"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #251
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Isn't it great John ! I also increased my yeast to half teaspoon, we love it ! Sons don't, - good - more for us !! Yum

Old 02-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #252
Sous Chef

John, you could use your cast iron oven as the TOP and use a cookie sheet for the bottom. Turn your dough onto the cookie sheet after the preheating time and then put the oven over the dough.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #253
Head Chef

I'll have to try that on my next loaf Barb. Does the dough rise more?
Cando, that's a great idea. You should have seen the way I unceremoniously plopped the dough into the dutch oven It was by all accounts pretty pityful.......
Old 02-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #254
Sous Chef

JohnL, That's the beauty of this recipe you can "plop" the dough and it still makes a good loaf to enjoy. Do you have a crock pot? You can use the ceramic inside.

I know you are going to bake this bread often. Try and get a pot easy to use. You will enjoy baking this bread more and more. Almost can't fail.

There must be a simpler POT for baking? Yes? Seek...you may find.
Garage sale? Thrift shop? It will be your BREAD POT.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #255
Sous Chef

John, oh you are hooked now, I'll bet!!! I've brot everything with me in our 5th wheel - this oven really sucks, but if it works here, then I'll believe the person who first said, you just can't mess up with this!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #256
Sous Chef

cjs, Just make sure the oven is well heated 450 degrees with the pot you are going to use in it. Remove, plop the dough in and wait for the great results. Keep us posted.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #257
Senior Cook

I baked a loaf for dinner with another couple. They couldn't get enough. I wish I had made 2 loaves.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #258
Executive Chef

hum, well, like many others, it seems not possible.
I'll try it, what have I got to lose?
but with so many recipes calling for so much more yeast, I can't see how this could or would work.
Question, when you plop the dough into the hot/heated/smoldering receptacle you're going to use to bake it in ie. a le creuset or the inner part of my crock pot, do you let it rise in that, or no, just put the lid on and put it back in the oven? it'd be so neat if this did work and the testaments are wonderful but I'm a bit leary.
don't get home until tomorrow and after watching the video, it'll take about a minute to pull it together, then all I need is the rest of the weekend.
so 500 degrees for 30 minutes, take off lid and then how much longer in the same smokin hot oven?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #259
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Nope, no additional rising. Just plop the whole glob into the hot vessel. Put the lid on and bake as directed. You will be rewarded with awesome bread. Have faith!

I didn't bake mine at 500 degrees. I found 425 worked best for my cast-iron pot. Remove the lid and bake for about 15 or more minutes. The bread will come right out of the pan and it will "crackle" as it cools on a wire rack.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #260
Chief Eating Officer

I do 500 degrees for 30 minutes with the lid on the whole time. After that it is done and I take it out and let it cool on a rack.

Try any of the ways mentioned and you will find what works for you. You will not mess it up though no matter which way you use.

Tags
None