NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know if you saw my suggestion, GB, but a small bowl works really well too--lined with saran. Makes a slightly taller loaf for me.

Candocook said:
Don't know if you saw my suggestion, GB, but a small bowl works really well too--lined with saran. Makes a slightly taller loaf for me.

Cando - let me see if I have this right. In the 2 hr rise step, the small bowl makes the loaf taller? (I've only had one cup of coffee :rolleyes:.)

Candocook said:
Thanks for all the tips - I used 1/2 tsp. yeast,but I usually let my rest for 24 hrs. (cause I start it in the morning, usually) and my second rise in a smaller w/ deep sides, didn't use plastic wrap -just dusted the bottom w/cornmeal -top too -then sprayed plastic wrap and placed on top-then towel ! Hubby and I really like it a lot !

Half Baked said:
Cando - let me see if I have this right. In the 2 hr rise step, the small bowl makes the loaf taller? (I've only had one cup of coffee :rolleyes:.)

Instead of letting the final rise--2-3 hours or whatever--do it on the towel, as some have said they don't like, I have been putting it in a smallish bowl--maybe about 6" in diameter. Because of its shape and the bowl sides, the bread doesn't flatten out as it does on the towel. So when it is dumped into the baking bowl, it is a bit "taller" a blob of dough than it is if left to rise on a flat surface. It has more shape, if that makes sense.

I made the bread over the weekend and OH MY GOD it is delicoius!!! Everyone who has tried it either wants the recipe or wants me to make it for them...I have never had bread this delicious...

The bottom did burn a little and I did not go the extra 15 minutes to half hour to brown (it was already browned) but WOW! Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

Also...since I am a little lazy about laundry I didn't want to mess up my towels so I did my final rise on cheesecloth...Worked beautifully. Just another thought.

Do I use something to grease the pan that I bake in?
I want to start this today, so please help.

No grease is necessary. Have fun!

Thanks for the explanation, Cando. I read back over all the posts and wasn't it your idea to put it in an 8 cup measuring cup? That sounds like a great idea.

Last edited:
Essiebunny said:
Do I use something to grease the pan that I bake in?
I want to start this today, so please help.

No grease is necessary but put some cornmeal on the bottom of the pan.

I use the inside ceramic from my Crock Pot. And I just flop the dough in.
No grease...no cornmeal. It does NOT stick. Comes out easily.

I just removed the bread from the oven.
It is so beautiful!!!!
The final test is taste which I will do as soon as it cools some.

OK, Essie, how did you like it? :LOL: Isn't it the best homemade bread you've ever made?

Yes I am curious as well Essie. Let us know if you were in bread heaven.

I have another one rising right now and will cook it when I get home from work. this time I added some cheddar cheese.

This bread is wonderful!!!!!
We ate most of it with olive oil and parmesan. Who needed the pasta!
I told my son about the recipe, but he wants a demonstration before he tries it. He said it sounds much too easy.
Tomorrow, I will finish this loaf as toast and another batch will be in progress:LOL: .

I toast it as garlic bread for Italian food and many other dinner dinners. My last idea was to broil slices with cheese on top and eat with tomato soup. mmmmm

I can't imagine this bread ever leaving my Top 10 recipe list.

I'm going to go start a new loaf right now.

The one I made last night with cheddar was by far the best one I have made. I used about a cup of shredded sharp cheese. I mixed it in when I combined the flour, yeast, and everything else. I could eat 4 loaves of this all by myself.

Glad I saw this before I headed down, GB. I'll put a cup of cheese in mine this time.

Thanks! :)

OK I have a question, and I am a little surprised no one has asked it already.

Can the recipe be doubled to make a larger loaf?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom