NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have the dutch oven (my next purchase) I have a prizer ware casserole that is 10 inches across but no lid. Could I do this without a lid or put foil on top?

I have since made this bread twice more with great success.

I don't use the floured towel (too messy and it stuck) -- I let rise for second time in a greased bowl.

I use my 5.5 quart LC instead of the bigger one.

nancylee said:
I don't have the dutch oven (my next purchase) I have a prizer ware casserole that is 10 inches across but no lid. Could I do this without a lid or put foil on top?
I did a search on "prizer ware" and it appears to be enameled cast iron. Am I right? If yes, it would be perfect.

You say it is "10 inches across" so I assuming its round (or oval?). Actually, the shape doesn't matter but how high is the side? Is it at least 3" (a little higher would be better)?

Re no lid: you can try devising a domed "lid" for the casserole from aluminum foil. This is what the blogger did who posted the No-Knead Bread (dinner roll adaptation). Check out the link but here are the key points
use aluminum foil to make a tented lid that fits around the pan. The tenting part is important—if the foil doesn’t rise well above the pan, your rolls will stick to it as they rise. You may need to join two pieces of foil. Set the foil “lid” aside and put the pan in the oven so that it, too, preheats.

You would preheat the casserole but put the foil tent on top after you put the risen dough in it.

I would say to give it a try. If you do, please post back to this thread and tell us how it worked out.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
I don't use the floured towel (too messy and it stuck) -- I let rise for second time in a greased bowl.

quote]

Well, I LOVE the idea of letting it rise the second time in a bowl instead of a towel! Is there any downside to it? I just did what I was told, without questioning it, but I'd much rather not mess with towels.

I do like the cornmeal all over the bread, so I'd like to keep that part of the process.

Lee

the prizer ware worked wonderfully I got a nicely browned bread, no sticking on the towel because I used a lot of oat bran and flour. But, I baked 450 for 30 min then 10 uncovered (I used foil), when I cut it it was moist, no airy holes, very dense. I guess not high enough temp and not cooked enough. I didn't have the bubbly look after 18 hours either. Back to the drawing board. darn..... It looked so good too.

nancylee said:
...I didn't have the bubbly look after 18 hours either...

I'm not a great baker but I'd venture to guess that your yeast is not good. I'm sure someone with much more know how will be along to help you. Good Luck!

I agree that if it's not bubbly then there is something wrong -- perhaps with the yeast. I always dissolve mine in warm water.

Made mine with cheese this weekend. YUMMY!

The bowl works great. I just think the towel thing seems too complicated. Plus the towel gets messy.

Oh yum jennyema! Did you freeze it (the cheese) before you mixed it in? Also, when did you add it and did it affect the bake time? That's a great idea!

JMediger said:
Oh yum jennyema! Did you freeze it (the cheese) before you mixed it in? Also, when did you add it and did it affect the bake time? That's a great idea!

No I didn't freeze it. I microplaned about 1/4 cup of manchego cheese and mixed it in when I mixed in the extra flour after the first rise.

I then topped the loaf with about 1/4 cup coarsely shredded manchego about 10 min before it was supposed to be done.

It did add cooking time but I am not entirely sure, as I had let me first rise go about 24 hours and the dough got a bit weepy, so it was wetter than usual when it went in to bake. I am guessing the cheese may have added 5-10 min.... I always use a thermometer to test doneness @210.

The bread was excellent!!

I would use a bit more cheese in the dough, though the people I was experimenting for don't like it real cheesy.

I think the most important lesson of the recipe is to use more salt that called for -- especially if you are using kosher salt which has larger crystals than table salt. IMO you will be pleasantly surprised at the heartier "bread" flavor brought out by more salt.

I am now taking orders for this bread from friends and coworkers. Seriously.

Gosh, I would hate to see this thread die, so my experiences to share---this bread was awesome. I used my 4 quart (liters) crockpot insert with an inverted 9 inch pie plate as a cover (saw that idea on some posting to this recipe) and it was wonderful-----I did use less than a tablespoon of salt as someone had suggested and it was great-----I let my dough set for about 19 hours---we don't have fast rising yeast over here and I don't know where I read it (must have researched this recipe for hours) but I used 2 teaspoons of a Russian worded yeast package(not 1/4 teaspoon)of the fast acting type, and it worked beautifully. Didn't taste yeasty at all. Anyway, bottom line is that this is a wonderful bread and fun to make. NOTE: because of all of the postings of the yuck experiences of sticky dough and towels I elected to use my Kitchen Aid silicon baking mat to manipulate and allow it to rise on-----Fantastic----and I used a small cleaver to move it around (fold for the initial rising and then to push (pour) into the final baking dish due to its stickiness--just flour it and it's a breeze. Would NEVER put this sticky dough on a cloth towel to rise--not worth the hassle. I saw the horror pictures on some of the sites. Great recipe and thanks to all who gave all their opinions and suggestions on making this an easy experience!!!!!

yes, subfuscpersona, I have tried this recipe with whole wheat bread flour, using 2/3rds ww to 1/3 white. It has worked out very well. I have made five loaves so far. This is my current favorite bread recipe!!

nancylee said:

This is a pretty incredible buy in a dutch oven. Not enamel cast iron, but still nice. I don't know if it is what you would be looking for. For enamel cast iron, you might search on Amazon for Lodge--there was one for around $60 (6qt) and Mario's line is about $99. They are nice--I've seen them. Made by Copco.
Amazon.com: Farberware Cast-Iron 5-Quart Covered Dutch Oven: Home & Garden

Just read this thread for the first time and am dying to try this recipe. I have never had any luck with yeast bread before (tried twice)- :( maybe this one will work out for me ! Thanks all for the tips. :)

I would love to use my pyrex because I'd like my loaf taller. Has anyone tried this yet. Would the oven be too hot for it?

Half Baked said:
I would love to use my pyrex because I'd like my loaf taller. Has anyone tried this yet. Would the oven be too hot for it?
This food blogger, No Knead Bread - A Rustic Loaf! successfully used Pyrex. Check out the link (has photos). It says, in part,
I bought new Pyrex and it seems to work quite well. Many though have warned that Pyrex could be dangerous and possibly shatter, so use at your own risk! I bought a 5 quart bowl and use a Pyrex pie plate as a lid - a $10.00 solution. As Pyrex ages, it becomes more likely to shatter due to the continuous heating and cooling, so if you go the Pyrex route, buy new.
I think the problem with Pyrex is you don't know if repeatedly using it on the high heat required for this bread would weaken the material. At some point you might be using the Pyrex for something else and it might shatter on you. Given the safety problems, and that you can't tell what will happen (or when), I'd personally stay away from Pyrex.

You can use any shape container, so you can go with something taller than it is wide. If you use a 4-quart capacity pot, for example, just make sure the sides are high enough to accommodate the rise (figure it will rise in the pot about 2-3 inches, depending on the size of the base of the pot).

Last edited:
Half Baked said:

I think the point of this bread is an oven within an oven--so that the bread is not actually in a pan (as making it "taller"). I'm not sure if that is what you mean by using your pyrex. The bread is "free form" within the vessel that is being used as the "oven".

Second time was great! I made the bread again. First time my yeast was bad so it didn't raise. Well today it was a great loaf. I used the towel method, covered with lots of oat bran and flour. Didn't stick at all. Baked it in my vintage prizerware cast iron. so glad I tried again.........yumm

nancylee said:
Second time was great! I made the bread again. First time my yeast was bad so it didn't raise. Well today it was a great loaf. I used the towel method, covered with lots of oat bran and flour. Didn't stick at all. Baked it in my vintage prizerware cast iron. so glad I tried again.........yumm
hi nancylee

So glad you tried a 2nd time with such success.

One question: Since you didn't have a lid for your prizer ware cassarole, what did you use to cover the top?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom