NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sure that would give the liquid you need but the flavor might not be there. I don't think it is the sparkle that you need but the flavor. would the alergens cook out in the oven?? if you rty the sparkling water let us know how it turns out.

I am sure that would give the liquid you need but the flavor might not be there. I don't think it is the sparkle that you need but the flavor. would the alergens cook out in the oven?? if you rty the sparkling water let us know how it turns out.
people always ask me that, if I cook out the beer in a fryer or bake it or cook it out wouldn't that then be okay? Um, I'm not going to do that to find out:LOL:. The doctor never told me that it would be okay to do any of those methods. I think the reason why=he doesn't know what about the beer I'm allergic to, only knows next time, it'll be the third time, and it'll be my last.:ohmy:

I'll admit it, I read all the posts in this thread. I hope it is okay to bring this thread up again--old new but good news.

Started some bread yesterday morning, prepared the towel and basket and dough this morning. It's going in the oven in a half hour! :chef:

Then, I started another loaf last night, which I want to try tonight, and I may add cheese, tomatoes, herbs (my buddy herb) from the garden, mmmmmmmm I'm so excited!

I'll report back my progress.

The first loaf, in an oblong casserole w/cover, turned out very even, dense, nice, mmmm.
The second one I put in cheddar cheese, basil, and fresh chopped romas. The crust was harder but still good, the inside moist, dense, even. I even brought some to share at work today. MMMM, I'll make this again.

Last edited:
I just flopped my second try at this bread in the DO. What a fiasco.
Even though I had rubbed flour into the towel and sprinkled even more on, following two sets of instructions trying to get it right this time, the bread stuck to the towel. It had soaked right into it from looking at the wetspot on the inderside. And of course all that shaking was dumping all the excess flour into the DO.... not sure what will happen there, if it will burn or not, but it smelled like it was. Anyway, I scraped the remaining dough off the towel and through it in on top.

I'm wondering if I need a different recipe, one that isn't so "moist". I couldn't get this dough into a ball either, so the "seam side down" in the instructions once again had no bearing on the glop I've been nurturing since yesterday this time.

But, the end result is not yet here, so we'll see...

Even though I had rubbed flour into the towel and sprinkled even more on, following two sets of instructions trying to get it right this time, the bread stuck to the towel. It had soaked right into it from looking at the wetspot on the inderside. And of course all that shaking was dumping all the excess flour into the DO.... not sure what will happen there, if it will burn or not, but it smelled like it was. Anyway, I scraped the remaining dough off the towel and through it in on top.

I'm wondering if I need a different recipe, one that isn't so "moist". I couldn't get this dough into a ball either, so the "seam side down" in the instructions once again had no bearing on the glop I've been nurturing since yesterday this time.

what recipe were you using ? I've noticed there were several versions of NYT bread recipes.

:) Sounds like you need to add a little more flour to your dough.Instead of a dish towel get some parchment paper cut a square to fit in a bowl about the same size as your DO when ready just lift up paper and dough and put in DO and bake as usual

what recipe were you using ? I've noticed there were several versions of NYT bread recipes.

The one from the NYT site posted in the front of the thread. It's just a gooky mess the whole way through, even though I get those bubbles after the first rest like I'm supposed to.

Here it is. I'm glad I only left it uncovered for 5 minutes. The brown/burnt flour you see at least brushes off. I just hope it doesn't taste burnt. The bottom is fine.

Attachments

• fiasco bread.jpg
    fiasco bread.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 208
Thanks jp. I DO have some parchment paper I could have used. I'm using this thing KA sold me that I used the first time, but for some reason the dough didn't stick to it the first time I tried making it. It's called a couche or something???? Looks like brown burlap and you keep it in the freezer because of the flour that accumulates on it. They said you use it when making crusty breads.... like Italian bread.

:) Sometimes it take a bit of practice to get a feel for the dough I'm guessing its a bit humid where you live so you may need to add a bit more flour to your initial batch. Where I live its really dry usually around 20% and I always need to add more liquid to my yeast doughs.Your dough should be wet but not soupy and be able to hold its shape a little it will loosen up as it ferments. Then when you knead it add enough flour so it isn't super sticky and wet. Also double check your measurements and make sure your oven is the temp you set it by using an oven thermometer.

Thanks. The last time I made it, which was the first time I made it, someone said there's a lot of room for error when I mentioned how mooky it was. Granted, it didn't taste bad... but making it is such a PITA, that I don't like to bother with it.
I will make it more "dough-like" next time so I can actually make a ball with it.

I appreciate the help jp :)

just back from taking a short drive to Longs drugs in Lihue while the hub slept for a while.
jotted down their aisles there, looking for that Maui Mountain wing sauce and didn't find it there, very odd.
but did see several things I could have purchased to make my NYT bread great as in wheatberry, some sort of strange like groad oats, milled something or other, and on and on, but don't want to take it home on the plane so didn't surrender...........

I've ordered Instant Yeast, but in the meantime, all I could find was regular active yeast..will this work alright? I can see where it might take longer; would adding an extra 1/4 tsp help keep it on the right time schedule?

I've ordered Instant Yeast, but in the meantime, all I could find was regular active yeast..will this work alright? I can see where it might take longer; would adding an extra 1/4 tsp help keep it on the right time schedule?

Sure, just use the 1/4 teaspoon. The gluten will still develop over the long fermentation process of 12-20 hours.

Sure, just use the 1/4 teaspoon. The gluten will still develop over the long fermentation process of 12-20 hours.

Thanks! Can you guess who's kicking herself for tossing her old crockpot liner?!? No wonder my mother hated to throw stuff away.:rolleyes:

Thanks! Can you guess who's kicking herself for tossing her old crockpot liner?!? No wonder my mother hated to throw stuff away.:rolleyes:

If you have a covered Corningware casserole at least 3.5 qt, that will work just fine. Let's see, I think I have a picture of that somewhere....OK, here it is:

img_732494_0_252ea1e189cd0bde168550289e8a49ad.jpg

Back
Top Bottom