NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used foil. Not the best scenerio but all I had. Some day I will find the right price, right size Le Creuset!
I also used 1/2 t. yeast but next time I will use the 1/4 as per directions.

What a good idea about the pie plate.
I am making a batch today that should be interesting. It has been sitting initially for over 24 hours. And I am letting it rise in a saran lined bowl to see if I can keep it from spreading so much (I don't think this is a new idea). Anyway, will report later in the day hopefully.

Mine yesterday may have been the best yet. I left the first "sponge" for a LONG time--maybe 24+ hours. I lined a smallish bowl (maybe a quart) with saran and turned my floured dough into it so it was sort of contained and really showed its rising (rather than being so free form and spread out). Turned it over into the baking pan. Beautiful bread with great texture and taste.

Thanks I will try the pie plate next time. I really used a lot of bran and flour on my cloth, put the dough on top and put that into a bowl, covered and when I turned into the pot to cook it didn't stick to the cloth at all! Don't fear the cloth.....

I just made this again for the 3rd or 4th time, but this time I made it in FL at my grandmothers house. My results were a bit differnt because of the humidity difference, but it still came out good.

I used a stainless steel soup pot as that was all she had and that worked fine. I used table salt instead of kosher and I used about a tbsp. That turned out to be too much. At home I use kosher so the measured amount is less than the same for table salt.

The crust did not get as crisp as at home, but is was not bad.

expatgirl said:
Good luck, Candocook!!! I didn't find the spreading out of dough to be a bad thing, however, and I've made this bread twice.

Oh, I've made it lots--and agree that the spreading is not a real problem. But I did like the way this turned out.
Yes, I am using more salt than called for--and a bit more yeast.

I think the bread needs to "temper" after baking to get some of the moisture out of the interior also. This was my best one--wonderful dipped in olive oil for an appetizer.

Just baked my first NY Bread-- looks kinda ugly, lopsided ! lol, guess I got to try again, haven't tasted it yet- too Hot. used rapid rise, but it wasn't real bubbly after almost 24 hrs. ! Hmmm ? (It was dated 2008),Iam determined o make a nice loaf !

I love this bread, Barb...try again. It's wonderful. Maybe you'll feel the same way after tasting it.

edited to add....yeah, it's ugly (at least mine are).

Last edited:
Barb L. said:
Just baked my first NY Bread-- looks kinda ugly, lopsided ! lol, guess I got to try again, haven't tasted it yet- too Hot. used rapid rise, but it wasn't real bubbly after almost 24 hrs. ! Hmmm ? (It was dated 2008),Iam determined o make a nice loaf !

It doesn't need to be 'real bubbly".

My ugly bread was really good, DH brought home Pizza's, but all I ate was the bread, loveeeeeee bread ! (Had a doughnut too) :rolleyes: Hopefully the next one will be a little prettier.

It may or may not make a "pretty" loaf. My last one I let rise in a bowl lined with saran (as I think I posted). A large measuring cup I have--8C, rounded bottom--might be my next second rise receptacle.
The bowl (and measuring cup) lets the dough hit the cornmeal dusted pan in a "pile" and keep some of its risen height better.
I think this bread would make a killer "French bread pizza" base!
I also think it needs to cool and get some of the moisture out of the middle to be at its best.
Making more today!! It requires so little, why not!!

Artisian Bread Recipe

Oh my gosh just got finished baking the bread recipe that was is the New York Times. It finally cooled and I got to eat a big slice. That was the first bread I ever successfully baked, and I am 68 years old. Yeast and bread always acared me. BUT NO MORE, and OMG was it ever good.It was so crispy on the outside and so soft and chewy on the inside. That is the kind of bread I enjoy with a big bowl of soup, or a big salad or a big bowl of stew. I feel like an accomplished baker now. Will certainly be baking more for gifts etc. Thanks ever so much.:) :) :)

Each time I make it, I try to make it even easier:

1) After the 18 hr rising period, I don't turn it out onto anything. The towel process is horrible and if I had to do that, I wouldn't bother with the bread.
2) Now I just sprinkle the dough (in the same bowl) with a little flour and use a spatula to fold it over a few times.
3) I let it rise for the 2 hrs in that bowl.
4) Sometimes, before I put the bread into the hot pot, I sprinkle the bottom with some cornmeal but I really don't notice it enough to bother with this step anymore.

I LOVE this bread and Mr HB laughs and calls his office The Bakery. When we start getting low on bread :pig: , I just stir up another batch and his office is the warmest room in the house.

Half Baked, I hate the towel process too so I have cut it out as well. I take a place and put flour and cornmeal on it and turn the bread out onto that after the first rise. I cover it with plastic wrap. When it comes time bake then it is very easy to just pick up the plate and dump the dough into the pot.

I made this again for Xmas dinner and it came out great as usual. I have settled on an oven temp of 500 degrees and baking for 30 minutes. I do not need to uncover and cook to brown after that as it is already perfect at that point.

Back
Top Bottom