"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #371
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
pots to use

I have finally settled on my favorite pot to cook this in. My clay chicken cooker. It's perfect, makes an oblong loaf that we like for sandwiches as well as slices for the toaster. That along with using my thin silicone baking sheet to place it on and then leaving it on that and just lifting it into the clay pot, it's perfect, no messy counter,cloths or hands. The only thing I could covet that might be better is one of those soapstone pots, but $100 is too much right now.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #372
Senior Cook

I've been using a round pot (left photo) to make my bread and am thinking of switching to a more oblong shaped pot (right photo). I don't know if the oblong pot is heavy enough and it is stainless. I'm hoping the oblong pot will keep the bread from spreading out and will stay more loaf shaped. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cookware 001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	4774   Click image for larger version

Name:	cookware 002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	4775  

Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #373
Chef Extraordinaire

i made it putting the dough in a regular loaf pan. glass. then used a second one for the lid. it worked out well and was easy to slice.

babe
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #374
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedagive View Post
I've been using a round pot (left photo) to make my bread and am thinking of switching to a more oblong shaped pot (right photo). I don't know if the oblong pot is heavy enough and it is stainless. I'm hoping the oblong pot will keep the bread from spreading out and will stay more loaf shaped. Any thoughts?
I have found in experimenting with different pots that the clay seems to give me a better crust and a more even bake than my aluminum Dutch oven. My cast iron Dutch oven worked really well too, but I needed that in the upstairs kitchen.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM   #375
Sous Chef

New York Times Bread

As mentioned in previous threads....this is the GREATEST RECIPE for making a hard crust bread.

And the pot...experiment. It MOST cases it works. Depending on the shape you want. Go for it. It is such fun. AND anyone can make BREAD.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #376
Senior Cook

bread pan choices

Even though I love this easy crusty bread, the method of cooking it in this Dutch oven is what I love. last night I made a 2 # loaf of currant bread that had milk, a little honey , a little butter,an egg, and it was a really nice dough. I baked it in the 450+ oven in the Dutch oven and it was lovely, with a great crust and soft on the inside , just right for the cinnamon , and currants I had rolled up in it. about 25 min.with the lid on was all I needed. I'm doing all my bread recipes in the covered baking dish.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #377
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona View Post
I find photos immensely helpful whenever I attempt an unfamiliar recipe. I've made No-Knead Bread five times now, so here are mine. If you haven't made this bread yet, I hope they'll encourage you to do so.

you deserve a BLUE RIBBON for this post. excellent job, job well done and much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #378
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedagive View Post
this is the one I use, only mine's yellow. this one is for sale on an auction site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	161346172_tp.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	4930  
Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 AM   #379
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post

you deserve a BLUE RIBBON for this post. excellent job, job well done and much appreciated.
Wow. I tried to go back to find those pics, LEFSElover. I had to go all the way back to post #79 to find the step by step you referred to. Yes, job well done, subfuscpersona. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #380
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookbookie View Post
This recipe always works. great bread.
Cook's magazine changed the recipe slighly and the result is even better than the original -
3 c flour1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water at room temp
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons mild flavored lager
1 tablspoon white vinegar
the rest of the instructions are about the same
makes a great loaf
instead of lager or beer, could I use soda water or sparkling water? I'm allergic to beer

Tags
None