NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
OK I have a question, and I am a little surprised no one has asked it already. Can the recipe be doubled to make a larger loaf?
I've doubled the recipe (the easy part) but I baked 2 loaves, each in its own 5-quart cast iron dutch oven. My poor oven shelf complained a bit about the weight, but the breads came out fine. This would seem an easier solution than guessing about baking times, which would probably have to be longer for a bigger loaf (but not 2x longer).

Last edited:
GB, what would you cook it in if you doubled it? I have a cloche that is probably 10" in diameter and my one loaf always fills that diameter. Is your loaf smaller and higher? I'd like to get to that also.

Candocook said:
GB, what would you cook it in if you doubled it? I have a cloche that is probably 10" in diameter and my one loaf always fills that diameter. Is your loaf smaller and higher? I'd like to get to that also.
I think I would just make two loaves, I only have one pot , so I would plop the other one in when the first one was done ! Our one loaf doesn't last long around here !!

I have been using my 7+ quart LC dutch oven. Right now with one loaf it sits on the bottom and does not touch the sides. The bread does not rise a ton, but that is fine with me. I am thinking with if I double it then it will climb the sides some and come out a bit taller.

I have one rising its first rise now, wanted to add cheese --- forgot ! Could I sprinkle it in during the second rise when folding over? Might try it anyway !

Baking time adjustments for double recipe in 7-8 qt pot?

GB said:
I have been using my 7+ quart LC dutch oven. Right now with one loaf it sits on the bottom and does not touch the sides. The bread does not rise a ton, but that is fine with me. I am thinking with if I double it then it will climb the sides some and come out a bit taller.
hi GB

well, ppl here and elsewhere have reported success using smaller pots - down to 4 qt capacity but with higher sides - precisely to get that higher loaf (even Bittman says this) Your 7+ quart LC dutch oven could probably take a double recipe. (Maybe you could try using a little less than twice the recipe - you don't have to use all the dough even if you double the recipe)

I'm finding with my 5qt CI dutch oven, the bread pretty much fills the pot to the top when I take the lid off after the first 30 min of baking. I also find that the bread bakes up higher when I use a somewhat domed CI lid, rather than the flatter Lodge CI lid (even this small, additional "room at the top" makes a difference). The dough has so much water, it needs not only room to expand, but extra room at the top to trap the steam during the entire lid-on baking stage, to create the appropriate environment for a good rise. I also find the loaf shrinks back a little during the last 15-20 min baking with the lid off, as it continues to emit steam.

If you double the recipe, you need a longer baking time. I would guess about 40-45 min with lid on (rather than the 30 min the recipe calls for) and maybe 25 min with lid off, though the lid-off stage would be easier to monitor. It would be the lid-on stage that would be trickier in terms on timing. And it would need a longer cooling time, since the loaf continues to bake from stored heat and give off additional water vapor as it cools.

What do other ppl think would be appropriate baking times if the recipe is doubled and baked in a 7-8 qt LC dutch oven? Anyone tried something like this?

Last edited:
GB said:

I don't think it will, but would be interested to see.
I have often baked "french" bread in a souffle dish to get that shape.
I am not really sure this bread will "climb" but if you do it in a narrower pan it might stay in that shape. I just don't think there is much "oven spring" to this recipe.
I have doubled and just baked twice, letting one batch stay in the second rising longer. I do kind of like my mixing bowl/big measuring cup for rising the second time.

Now I will be forced to make another loaf using cheddar cheese.
I can taste it already.;)

My cheddar cheese has been rising for 14 hrs and is HUGE. I've never had the dough absolutely fill my designated NY Times bread bowl. It may be on the floor by morning.

Actually, I let it rise so long that it fell by half. I'll see how this turns out.

Last night I thought it was going to look like the Lucy show when her bread just kept coming and coming out of the oven.

For some reason my bread was really sticky when I took it out to due the last rise. Wasn't like this the other two times I made it. Hope I can get it to plop out of this bowl (have a little cormeal on the bottom and top). Clueless - :neutral::unsure:

My cheese loaf is in its tenth hour and looks great!
I'm taking this one to a neighbor tonight. I'm bringing recipes because I know people will want them.

I have a cheese loaf and a reg loaf both in the second rise right now. Both look excellent. I relaxed on the timing on these a bit. Usually I got for around 18 hours, but these two are closer to 24. They rose in a warmer environment that usual too as we had the wood stove going so it was nice and toasty in the house.

These will both be brought to our friends house tonight. We are having cheese fondue so the reg bread will go great with that. The other bread we might use for dipping in oil or something else.

On another board a poster reports that her husband is increasing the flour by abut 50% and getting a more well formed boule. Just an FYI.

IMPORTANT EDIT. I went back and it turns out he is increasing EVERYthing by about 50% to get the larger boule. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Candocook said:
On another board a poster reports that her husband is increasing the flour by abut 50% and getting a more well formed boule. Just an FYI.
Intresting, gonna try it Mikey ? Let us know if you do !

The cheese bread is magnificent. Thanks for tossing that idea out, GB.

I was concerned about my bread falling during the rise (mine was about 24hrs) but it rose up fine during the 2 hr rise.

Cando - I think I'll try more flour next time for kicks.

Back
Top Bottom