NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first batch is out and the 'good' loaf is devoured! Neither loaf rose too much, but the second one is just not too great at all. The dough was terribly sticky and was difficult to handle, so next time I'll add more flour when I take it out after the initial set time. Still tastes good.

WELP, What do you know???? The baking moron (me) managed to turn out a loaf of this stuff!!! Looks pretty and tastes really good! The only draw back was the large amount of flour caked on the loaf. I used a clean paint brush and removed the most of it. Definately trying this one again!

Made my first loaf of this yesterday. Awesome bread! It was my first loaf of bread not using a breadmaker, and it won't be my last. I used cornmeal on the towels and didn't have a sticking problem and the roasted cornmeal looks great on the bread.

Made my first loaf of this yesterday. Awesome bread! It was my first loaf of bread not using a breadmaker, and it won't be my last. I used cornmeal on the towels and didn't have a sticking problem and the roasted cornmeal looks great on the bread.
Welcome to the addiction!

WELP, What do you know???? The baking moron (me) managed to turn out a loaf of this stuff!!! Looks pretty and tastes really good! The only draw back was the large amount of flour caked on the loaf. I used a clean paint brush and removed the most of it. Definately trying this one again!

way to go sattie, what a baker you are!!

Dh loves the flour caked on the bottom, he thinks it is icing:wacko:...for me, i take the bread knife and scrap it off!

I've enjoyed reading these posts... I started a loaf last night, am about to turn it out and shape it, will bake it in a couple of hours. I'll let you know how it goes. It does seem a little wet right now, will add a bit more flour as I turn it out.

Man, oh man, oh, man! This bread turned out as I hoped! Chewy exterior, similar to an "artisan" bread that I get at a local grocery store for $2.99-$3.99, but even better! Amazing. I've got to go wash the bowl now in order to get tomorrow's bread started!

Man, oh man, oh, man! This bread turned out as I hoped! Chewy exterior, similar to an "artisan" bread that I get at a local grocery store for $2.99-$3.99, but even better! Amazing. I've got to go wash the bowl now in order to get tomorrow's bread started!

Gotcha! Now you're hooked. NYT bread is awesome. Make some with roasted garlic and chopped fresh rosemary. The loaf will vaporize.

Here are some pics, actually, trying to figure out how to post pics...

Attachments

• IMG_5654.jpg
    IMG_5654.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5656.jpg
    IMG_5656.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5658.jpg
    IMG_5658.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5665.jpg
    IMG_5665.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 138
We like to use this type of bread for French toast.
It would be good for mufaletta (sp?), too, I imagine. or cheese fondue, or as a butter delivery agent... bread of choice for just about anything but a tea sandwich.

WOW! I didn't know you could make NYT bread in Wyoming.:LOL: Just kidding. Beautiful loaf, I'm sure this is just the beginning of long relationship with this bread. Next we'll be hearing about all the stuff you'll start adding to your dough; dried fruit, seeds, nuts, cereals, cheeses....

Back
Top Bottom