NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) 18 hours is definitely better than 12.I baked one off today but I put a litlle cornmeal and then a bunch of seeds flax,sesame,poppy,black caraway,sunflower and anise.Turned out great. Seeds stuck on pretty good but I think next time I will spray the top with some water or brush with eggwash then sprinkle seeds and bake so maybe they will stick even better.

using the baking method

Okay, I don't like to eat just this artisan bread but enjoy other types including finer crumb bread. So I took my rye bread recipe, formed it into a round loaf, let it rise and then baking it in the same manner as the nyt bread--ie in the Dutch oven. Only this time, I also didn't want to heat up the whole big oven, so took my clay garlic baker which has a nice round dome, and looked like it would hold about 1# loaf, and just baked it in my countertop convection oven at 500 degrees. Turned out with a great crust and a wonderful moist crumb inside. I did use my instant read thermometer to check on the internal temp of 200. So this is really easy now and as there's just 2 of us, we have trouble often finishing bigger loaves and we like variety.

:) 18 hours is definitely better than 12.I baked one off today but I put a litlle cornmeal and then a bunch of seeds flax,sesame,poppy,black caraway,sunflower and anise.Turned out great. Seeds stuck on pretty good but I think next time I will spray the top with some water or brush with eggwash then sprinkle seeds and bake so maybe they will stick even better.

Omigosh, jp. I've so abused this dough. I've even let it go 21 hours with no negative results.

Alright, i'm gettin ready..

I have been reading most of the posts about this bread, and am ready to try to make it...But i have a few questions...

*I havn't baked with Yeast before, the yeast i just bought a couple weeks ago says 'Quick Rise Highly Active Yeast'.. will this work? Do i have to open it and put it in warm water, or whatever?

*I know there's been discussion about the recipe using too much water, so would you all recommend i use less than 1 5/8?

*And should i use the towel like it says, or is there a better way? I don't have parchment paper...

*I hope i have the right kind of pot to bake it in... I don't know what it's made of, but i have a pretty big pot that i use to make chilli, and other soups, and it has a glass lid (oven safe?) But i've heard some people use the ceramic insert in their crock pot, and set the loaf on a cookie sheet, and use the ceramic insert as a lid over it? The lid that goes to my crock pot has a plastic handel, so i can't use that..

I know this is an old thread, but i just saw it, and would LOVE to try this and take it to my inlaws house on Sunday and surprise them with a wonderful bread! I will start this as soon as i get some help with my questions....:rolleyes:

Thank you all!

getting started on the bread

Well, your yeast will work just fine. Just put in the amount it says in the recipe. Next, if you haven't made bread before, the mixture says "shaggy dough" which is like drop biscuit dough. It will probably take a few times of baking this for you to get the feel of how moisture you like in your bread.
You can use the towel method, but I advise you to buy some parchment paper as it works so good. (brown paper from a paper bag would work alright too. ) It's just so much less messy.
I don't know about the glass lid idea. But that idea of the crock pot insert on top of the cookie sheet sounds innovative.
Hey, it's just bread and it will be edible , however it comes out. Good luck.

no knead bread

This recipe always works. great bread.
Cook's magazine changed the recipe slighly and the result is even better than the original -:chef:
3 c flour1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water at room temp
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons mild flavored lager
1 tablspoon white vinegar
the rest of the instructions are about the same
makes a great loaf

I have made this a few times trying different ways to keep it from sticking to the towel. I tried the beer method with parchment and what a great idea using the paper!! The beer not sure made much difference. But we love it anyway it comes out of the oven!
nancylee

:chef:My bread is doing it's 2 hour resting right now..

So far i think it's okay. I let it rise for 18 hours, covered with seran wrap ontop of our stove. It was all bubbly looking when i got up this morning.:)

It was pretty sticky when i was moving it to the floured countertop, but i had lots of corn meal on the counter, and once i sprinkled more ontop it wasn't so sticky.

I floured my towel real well, and plopped it (seam side down) on the towel, then covered with another towel. I think someone said that if you put it in a smaller bowel during the 2 hours it might rise a little better than being on the counter? I just set it in the crock pot i'll be using to bake it in... We'll see!

I'm excited about this bread... I have never successfuly made bread before. Thanks so much for posting this recipe... I will let you all know how it turns out...

I SUCCESSFULY MADE BREAD!!!!! :):chef:

It is soooo good!!! I LOVE the flavor of it!

A couple questions though,

The crust on my bread was so hard i had a hard time cutting it.. is that normal?

And i was looking forward to the 'snap,crackle' noise after i took it out of the oven, but wasn't any to be heard?...

I have 2 more loafs rising right now! I LOVE IT!

nothing smells better than a loaf of bread baking on a cold day. it is snowing here and I wish I had set out my dough last night. I will do it tonight so tomorrow will be warm and cuddly. I just bought some good Irish butter that will go just perfectly with it.

This is so unbelievably easy it isn't even funny. You follow the directions as given. No oiling no nothing.
I don't make artisanal breads either because --well, they are hard to do.
The loaf that you get looks like the best European bakery!! Crusty, pully, holey.
hmm holey? Must be for Sundays ... Just kidding :LOL:

Okay, I don't like to eat just this artisan bread but enjoy other types including finer crumb bread. So I took my rye bread recipe, formed it into a round loaf, let it rise and then baking it in the same manner as the nyt bread--ie in the Dutch oven. Only this time, I also didn't want to heat up the whole big oven, so took my clay garlic baker which has a nice round dome, and looked like it would hold about 1# loaf, and just baked it in my countertop convection oven at 500 degrees. Turned out with a great crust and a wonderful moist crumb inside. I did use my instant read thermometer to check on the internal temp of 200. So this is really easy now and as there's just 2 of us, we have trouble often finishing bigger loaves and we like variety.
Certainly inventive and creative! :)

What I posted back a page is what their recipe is. They are difficult to get their stuff out. I suggest you go to the library and get the last issue and just read it. CI seems to want you to pay for anything they do.
I agree about CI making one pay for the info or getting recipes. :mad:

Now one more llittle trick that helps. I have those thin silicone sheets that come from the kitchen stores in 2 in a roll. I use them for all my cooking and baking sheets, and they have lasted for 4 years so far. Well, after doing the baking paper route for letting the bread rise and then lifting the unbaked loaf into the Dutch oven, I thought I'd try using those silicone sheets. Voila! It was perfect. No mess, no burnt paper , easy to handle. What could be quicker?

I made the bread last night and it was wonderful! I brought in half the loaf to share with some friends at work and now 3 of them are shopping for Dutch ovens. :devilish:

I also used silicone baking sheets and it worked great.

I apologize in advance for these dumb questions!

I'm going cross-eyed reading all 11 pages looking for how to use the parchment paper trick?
I may have a day off tomorrow to play with this with my oldest son. Haven't made any yet.
ANy other tips?

:)When you get to final rise put dough on parchment and then into bowl when ready to bake pick up dough with the sides of parchment and put in DO. Make sure parchment is big enough to be able to pick it up.

should the parchment go most of the way up the sides of the DO?

Back
Top Bottom