NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gretchen

Washing Up
This was in the Times this week and is sweeping other cooking boards. It is a new way to bake a loaf of "artisanal" bread. And it flat out works. I made a beautiful loaf yesterday.
You use a pan to bake it in--a Le Creuset, stockpot, Corningware, cloche (which is what I happened to have).

It does take 2 days to make--one to put together 4 ingredients and the next to let rise and bake. It is NO knead--you just bearly fold the very wet dough over itself twice. The interior of my loaf was airy and "pully" and the crust was formidably crusty!!

Do not undersalt--I did (didn't really measure). And others have mentioned this too. It was delicious with good olive oil, coarse salt and coarse pepper however!! There is a video on the Times site that you may be able to access.

This is kitchenelf:

Due to copyright violation please follow this link to the New York Times No-Knead Bread Recipe. You will have to sign up but there is no fee and it's painless :chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very interesting! Generally I am not into "artisanal" breads, but I will try this recipe.

Gretchen, did you initially oil the bowl for the first step? And specifically, what flour did you use?

Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks so much for posting that you tried this recipe & that it works!!

I saved it from the Times with the intent of trying it, but there's nothing like a personal recommendation.

This is so unbelievably easy it isn't even funny. You follow the directions as given. No oiling no nothing.
I don't make artisanal breads either because --well, they are hard to do.
The loaf that you get looks like the best European bakery!! Crusty, pully, holey.

We'll see, Gretchen. My dough is going through it's 18-hour rise now.

I bought "Rapid Rise" yeast since my store didn't have anything labeled "instant yeast".

I am afraid of yeast - have never been able to make it work, even with a thermometer in the water. And yeast senses my fear.

Though I've never had luck making bread, I am determined to learn. This recipe sounded like one I could "get back on the horse" with.

Thanks for posting it - I will report the outcome.

Lee

I might have to make this bread ahead of time and use it for my Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding at Thanksgiving!!!

kitchenelf said:
I might have to make this bread ahead of time and use it for my Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding at Thanksgiving!!!

The taste is a bit "tangy" so it really might complement it nicely.

HO. LY. COW!!!

Gretchen this is fantastic!!!

I just tried a buttered slice of my first successful loaf of bread EVER, and it was unbelievable! Just as you described - DELICIOUS and perfect!

I'm so tickled with myself, with the recipe and with YOU! I sent it to a ton of my friends, many of whom are brilliant cooks and who are probably rolling their eyes at my glee, but I just had to share this with them!

I will have some tonight, with olive oil and seasonings, to go with my taco-less taco salad.

Thank you SO much for posting this!

Lee

Attachments

• No-knead bread.JPG
    No-knead bread.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 522
  • No-knead sliced.JPG
    No-knead sliced.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 535
It is as depicted!! pictures that pretty don't lie. Thanks for posting the example.

Yum! Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding!!!

If you have time, kitchenelf could you direct us to that recipe or what thread it's located on. This place is full of wild mushrooms!!

Thanks and I'm definitely going to give this bread recipe a try as well--I love to make bread!!

Thanks!!

kitchenelf said:

Is this Mark Bittman's column?

I am curious how the gluten develops without kneading.:huh:

I have heard rave reviews of it from other places too. Will try it soon ...

expatgirl said:
Yum! Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding!!!

If you have time, kitchenelf could you direct us to that recipe or what thread it's located on. This place is full of wild mushrooms!!

Thanks and I'm definitely going to give this bread recipe a try as well--I love to make bread!!

Thanks!!

Here you go - Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding

Be sure and read all the notes people post - you can learn some good tips.

I used bread flour. Others have used just AP. The sponge rises for the 12-18 hours it sits on the counter. It is lovely to smell.

We had some tonight with EVOO at our tailgate and let me put THIS bug in your collective ears.
This bread would make KILLER paninis!!!!!

Gretchen said:
I used bread flour. Others have used just AP. The sponge rises for the 12-18 hours it sits on the counter. It is lovely to smell. quote]

The smell is amazing. My bread is doing the 2 hr rise, right now. I sure don't have any seams though. Mine is like the blob. Hope I didn't do anything wrong. :(

Half Baked said:
Gretchen said:
I used bread flour. Others have used just AP. The sponge rises for the 12-18 hours it sits on the counter. It is lovely to smell. quote]

The smell is amazing. My bread is doing the 2 hr rise, right now. I sure don't have any seams though. Mine is like the blob. Hope I didn't do anything wrong. :(

It can be longer than 2 hours but just don't expect a BIG rise. It isn't. There just isn't enough "structure"--or yeast!-- to do that. This is a shallow dense loaf with all the good "pulliness" of peasant bread. It is also more moist than most breads--but it is really done.
Prepare to be amazed!!

I'm really looking forward to serving this tonight. I can't believe the smell - kinda sourdoughish.

Ok Gretchen, ya got me:) There is nothing I love more than making bread, so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow or start it this afternoon if daughter picks up the kids on time..Your description and the picture Qsis posted did the trick..And, thank you.

kadesma:)

Gretchen said:
4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) illy browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1 1/2-pound loaf

I wonder if this recipe could be cut in half.. because the biggest heavy pot, I have is a 4 quart pyrex???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom