"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #171
Chief Eating Officer

The video interview I saw with the guy that created this recipe actually only used a cup and a half. If 1 5/8ths still seems like too much then you may even want to try less.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #172
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
The video interview I saw with the guy that created this recipe actually only used a cup and a half. If 1 5/8ths still seems like too much then you may even want to try less.
I am going to make a note of that right now - thanks GB.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #173
Sous Chef

kitchenelf, try the smaller pot. And measure the water exact. And when you add the water ....stir...and make sure it forms. You may need to sprinkle a little more flour...until it leaves the sides of the bowl. .and take a slight shape. Not loose,runny. You should be able to ALMOST form a ball. I am trying to give you directions to help you get the correct moisture content.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #174
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
kitchenelf, try the smaller pot. And measure the water exact. And when you add the water ....stir...and make sure it forms. You may need to sprinkle a little more flour...until it leaves the sides of the bowl. .and take a slight shape. Not loose,runny. You should be able to ALMOST form a ball. I am trying to give you directions to help you get the correct moisture content.
I can assure you I appreciate it VERY much! I had a feeling that gloppy mess wasn't exactly right! It sure was good when it was hot! I will report back when I cook it the next time. THANK YOU for your help.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #175
Chief Eating Officer

Kitchenelf, watch THIS video. It is a video With Mark Bittman interviewing Jim Lahey (the man who created this bread). They discuss the recipe and actually make a bread so you can see every step and see what it should look like.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #176
Sous Chef

Well, I just watched the video and the version I made is just slightly different -

3 c a.p. flour
2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 c warm (not hot) water

The technique was the same - except did I miss the 2 hour rest after the 18 hours and folding it? (the darn phone rang...) = the one I made called for that 2 hour rest and then all was the same.

I've made two loaves now - the first one didn't rise much, but the second one did raise somewhat more. Same yeast (well out of the same jar) and same dutch oven. Must be the goodies in the air?? and the humidity??

Both tasted just wonderful! I'm so hooked on this method.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #177
Sous Chef

I have further evidence that this recipe CANNOT be messed up!! ;o) We were at the beach (away from my kitchen supplies/equipment!) and I made the bread for our friends to whom I had sent the recipe.
Made the sponge--fine. For baking the only thing I could piece together was a cast iron frying pan (and not terribly well seasoned) and a deep (4" sides) round cake pan that woud fit down inside the diameter of the frying pan.
It worked PERFECTLY!! Delicious bread, beautiful crust and interior texture!

Made some at home yesterday. I let the first rise go for 24 hours--afternoon to afternoon. I added the little bit of extra flour and put it in my large 8 cup measuring cup (it is about 6" across and 6" deep) with a saran wrap liner. I forgot to bake it until too late at night so let it go until the next morning. By that time it had risen to the top of the cup/bowl.
Baked--absolutely BEAutiful!! And delicious. It might have been just a bit better if I had slashed the top with a razor the way many artisanal loaves are done.

I had just a "nubbin" of foie gras in the freezer. I toasted some of this bread, seared the foie gras and served it with a blueberry gastrique I had made for it. Nirvana!!! And just for good measure, dipped some of the bread in the rendered duck fat!!

On another board it is being "reported" that folks are making a larger loaf by just increasing the amounts of ingredients a bit. Just an FYI.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #178
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
On another board someone uses another CI pan for the lid to their "bottom" one.
Thanks for passing along this idea, but that will not work in my case. My bottom has a bail handle that interferes with the lid, and would not allow anything with any height to be placed on top of the pan. But I am thinking about your latest post. I have a 3 inch deep cast iron pan that I will look to see if I can find something to act as a lid, maybe another CI pan would work here?? Thanks again!!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #179
Sous Chef

bethzaring, Do you have a crock pot? I use the ceramic insert and the glass cover to my crock pot. Makes a wonderful loaf.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #180
Senior Cook

Aria,
Do you bake it in the crockpot? Is the lid oven safe?
Also, what size crockpot?

Tags
None