldn't bake it off last night, it hadn't had 18 hours to do it's thing. Wasn't going to get up in the middle of the night to bake it off, so I did it at 8:00 am. I know it's closer to 24 hours than 18 so we'll see. If I screwed up, I'll buy more flour and start again today. Um, I'm concerned it won't work dang.

I'll report back though, just in case there is success here:mellow: now I'll read the other posts on this phenom:huh:

Sorry about your flub, LEFSE. I have let mine go as long as 24 hours with no problem.

I've discovered that mine bakes best at 425 degrees. I use my big, old-fashioned cast-iron skillet with real high sides to bake mine in. The "lid" is my cast-iron grill pan turned upside down. Works like a charm.

I baked a loaf yesterday about 4 p.m. I'd started the dough about 3 p.m. Saturday. Turned out great.

I've figured that if I allow 22 hours, start to finish, then I can gauge my time so that I won't goof up and have to be making bread at 4 a.m. or some other goofy time.

Let us know how your bread turns out.

Hey LEFSE's we are anxious to hear how it turned out.

Honestly, this is the most consistent bread I have ever made. And I have made it over 15 times by now. Love the stuff

I never let it rise a second time. Hadn't remembered that about the recipe. My gosh I just read this entire thread and now it's time to return to bed as I'm exhausted:ROFLMAO: .
Okay, the smell wonderful, the consistency wonderful, the flavor wonderful. I used a clean Emeril towel, the ones he uses on his shows that he always tosses over his shoulder. I lightly floured it and cornmealed it, and no sticking no trouble at all. I thought the dough looked not wet enough when I was making it and added a bit more water. My kitchen was cold and I set the oven [to just come on] then turned it off and placed my trifle bowl in there with Saran on top, tight. It just took the chill off the coldness in here. Put it on the stove last night when I made those chocolate peanut butter cupcakes and never returned the dough to the oven. This morning I took it out of the bowl and plopped it onto the towel, folded it over while the oven/circulon heated up to smokin. I turned it out of the towel, turned it so the folded marks were on top to spread and quickly placed it in the smokin hot oven. Set the timer for 30 minutes and took it out when it went off. Didn't leave it in there any longer because truthfully, being an avid bread maker for all of my very lengthy life, I know how it's supposed to look and sound when bread is done and it was. Plopped it on a wire tray to cool while DH's breakfast was cooking. Sliced it, took the heal, a bit of butter [gad don't tell anyone I just cheated on my diet ] and took my first bite. GOODNESS GRACIOUS SAKES ALIVE........... Simply wonderful.
Not tall enough, and next time I'll use something else. Looked like a panini loaf for sure. DH is sick [and was all weekend] so sans dinner last night. He was asleep. But breakfast thing morning, was two slices hot steamy ‘’yum’’ bread, two over medium perfectly cooked eggs and 5 slices turkey very low fat bacon. He said it was incredible and that the bread rocked.
To me and my way of thinking, the bread needs to be "wet" if it's going to form those wholes inside, it takes moisture. But I could be wrong on that.
I have all kinds of flour. I used AP but next time I'll try WW with some AP or Bread Flour that I also have. I'll also toss wheat germ/whole wheat bran/flax seeds/manchego cheese/sun dried tomatoes/kalamata olives/roasted garlic/roasted shallots. [Must remember that olives, cheese, garlic and shallots will add moisture to the dough.] I will also add more salt as I like salt. To my husband and my way of thinking, all the Tuscan loaves we had in Italy were very bland. I think salt pops the flavor of the bread and I'll use natural gray salt like Michael Chiarello uses. I have it on hand. {Just heard a nutritionist on RR say that iodized salt or processed salt causes eye puffiness and is very hard on the kidneys. I'd like to spare mine, both.} Months ago, Costco had a foil bag of active yeast on sale for $7ish. I bought it and have kept it in the freezer. It's easy to get at and stays fresh at least so far. Those little 3 packs are expensive especially when you don't use them in time and they get old and out of date, like my first attempt at this bread recipe where that was what I used.
I'm a scooper when it comes to flour even though I know better. I don't take the time to spoon it into the measuring cup and then use a knife to scrape it level. Too much work for this girl. My flour lives in my "kitchen store" in a 5 gallon bucket that I bought with a lid, just for the purpose of storing the large amount of flour I use/buy. So, my 3 cups may have equaled [more] as stated by one poster. I wouldn't doubt it a bit. Hence using more water.
That's my report. I hope you all have the chance to make this bread, especially if you're a bread lover. I have a 2 quart rectangular shaped CorningWare with a lid. I'd like to try that as it would give me a taller loaf, I think. Was also wondering if the terra cotta chicken baker with the lid, soaked in lots of water first, would be a good vehicle for this loaf?

I made mine in the insert of my crock pot (ceramic) with a glass lid. Another time baked it in a cast iron dutch oven with cast iron cover.

The crock pot is best for me. Easier to handle, lighter and works every time and I do like the shape of the loaf. (check out page 21of this thread...I think I posted the photo).

Last edited:
I use an electronic scale to do all most all of my cooking/baking, so I just weighed 15 ounces of flour into my bowl. I also use 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, which is 1/4 teaspoon more than called for in the recipe. Another change I made was I use spring water. It's something I learned from Alton Brown. I haven't used any other water, so I have no way to compare if there's a difference. The only flour I've ever used is King Arthur Bread Flour.

I buy 1-pound bags of active dry yeast from the Baker's Catalogue and keep it in my freezer. I pour the yeast into a large glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. I've been doing this for years and years and the yeast is always just fine.

Ours turned out sooo good yesterday that I have another one in the works. We had grilled cheese sandwiches with the bread for lunch today. Omigosh, made Velveeta seem like the finest cheese. I know using Velveeta is sacriledge, but it's what we had. We NEEDED a grilled cheese sandwich using the bread. I have a feeling this loaf will be gone before the other one hits the oven.

Glad you finally see what we've all been raving about. I'll bet you're hooked now!!!:)

I had forgotten all about it until my BIL requested that I make it for X-mas last week. I would love to hear about other variations as well.

It's funny you should bring this up, beth. Beginning on page 18, the January & February 2008 issue of Cook's Illustrated, there is a wonderful discussion of no-knead bread. Great article and they offer variations, as well as enhancing the taste of the bread with the addition of lager. It's "must" try for me. I can't wait to see how it turns out and how it will taste.

hey Katie, is it the NY Times recipe; 3 C. flour, 1/4 t. yeast and 1 1/4 t. salt? lager? for the whole liquid volume? What makes the article so great??

I have been using all whole wheat flour and keeping the dough in the bowl for the whole process. I just flop the dough around when it is time for the 15 minute fold and 2 hour rise.

No, it's not the N.Y. Times recipe, but similar. The ingredients include 3 cups flour, 1/4 tsp. instant yeast, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. water, 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. mild lager, and 1 Tbsp. white vinegar.

They have also created a different way of transferring the dough to the hot pan and have developed recipes for "Olive, Rosemary and Parmesan Bread," "Whole Wheat Bread," and "Cranberry-Pecan Bread."

It's an interesting article and I'm not sure if it's available online, but it would be worth a look-see.

I love that bread! Every time I make it people are so impressed..........I will look for the magazine sounds like some fun alternatives.

hey Katie, is it the NY Times recipe; 3 C. flour, 1/4 t. yeast and 1 1/4 t. salt? lager? for the whole liquid volume? What makes the article so great??

I have read the Cooks Ill. article and also find it great.

If you are not familiar with CI, they always spend at least a page or two explaining the process they went through to create a better recipe, and just why it works. Very much like "Good Eats" on the Food Network if you get that. In this case, the original recipe was considered flat tasting and had various shapes depending on how it was handled getting to the pan.

Their goal is to simplify that type of stuff. For example, they call for some kneading which takes 15-20 seconds, but results in the rise only needing to be only 8 hours. They use parchment to transfer to a preheated dutch oven, so the handling is minimized after the second rise and little if any deflation takes place.

I have never tried a recipe of theirs that turned out bad, and some have been fantastic.

Mozart

I still make it all the time. I worked out my own variation on how to transfer it long ago -- do the second rise in a bowl and dump it in.

update on the nyt artesan bread

I've been passing along this recipe for a year now, and guess what? Cooks Illustrated has improved on it now. It's in their latest issue. Essentially they hydrate the flour slightly less and add beer and vinegar to get that sourness character from a real artesan bakery. they add about a little kneading too to get the gluten strands lengthened because of the less amount of water.
So the procedure here is still the same but here are the changes ** indicates different amounts
3 c. flour
1/4 t. yeast
1 1/2 t. salt
7 ounces water ** (3/4 c + 2 T )
3 ounces mild lager (like Bud) 1/4 c +2 T)

Stir until a shaggy ball, let rise in sealed bowl for 8 -18 hours.

Then when you turn it out on the floured surface, knead it 10-to 15 times.
**Here's another trick they came up with. Form it into the loaf, (it will be a bit easier because it's not so moist)and place it in a parchment lined skillet. Isn't that a neat trick. Now when you transfer it into the Dutch oven, just lift the parchment, bread and all and place into it.
They reduced the heat to 425 when they put the bread in the oven and baked 30 min with the lid on and 20 to 30 min. with it off.

I like the idea of vinegar, but I don't see amounts in your post. Do you recall how much they used? I am guessing a tablespoon or maybe two.

Back
Top Bottom