"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #81
Assistant Cook

I don't have the dutch oven (my next purchase) I have a prizer ware casserole that is 10 inches across but no lid. Could I do this without a lid or put foil on top?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #82
Master Chef

I have since made this bread twice more with great success.

I don't use the floured towel (too messy and it stuck) -- I let rise for second time in a greased bowl.

I use my 5.5 quart LC instead of the bigger one.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #83
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylee
I don't have the dutch oven (my next purchase) I have a prizer ware casserole that is 10 inches across but no lid. Could I do this without a lid or put foil on top?
I did a search on "prizer ware" and it appears to be enameled cast iron. Am I right? If yes, it would be perfect.

You say it is "10 inches across" so I assuming its round (or oval?). Actually, the shape doesn't matter but how high is the side? Is it at least 3" (a little higher would be better)?

Re no lid: you can try devising a domed "lid" for the casserole from aluminum foil. This is what the blogger did who posted the No-Knead Bread (dinner roll adaptation). Check out the link but here are the key points
Quote:
use aluminum foil to make a tented lid that fits around the pan. The tenting part is important—if the foil doesn’t rise well above the pan, your rolls will stick to it as they rise. You may need to join two pieces of foil. Set the foil “lid” aside and put the pan in the oven so that it, too, preheats.
You would preheat the casserole but put the foil tent on top after you put the risen dough in it.

I would say to give it a try. If you do, please post back to this thread and tell us how it worked out.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #84
Head Chef

[quote=jennyema]
I don't use the floured towel (too messy and it stuck) -- I let rise for second time in a greased bowl.

quote]

Well, I LOVE the idea of letting it rise the second time in a bowl instead of a towel! Is there any downside to it? I just did what I was told, without questioning it, but I'd much rather not mess with towels.

I do like the cornmeal all over the bread, so I'd like to keep that part of the process.

Lee
Old 12-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #85
Assistant Cook

the prizer ware worked wonderfully I got a nicely browned bread, no sticking on the towel because I used a lot of oat bran and flour. But, I baked 450 for 30 min then 10 uncovered (I used foil), when I cut it it was moist, no airy holes, very dense. I guess not high enough temp and not cooked enough. I didn't have the bubbly look after 18 hours either. Back to the drawing board. darn..... It looked so good too.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #86
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylee
...I didn't have the bubbly look after 18 hours either...
I'm not a great baker but I'd venture to guess that your yeast is not good. I'm sure someone with much more know how will be along to help you. Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #87
Master Chef

I agree that if it's not bubbly then there is something wrong -- perhaps with the yeast. I always dissolve mine in warm water.

Made mine with cheese this weekend. YUMMY!

The bowl works great. I just think the towel thing seems too complicated. Plus the towel gets messy.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #88
Head Chef

Oh yum jennyema! Did you freeze it (the cheese) before you mixed it in? Also, when did you add it and did it affect the bake time? That's a great idea!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OK - it's time to go get some yeast - you guys are killin' me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #90
Assistant Cook

And in the Times today, there is an article about the many questions that have been raised here, and everywhere else.
I'll post a link!!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/di...tml?ref=dining

Tags
None