"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #231
Executive Chef

Maybe I didn't add as much garlic as you, plus I added during the 2 hr rise. My bread was still crusty.

My favorite is either plain or with the cheese.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #232
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
Well, I think I'm going to stay with a slice of the bread smeared with roasted garlic and other goodies. I added roasted garlic to the dough during the fermentation stage (about 12 hours into it) and it really worked fine, except for the first time the crust was not the wonderful crisp crust as all the other loaves have been.

So, I'd rather give up the garlic than the crust. But the flavor was asolutely wonderful!! Darn.
I wouldn't think that the garlic would make any difference in the crust. Were the baking times covered and uncovered the same? I really think it must be something else.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #233
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
I wouldn't think that the garlic would make any difference in the crust. Were the baking times covered and uncovered the same? I really think it must be something else.

I agree. I don't think the garlic would have much to do with the crustiness of the bread.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #234
Sous Chef

I gave my neighbor the New York Times No Knead Bread recipe. She purchased a Hamilton Beach Crock Pot with plans to use the insert for baking this bread.

The insert was oval shape. She used 1 & 1/2 recipe. And the loaf was well shaped, delicious and turned out well.

She does NOT like the Artisan type, crust, texture etc. She made me a gift of the Hamilton Beach Oval Shaped Crock Pot.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #235
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
I gave my neighbor the New York Times No Knead Bread recipe. She purchased a Hamilton Beach Crock Pot with plans to use the insert for baking this bread.

The insert was oval shape. She used 1 & 1/2 recipe. And the loaf was well shaped, delicious and turned out well.

She does NOT like the Artisan type, crust, texture etc. She made me a gift of the Hamilton Beach Oval Shaped Crock Pot.

Wow! I can't imagine not liking that bread. I bought bread from a bakery on Saturday -- bread that I used to love -- and it just pales in comparison to this particular recipe.

That you got a brand new crockpot out of the deal is great
Old 02-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #236
Executive Chef

Half way through my very first loaf of this bread, DH was muttering that he did not like this bread. But by the end of that first loaf he had changed his mind. Now he looks around the kitchen for any of "that tough bread"
Old 02-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #237
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

H and I love this bread, but it doesn't keep well - gets to hard -any suggestions ?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:14 AM   #238
Sous Chef

That is a characteristic of this style bread--very like the French baguette, which is basically inedible about 6 hours after it is baked! Having no shortening contributes to that--but if it had shortening, it wouldn't have that big hole/artisanal texture. It is a tradeoff.
That said, I have been surprised at how good it IS the next day. Mine is often very moist when baked and the next day it is a bit '"dryer" and the crust is softer. We have had very good luck using for several days, particularly for sandwiches.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 AM   #239
Executive Chef

After we've had a few slices, I wrap my bread in 2 layers of saran wrap and then put it in a ziplock. Granted it loses the hard crust but the bread lasts several days with no other ill effects.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #240
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
this style bread--very like the French baguette, which is basically inedible about 6 hours after it is baked!
I have had the exact opposite experience. My bread has remained perfect for many days after it was baked. You would not be able to tell the difference between my 3 day old bread and my 1 hour old bread.

Tags
None